Moonfleet Sailing - Cruise from Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loginname

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Surely anyone doing their day skipper would have some experience to know that they wouldn't be the only people on the yacht

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite possible that they joined the boat to do their CC course and had no/little experience. Lots of schools do mixed ability training.

In the case of the OP on this thread "he" was doing his CC, "she" was there simply to enjoy a cruise; at least that's how it reads to me. She was obviously expecting something very different.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I\'m amazed

That not one of you who posted here took the time to email Moonfleet to ask for their comments but were quite prepared to carry on making all sorts of assumptions. And in making those assumptions were quite prepared to cast aspersions on this organisation. (That doesn't apply to everyone of course.)

And before anyone makes the obvious point, yes it was me that emailed them suggesting they might want to take a look at the thread and put their side of the story. It took me all of a minute or so to send the email. So no big deal. Just pleased that Noel from Moonfleet took the opportunity to put forward his side of the story.

Tranona

Visit site
You should read my posts more carefully. I am not against controversial threads, nor people expressing their opinions - perhaps because I do quite a bit of that myself.

My comment is about how this thread got a life of its own based on assumptions people made that were not in the original post.

You are right, you came in well into the posts and the momentum you described was already there. That is exactly my point - why was it there? when no other poster apart from the original and eventually Noel had any knowledge of what went on, so how can they pass comment, never mind judgement. All other comments are based on assumptions made by the posters.

If you want a discussion on the value of School provision or any other of the many issues raised in the thread, then start one in the time honoured way of stating your belief, hopefully supported by fact or evidence, and waiting for comment.

DavenHelen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In the case of the OP on this thread "he" was doing his CC, "she" was there simply to enjoy a cruise; at least that's how it reads to me. She was obviously expecting something very different.

[/ QUOTE ]

The implication in Moonfleets post was that it was a cruise (mileage builder or otherwise) into which the OP's partner was fitting a CC.

Without saying either the OP or Moonfleet are in the right, I would comment that it is a thought provoking thread in that once Moonfleet post, we see the majority of the subsequent posters supporting their corner. Interesting case to see most of the consumers backing the supplier against another consumer.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Well that would be no fun.

This is supposed to be akin to a chat in a yacht club on sailing matters. How often do bar chats stay strictly on subject with people with new points to raise trotting off to a different corner?

It's not a debating society.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Agree, the original post did highlight some specific issues which have been answered for the most part by Moonfleet (well done to them, in the absense of a reply from the O.P. the reply satisfies me) but there were many general points brought up that most could comment on. Such as customer's expectations and reality, what should a sailing course be, website design, cooked breakfasts, competent crew course itelf etc etc - I found on the whole the comments interesting and helped in a much wider debate.

VictorII

home.scarlet.be
>It may not seem important to us but I'm sure many customers look at those layouts in detail deciding who is going to get which cabin in the build up to their holiday.
<

Are you serious? If you go on a charter with people you know, this might make sense. Otherwise, bunk and cabine allotment are bound to depend on all people on board, as well as the skipper.

Some people sleep easily on board, others do not.

I have been known to claim the best bunk (port side saloon) and give up my owner's cabin on certain headings when I couldn't get enough sleep during nights. Every crew benefits from a fit skipper, so some flexibility on board can be a necessity.

Being nuanced, of course a professional website best displays the correct pictures.

Dyflin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

once Moonfleet post, we see the majority of the subsequent posters supporting their corner. Interesting case to see most of the consumers backing the supplier against another consumer.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has very little to consumer vs business, we are, the majority of us, boat owners ourselves and know exactly what it is like to have crew (passengers?) along who for one reason or another thought it would be something very different and so can not be pleased no matter what. The OP hasn't decided to remain in the conversation they started and clear up any questions, so the peanut gallery will draw their own conclusions. The fact that the business is willing to engage in a public forum and answer subsequent questions, IMHO, goes even further to undermine the original complaint. It would appear that your "consumer" simply is worth backing in this instance...

Tranona

Visit site
Agree, but the OP did not bring a bar chat issue to the forum, but a whinge about a company, and then did not stay at the bar to chat about it!

My point is that many of the posts were making comments and particularly judgements about both parties that were figments of their own imagination as none of them were there!

It is not possible to know why the OP made the post - it was clearly not a starting point for a sailing discussion, nor even a request for advice.

So it is not the wandering off the post which is the issue, but the nature of the post itself and whether fora should be used in this way - I hesitate to use the word purpose, because we don't know the purpose.

And there is still plenty of fun to be had - I particularly enjoyed your running commentary on steaming your rubbing strake. All that day I was imagining the bang when it broke - you must have a magic touch to do it without breaking.

DavenHelen

Visit site
I agree that further postings from the original poster could have strengthen her case.
I think it has more to do with the expectations of the Cruise/Training customer. The degree of hardship and privations acceptable (required) will be different for different people.

Lakesailor

Visit site
A few people have alluded to the OP not getting the reception they wanted and going elsewhere.
I suppose that must be the case (imagination again!)

It would be interesting to see if they joined any other forums to bring the matter up and what receptions they got on them.

We once had a poor soul who thought it was fine to bring her pet hamsters to a B&B (which has a strictly no pets policy)
She was going to "report" us (?) and give us bad reviews everywhere (for sticking her rodents in their cages in the garage)

Never did see anything.

Nope it didn't break, and in fact I steamed one end a bit more and bent it further. Pictures when it stops raining.

Dyflin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

We once had a poor soul who thought it was fine to bring her pet hamsters to a B&B (which has a strictly no pets policy)
She was going to "report" us (?) and give us bad reviews everywhere (for sticking her rodents in their cages in the garage)

Never did see anything.

Nope it didn't break, and in fact I steamed one end a bit more and bent it further. Pictures when it stops raining.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT?! You steamed one of the poor buggers hamsters and bent it a bit AND THEN TOOK PICTURES, just because they were going to give you a bad review? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Lakesailor

Visit site
Yes. Sorry about the appalling punctuation.

I was rushing as we had to go out and sit in some heavenly reclining leather chairs in a shop and then end up buying 2 headboards.

Talulah

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

>It may not seem important to us but I'm sure many customers look at those layouts in detail deciding who is going to get which cabin in the build up to their holiday.
<

Are you serious? If you go on a charter with people you know, this might make sense. Otherwise, bunk and cabine allotment are bound to depend on all people on board, as well as the skipper.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite serious. The layout is on the Charter page and hence those on board are likely to be a family.

CarolSheppard

Visit site
It has not been worth writing every account of what happened on our cruise as many of you seem to think that a miserable, ill mannered skipper and unfriendly customer service is acceptable. Now, according to his post also seems to be so somewhat of a Pinochio.

fireball

Visit site
You really do seem to be a happy bunny ... are you always this cheerful?

Please - don't think we care .... you may have had a point, it may have mattered to many on here ... instead you've come on here, shouted off against a company then not bothered answering any of the questions put to you, you've not even attempted to counter any of the arguments against you or offer any more details or backup evidence.

I had assumed you wanted to achieve something more than just venting when you posted on here ... perhaps you forgot that many on here have intelligence to understand there are two sides to a story.....

Status
Not open for further replies.