Moonfleet Sailing - Cruise from Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorman

Visit site
were you on a "Cruise " or a "Sailing Course "
did you expect to be taught to sail or sit back & expect to be waited on by others.
sailing isnt "All beer n Skittles"
some cross channel trips are "Memorable" usually the good then the BAD.
i dont remember the "nothing out of the ordinary" trips as i have done quite a few over the past 38 yrs, just remeber the good uns & the really BAD ONES

jordanbasset

Visit site
Carol I think the problem was having started the thread your lack of response. Perhaps you can now take the opportunity to address some of the specific points you made and the robust denial made by Moonfleet. For example you said you were told a meal would be provided on the first night, moonfleet deny this. I assume you have something in writing to this effect. There are other points and it may help your case if you addres them. Failure to address them does appear a little strange

FullCircle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It has not been worth writing every account of what happened on our cruise as many of you seem to think that a miserable, ill mannered skipper and unfriendly customer service is acceptable. Now, according to his post also seems to be so somewhat of a Pinochio.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a truly pathetic response. You come across as the Pinochio here, you still have not joined in, and are still making shrew like aspersions without having enough respect for this place to have a sensible debate. So I just hope you go away and find another sport to haunt.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It has not been worth writing every account of what happened on our cruise as many of you seem to think that a miserable, ill mannered skipper and unfriendly customer service is acceptable. Now, according to his post also seems to be so somewhat of a Pinochio.

[/ QUOTE ]

So now you're accusing Noel (who I have never met nor have had any dealings with) of being a liar. So what has he lied about? And apart from posting here what have you done about it? I'm losing track of the number of times you've been asked whether you complained at the time or indeed since direct to Moonfleet. If not, why not?

I'm afraid that until you answer these questions your accusing, complaining posts will look very weak.

David_Jersey

Visit site
And folk wonder why they hesitated for so long before replying........

No matter how much folk doubt them / their experiance.........I still do not think they enjoyed their trip and nor will they now be persuaded that they had.

But obviously I appear to be in a minority on that view /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

graham

Visit site
Re: Moonfleet Sailing - Cross Channel Cruise

For what its worth I think after reading most of this thread I would have no hesitation in using Moonfleet .

I would however need an assurance that the full english would be available some days and bacon sarnys underway on early start days. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Loginname

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As you can imagine, the atmosphere was quite difficult on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I can well imagine that it was difficult.

pendlecats

Visit site
As DavenHelen said [ QUOTE ]
I agree that further postings from the original poster could have strengthen her case.
I think it has more to do with the expectations of the Cruise/Training customer. The degree of hardship and privations acceptable (required) will be different for different people.

[/ QUOTE ]
You really havent gone about it very well, not following up with the comments lost you a lot of credibility.

For me a very intresting thread with SWMBO and daughter looking to do CC this year - any chance of a dicount for a fellow forumite (opertunist - not I)

Edit: Graham I do a good brecky, just give me the ingredients and everyones order of egg.

Tranona

Visit site
Carol, or is it Gary? Now you have come back in, please can you tell all the concerned people on here exactly what it is you want from this forum?

As you have been advised there are a number of ways in which you can seek redress if you feel aggrieved by your experience. Posting unsubstantiated statements and refusing to answer reasonable questions does not help anybody, least of all you.

Just in case you have not read all the posts

1 take up your complaint with the provider
2 If you are not satisfied, then misrepresentation is Trading Standards, Failure to meet the terms of the contract is covered by law, If the complaint is about the standard of tuition on an RYA approved course, then the RYA is the place to go.

If you don't want to be bothered with any of those then I guess you have to live with what happened.

nct1

Visit site
And it does not seem worth answering any of the questions forumites have raised.

We are not fooled by this.

MARGETTS

Visit site
Hi Galadrial,
Thought hard about replying to this one, but (shooting myself in the foot ) a prep course is to polish not to teach. You should have made the decision to take the exam based on your experience and not on a 5 day stint. I am sure you would have been well upto it and probably regret not doing it.
I took mine with my wife as sole crew with no prep to find out if I could do it, not remember a weeks instruction. Best sailing decision I ever made. Passed with comments which were meaningful and taken on board. Next time go for it on your own boat with your regular crew.

