Moonfleet Sailing - Cruise from Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loginname

Visit site
It looks to me as if the only problem with Moonfleet is that they don't vet their clients before taking them on board!
From everything I've read, I would hate to be on a boat with the OP.

She would probably hate to be on a boat with me too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Giblets

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Messing up on planning that leads to a newly arrived crew going to bed hungry on their first night on board is inexcusable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The front page of Moonfleet's web site states that "Evening meals are not provided on joining evenings and weekends." - seems pretty clear to me unless, of course, the joining instructions state differently.

It might be worth fully reading the web site before making adverse comments about it.

David_Jersey

Visit site
Re: Moonfleet Sailing - Cross Channel Cruise

[ QUOTE ]
Well done for replying, as has been said, the lack of input from the OP makes their points very weak indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure if that is entirely correct. Simply because they have decided not to get sucked into an internet slanging match doesn't mean they actually enjoyed the trip.

And maybe with the benefit of hindsight they wish they had complained earlier and louder and maybe even not started this thread. Who knows.

If I was running a bizness that involved dealing with Punters from the street I would not simply discount their feedback - no matter that it was recieved in a less than ideal manner. If not a clear cut bad experiance, most less than happy punters won't confront or even complain afterwards - just simply not return and not recomend. So a no complaints record may not be as useful as it seems.

The impression I get (whether fairly or not) from both this Thread and the Website (which I think is Ok'ish - but could easily be a lot more useful from more information without uitilising computer mumbo jumbo) is that Moonfleet provides a fish & chip style experiance. and is priced accordingly.

Whereas Carol & Gary were expecting more "bistro" (even though not promised such). The road to hell is paved with assumptions /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I understand that price is a major issue in this line of bizness, no doubt dragged down by amateurs, dreamers and also part-timers simply wanting to cover some boat costs..........so that fish & chip style is the best model - and if yer have lasted 10 years then the basics must have been right - but it doesn't mean that things still can't be tweaked, just cos' something has been ok for many years doesn't mean it cannot be refreshed. The market and expectations do change over time. sometimes unfairly. but change nonetheless. As Moonfleet are also selling an experiance it doesn't have to be about spending more money.

And of course using the Carol & Gary experiance as part of a learning curve does not make them "right" or that you would ever be able (or want!) to cater for folk with their requirements / expectations....just makes them of interest.

m00nfleet

Visit site
Thank you for your positive comments on our website, feedback from our clients suggest that the website is good and readable.

Tranona

Visit site
I am amazed this thread is still going! Moonfleet has responded and their account is very different from that of the (now silent) OP.

And yet posters are stilling raising issues that are either nothing to do with the post - such as what makes or does not make a good course, are RYA certificates worth anything, or is a full English breakfast a good thing, or should the website be different , what makes a good service business, whether Moonfleets courses are "bistro" or "fish and chips" etc etc. These are are all good subjects for discussion, but not in relation to an alleged dispute where none of us knows either party, were not there, have no other involvement and therefore are not in any position to make a meaningful comment!

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am amazed this thread is still going! Moonfleet has responded and their account is very different from that of the (now silent) OP.

And yet posters are stilling raising issues that are either nothing to do with the post - such as what makes or does not make a good course, are RYA certificates worth anything

[/ QUOTE ]
Who appointed you to the position of internet forum Ayatollah authorised to make decrees on what represents a worthy forum post?

This thread had astonishing momentum before I pitched in.

A key complaint in the OP was the expected tuition was not delivered. This tweaked a belief of mine that competent crew trainees get a poor deal on school boats and my own experience is that some schools consider the qual to be a simple attendance rubber stamping issue.

Loginname

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And yet posters are stilling raising issues that are either nothing to do with the post -

[/ QUOTE ]

...and now you've raised the issue of whether postings are anything to do with the original issue. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lakesailor

Visit site
Are issues of issue relevant to the original issue?

Tranona:
Threads grow organically and develop into different subject areas. That's how it works. If that doesn't suit everyone, well, it's tough.
Other forums may have moderators who jump in and chop and change threads to keep them on course.

On the other hand other forums can be as dry and bleak as Death valley.

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you bother to read previous posts before replying to me?

[/ QUOTE ]
If Noel had not chosen such a dumb user name to speak on behalf of his business there would have been less confusion.

