Moonfleet Sailing - Cruise from Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolSheppard

Visit site
They say first impressions count and for sure they do. We arrived at the “office” which is a portakabin in a the marina car park.

On the joining instructions it mentioned to meet at 8pm for an evening meal in the yacht club. Unfortunately the sailing school had failed to warn us that there would be no catering facilities available. Luckily we were able to visit a local fish & chip shop prior the others arriving who were not so fortunate.

The skipper arrived late. He duly issued the wet weather gear that had seen a lot better days. Once onboard – we were issued with life jackets – many of which had mould stains on and were frayed around the edges. ( He did mention that they had been tested within the last 12 months but did not produce evidence of this).

We were given a boat brief and told not to break the head door lock as it cost £60 for a replacement (we heard this on numerous occasions throughout the week) and how not to slam the overhead storage doors.

First morning breakfast – toast and cereal – nowhere in sight was there any traditional English breakfast. We should have known from this that it was going to be a week of very poor quality food. There was no fresh fruit or vegetable on offer. All the food was frozen or tinned. At least Tesco’s home label did well that week as we certainly did not. There wasn’t even any water on offer except water out of the tank. Even the lonely bag of bite sized chocolate was hidden away. The food was rationed, we were served out of date food and even mouldy bread!.

My partner was due to undergo his RYA Competent Crew course. After three days of being on board, I asked the skipper/instructor when the course was going to start. Every bit of information was extracted rather than being taught. It was probably the worse instruction I have ever seen.

As you can imagine, the atmosphere was quite difficult on board. We felt as though we were an uninvited guest rather than a paying customer. The skipper told us he was on holiday – yet we paid good money for our holiday which he seemed to forget. The comfort and safety of the guests were not his priority.

The return journey across the channel was interesting. The other yachts left early in order to complete the crossing as the weather was due to worsen. Our skipper didn’t change any plans to suit the weather conditions. Maybe it was because he didn’t want to miss out on his usual duty free wine. Hence, the last four hours of our crossing were in rough conditions.

I would recommend to stay clear of Moonfleet as the whole experience was one of a shoddy business that is done on the cheap without any customer focus.

FullCircle

Visit site
Welcome to the Forums.

You really have set the tone for your future here.
We have lots of people coming along just use this place as a Whinge place to get your Beef onto the Internet. Its valid, but hardly good manners.

You dont say what your experience had been prior to this week, what research you did, what recommendations you sought, what your expectation were.

I can think of another well known and respected sailing school, whose proprietor is known for his crap food, in fact its an in joke. Hes only just discovered that Quiche casn have bacon bits in it. He does not pretend to be Jamie Oliver, but he can sail a boat.
Did the brochure show details of steaming hot Trad English Brekkers? A typical menu sent with the details?
Did they ask what special dietary needs you have?
Seems pointless loading up on Bangers and Bacon to a boatload of Veggies. Planning I guess.

If you cant arrange a supplementary goodies stash, that probably your problem. Oh, is that mouldy Cadburys? Thats not good enough, I only eat Green & Blacks! See, bit whingy eh?

Did the wet weather gear actually do its job? If so, then it was fit for purpose, no?

Sorry, but your post just comes across as a wet weekend in February. Sailing is like that I am afraid.

Are you sure sailing is for you?

alant

Visit site
You obviously have had a bad experience of the leisure sail industry, which you should not have had.

I used to instruct for Moonfleet about 4 years ago.
We never had any complaints, in fact the exact opposite. Feedback forms were requested from all customers & any problems (few) quickly sorted.

They operated out of the portakabin even then, but it was comfortable & adequately equiped for their shorebased courses.

The owners Noel & Christine, were never the most extrovert of operators, but ran a fairly tight operation. Have you spoken to them?

Very suprised that the food was 'out of date'. They received a delivery from Tesco each weekend & yes, some food (indate) was recycled (in common with some other high profile schools).

Food, can be a very personal expectation, bearing in mind that you are on a small boat, with limited refridgeration/catering facilities which can be dependant upon weather/sea conditions etc. You are in some way camping on water, not living in a 5* Hotel. Some schools lean toward very high quality, with others providing more basic fare (in date).

Regarding the instructor/lifejackets etc, this is a different matter. Again speak to Moonfleet.

If you get no joy from speaking to Moonfleet & are still unhappy, you have the option of taking your complaint to the RYA.

StugeronSteve

Visit site
No excuse for out of date food, but, as has already been pointed out, life on a saling boat isn't all G&Ts, canapes and crisp, cold white wine. A "full english" is great straight off the fork, but nowhere near as nice on its way back up, and it may just be that your skipper was giving those with the weaker stomachs chance to get their sea legs. Oilies and lifejackets do get mould spotted. We have got a very dry boat, kept on a marina berth and dehumidified all winter. Oilies are washed and properly dried, but the hoods etc are still mould spotted, I guess sh#t happens.

From the lack of comments to the contrary, I presume that the boat was well equipped and sea worthy. Sadly all boats, like people, have weaknesses. It may be the bog door, or a certain locker catch, and it is right that the skipper should point this out. My old boat had a dodgy cockpit locker lid, that didn't like to be slammed, and I used to bore people silly by warning them as it saved a horrible job with the Araldite and made sure that the thing didn't fall off during a passage.

What was the course sold as? Without knowing it is difficult to decide whether it was fit for purpose. Should you have been provided with food on the first night, or were you expectd to pay for your own ( the sailing school can't really be blamed for problems in the club kitchens)? What was your, overall, learning experience? I suspect, if you came away with nothing else, the skipper gave you chance to develop confidence, in yourself and the boat, by showing you that a bit of weather can be handled.