VictorII

home.scarlet.be
In a family charter situation, this is indeed obvious. In this case though, several people were on board who didn't necessarily know each other. In a schooling situation this is the most likely case.

tangomoon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
were you on a "Cruise " or a "Sailing Course "
did you expect to be taught to sail or sit back & expect to be waited on by others.
sailing isnt "All beer n Skittles"

[/ QUOTE ]

The lady said the lifejackets were frayed, the skipper was flippant (by his own admission) and the drinking water was like bilge water.

She did not say the waiting staff were not up to scratch.

That sailing appeared to be "All beer n' skittles" and that was the problem.

Paying guests or learners don't expect to have to put up with the sordid way others live, or sail.

The reason such low standards exist is because people accept them, lousy food in most establishments being but one example.

The poster merely stated what she thought would be helpful - it was - unless....

I saw (page15ish have seen no further) the firm responded though not with, "We have taken it up with our client/guest and apologised unreservedly for any dissatisfaction, the client says she understands..... and has accepted....

Instead, they joined the hounds on here and put the blame for what she claimed was wrong onto their paying customer.

Not smart.

As for complaining at the time. It is rare that people do this, which is why the service industry must get it right at point of sale through to follow up Christmas card to remind them what a good time they had.

The ooaaarr Two Years before the mast is dead just doesn't know it yet.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Tangoman, I reproduce the start of my first reply to Carol re this post

"Hi I have read this post and the replies with interest, on balance I think the origianl poster has been treated a little harshly by some. Perhaps some parts of the original post contributed to this but there were others that did deserve answers -"

I went on to identify those areas where she did appear to have valid issues (around 60-70% of the issues she raised) but since then we have had a reply from Moonfleet and still no answers from Carol about some of the specific issues. If, for example, she has documentation to say the start time was 8pm and a meal would be provided, this would make me tend to believe the rest of her account and discredit Moonfleet.

In the absense of further info from Carol my sense of natural justice does rest with Moonfleet, but I and I am sure many others here could be persuaded otherwise if more was forthcoming. Like you I believe if you are providing a service you should endeavour to provide the best service you can.

Loginname

Visit site
To me it looked as if she was the classic Moaning Minnie and her attitude since her OP has done nothing to dispel that impression.

Moonfleet has attempted to put his side of the story and, whilst he could have been a little more diplomatic, I am inclined to understand it from his point of view.

Frankly, it looks as if she was just wanting to slag him off, and damage him, in a public forum. It hasn't worked so, judging from her last posting, she is even more miffed now. Tough.

It's one of those occasions when the customer is not always right.

DavenHelen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, it looks as if she was just wanting to slag him off, and damage him, in a public forum. It hasn't worked so, judging from her last posting, she is even more miffed now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were a newcomer to sailing looking for a sailing school and trawled the internet to find recommendations, then I am sure this thread would affect your decision if you were thinking of Moonfleet. There are enough schools around that a single negative report may influence a decision, especially with the comparisons posted to other schools. So threads of this type must cause damage to the schools in question.

alant

Visit site
For example you said you were told a meal would be provided on the first night, moonfleet deny this. I assume you have something in writing to this effect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moonfleet have ALWAYS stated that upon joining, they do not provide an evening meal, meals being available at your own cost, from the marina bar/yacht club.

The complaint from Carol, was that meals were unavailable because the bar/club was not serving them for some reason (most places stop taking orders at 2100 hrs to allow the chef to finish).

Moonfleet can hardly be blamed for something decided by another business surely.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Hi, this was the whole point of my post, Carol said in her initial post -

"On the joining instructions it mentioned to meet at 8pm for an evening meal in the yacht club."

Moonfleet completely denied this saying -

"Joining Instructions were issued to join at the Moonfleet Portakabin at 8.30pm, due to the kitchen in the Yacht Club being closed for a private function all 5 clients (including Carol & Gary) were informed by phone or email and asked to eat before arriving,".

One or the other cannot be right, many of the other points are about issues of expectation and reality, this was a very specific point of difference. Carol could use the joining instructions she received to back this up, she has not. In the absence of a reply from Carol them my sympathies lie with Moonfleet. But equally I do not want to crucify Carol for this matter, things happen.

I am starting to feel uncomfortable with the thread now and do not propose to further comment on this post as I do think it is unfair to Moonfleet, who appear entirely honourable in this affair - best wishes

fireball

Visit site
One point to note - you cannot rely on email as an emergency means of communication ... it doesn't always get there, it isn't always instant and it certainly doesn't always get read ....

Just a pointer -if you're doing last minute changes - don't rely on email to notify everyone of those changes - unless you ask for confirmation that they have read them ...

Status
Not open for further replies.