Anyhow pulling apart the details it is not the comprehensive rebuttal that others think. The OP did not state she had turned up expecting food but said others had. If Moonfleet valued their customers they should have thought, damn the correction might not get through to everyone so given the isolated location they better lay on some light bites so people do not go to bed hungry.

The door handle and the "I am holiday too" issues were true and I don’t think Moonfleet addressed the lack of tuition complaint which, to me, is the most interesting element of the OP complaint.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to only purchase goods and services from organisations that have spent a fortune on a shiny new website that is your perogative, but don't expect us all to have such shallow values.

[/ QUOTE ]
Err now you are contradicting yourself. In an earlier post you were critical of the bare bones DIY Happy Shopper feel to the site. Presumably you are aware there is a sensible middle ground for improvement of that site, if not you seem to be writing 1,000’s of web site designers out of a job?

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the Forums.

You really have set the tone for your future here.
We have lots of people coming along just use this place as a Whinge place to get your Beef onto the Internet. Its valid, but hardly good manners.

You dont say what your experience had been prior to this week, what research you did, what recommendations you sought, what your expectation were.

I can think of another well known and respected sailing school, whose proprietor is known for his crap food, in fact its an in joke. Hes only just discovered that Quiche casn have bacon bits in it. He does not pretend to be Jamie Oliver, but he can sail a boat.
Did the brochure show details of steaming hot Trad English Brekkers? A typical menu sent with the details?
Did they ask what special dietary needs you have?
Seems pointless loading up on Bangers and Bacon to a boatload of Veggies. Planning I guess.

If you cant arrange a supplementary goodies stash, that probably your problem. Oh, is that mouldy Cadburys? Thats not good enough, I only eat Green & Blacks! See, bit whingy eh?

Did the wet weather gear actually do its job? If so, then it was fit for purpose, no?

Sorry, but your post just comes across as a wet weekend in February. Sailing is like that I am afraid.

Are you sure sailing is for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree with FC on this one, you should have tried a cruise on the QM2 or such a vessel if comfort is what you were after.
When I done the DS practical there were a couple who left on the night we met up, apparantly they werent prepared to share a 36ft boat with 3 other trainees, their loss as it cost them £800 odds for nothing, and they really missed an excellent week with good food and a brilliant skipper.

Loginname

Visit site
I don't agree with you about the value of the CC course.

It's years since I did mine but it was a very enjoyable experience indeed and, all these years later, I am still concious of how much I learnt. I went on the course to learn about sailing and, more importantly, to find out if I would enjoy it. On both counts I would rate it 10 out of 10.

There were several things on the sylabus which were not covered, but there were also many things which were not on the sylabus which were covered. Why? Because the instructor was clearly trying to "stretch" us as much as he could in one week. I got my CC, but I also learnt a lot of the CS course too.

I have no idea what the food was like; we had many meals in pubs. We never went hungry and food was simply not an issue. I do remember that, when we got back, whilst clearing up, we kept finding food that we had forgotten loading at the start of the week!
We quickly became a crew and worked together as a good crew should. There were people on board who I would not want to spend time with on shore, but we were able to work together on the boat. All good YM stuff!

The boat was old. It had been worked hard but it was seaworthy and safe. The heater did not work and the course was in October. Nobody was concerned. We worked around it; one reason why we had a few more pub meals than intended!

FWIW I think the RYA courses are superb.

Loginname

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
When I done the DS practical there were a couple who left on the night we met up, apparantly they werent prepared to share a 36ft boat with 3 other trainees, their loss as it cost them £800 odds for nothing, and they really missed an excellent week with good food and a brilliant skipper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds are that "he" had persuaded "her" to come on the course, but the harsh reality of being on a boat hadn't occured to her. "She" then put her foot down and "he" had to give up sailing!!

One of the best bits of advice I had on my course was when I asked my skipper how I could get SWMBO interested. "Take her on a flotilla holiday in Greece".
I did. It worked!

curve

Visit site
Surely anyone doing their day skipper would have some experience to know that they wouldn't be the only people on the yacht with the skipper or is it a case of the modern malaise of not reading things properly and rushing straight in.

hannahjames

Visit site
For what it's worth I think it's rather harsh people are now criticising about Moonflete's website... what's it got to do with us how good (or not) their website is???? I think it's credible that Moonflete came here to face the music (criticism) and yet still gets blasted.. Give the guy a break!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.