Welcome to the forum, by all means come and have a moan, but keep it a bit more balanced. Ask for the experiences of others and then go on to describe your own, that way we get a thread and not a rant. A letter to the school principal is a much better way of letting off steam.

Hope that your sea life improves, sailing has its cold, wet and nauseating moments, but at other times it is bliss. That's why we spend so much time and money on it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curve

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but your post just comes across as a wet weekend in February. Sailing is like that I am afraid.

Are you sure sailing is for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

But it does not have to be like that at all. I learnt very quickly that the caravanning element of certain types of sailing is not for me. Unless I am trapped on an anchorage or still out on the briny, then I always check into a hotel on arrival in a port. I love sailing just not the camping paraphernalia that goes with it.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I just wonder if the instructor had been on time, got the boat prepared properly to recieve novices and gave good instruction, showing less interest in himself would Carol have been a little happier? Would the food aspect have been less important?

There are two very seperate complaints here.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Funny you say that.Last year I sailed my boat to Porto Santo where my wife and child met me having flown in.We stayed on the boat for the next two weeks just relaxing and it was fun.A family we know spent the same time at the island but in a hotel.They hated it.They had to go to restaurants all the time,when tired of the beach they had nowhere to go but their hotel room,you get the picture.A well sorted boat can be very pleasing to live in,it can be your home.I would never be a liveabord but for a few weeks in the summer it's perfectly OK.

chanelyacht

Visit site
Sorry you've had a bad experience, and some of the comments on here haven't been too helpful either. However, I do think you've been a bit OTT in some respects as well.

As newcomers to sailing, the school should have been going out of its way to help create an enjoyment of the sport which would make you want to do more. It doesn't sound, from what you've said, as if they've done that. If you've got real concerns regarding teaching ability, etc talk to the RYA - they're very helpful and they inspect all schools annually, and schools do get status withdrawn if they're not up to scratch. Also, talk to the MCA is you think the safety gear or other was not suitable - you say you weren't shown evidence of testing, but did you ask? All boats for teaching have to be coded, and as part of this safety documentation is retained. But first, talk to the school !

But things like not changing the passage to avoid bad weather are a bit unrealistic - understandable if you'd booked a calm weather cruise, but you were on a crew assesment - and if "competent crew" can't handle a bit of rough weather, then you aren't "competent crew". I must admit I have a major issue with the quality of certification in the UK - far too many tickets are given out after training in marinas / flat calm weather which lead to people then falling apart if you're caught in bad weather. After all, even a flat calm day can be hit by a line squall, so you do have to know what to do when things get a bit hairy.

It may well be you've had a genuinely bad experience (I don't know Moonfleet so won't comment specifically) but judging by this week's Round the Island weather, so have quite a few newcomers who thought it was always Howards Way as well. But that's half the fun - there's nothing like the adrenaline rush of heavy weather sailing. The first time I went through the Southern Ocean was a mix of discomfort, terror, hatred of the sea, and pure excitement as we surfed waves - a mix that doesn't change byt still draws you back.

So have another go, don't be put off, but do let the school know how you felt as well - after all, you can't say they weren't customer focussed if their customers never tell them honestly how they felt.

Dave99

Visit site
With regards to the heavy sailing, when I did my day skipper - about 5 years ago with a very reputable sailing school known for "workhorses" which you can "run up the pontoon". Our instructor insisted that he took us offshore, as there was a gale blowing. He said that you should experience it as you are bound to get caught up in bad weather. One of the other boats had engine failiure and our skipper assisted them in fixing it - it was a good learning situation for everyone. We came back feeling that we had really acheived things.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
IMO your description of this as a 'Cruise from Hell' suggests that cruising in a small boat may not be the thing for you - in which case Moonfleet have done you a favour.

It was an RYA practical course, not a cruise, and sounds fairly typical to me. The rough weather experience on the way back should be regarded as a bonus - not everyone gets that opportunity - and you should be grateful. If you want a cruise go on a cruise - choose a skippered charter on a bigger boat with a cook.

Regarding your comments about the boat and the equipment - every sailing school boat is subject to a stringent MCA inspection every 12 months. A few mould spots on the outer cover of a lifejacket are insignificant - it is the weight of the CO2 cylinders and the condition of the firing mechanism that is important, and this will have been checked.

As far as the teaching goes - there are many styles of teaching and many different styles of learning. These do not always mesh, and it sounds as though this might have been the case this week. Instructors who favour demonstration and practice over theory and chat may not be your cup of tea, but trying to be a little more adaptable and watching and listening more instead of asking endless questions might have helped.

Sorry, but I don't think you have been reasonable with this post at all. Did you give the school a chance to deal with your complaints first before you rushed into print here?

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Re: Moonfleet Sailing - Crews from Hell ?

[ QUOTE ]
Crews from Hell ?

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

curve

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

but judging by this week's Round the Island weather, so have quite a few newcomers who thought it was always Howards Way as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Lynn Howard would have to disagree after she singlehandedly sailed Barrucuda across the pond. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

alant

Visit site
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but judging by this week's Round the Island weather, so have quite a few newcomers who thought it was always Howards Way as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Lynn Howard would have to disagree after she singlehandedly sailed Barrucuda across the pond.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it the weather that concerned them, or the lifejackets with shoulder pads ? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.