Mixing Fuel and Additive

Refueler

Visit site
Let me ask a question :

If Bio alone was so good - why do such companys then produce other apparatus such as filtering machines ... alternative additives etc. ?

When Enzyme based additives companys basically produce that and do not indulge in filtering apparatus etc. ?

If Bio alone was so good - why do we have posts come up asking what to do when tanks get full of crap - even though Bio additive has been used ? I cannot find any similar posts for Enzyme based !

jaminb

Visit site
Forumites what is your opinion of my first fuel filter (the one nearest the tank) ? Should it look this dirty? There is none of the stringy tarry stuff I had last time but still looks pretty rough (although I never seen a clean used one for a reference). 10 microns, in for a season if that makes any difference.

thanks

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
No, it may NOT just mix in over time. I don't know about that brand, but many will crystalize out if just poured on top. FPPF will do this.

The simplest way to mix would be with an aquarium pump and bubble air to the bottom. A few hours should do it. Common practice.

Do NOT do this with petrol (explosion hazard).

Freebee

Visit site
Forumites what is your opinion of my first fuel filter (the one nearest the tank) ? Should it look this dirty? There is none of the stringy tarry stuff I had last time but still looks pretty rough (although I never seen a clean used one for a reference). 10 microns, in for a season if that makes any difference.

thanks
you have missed off some important information how long has that filter been in service in terms of time but more importantly running time?, if its 10 years its done its job, if its 10 hours, you have a real problem!!! Certainly from the look of things what is in the tank is pretty gross to contaminate the filter like that. I would be for looking in the tank to see what is going on.

Refueler

Visit site
No, it may NOT just mix in over time. I don't know about that brand, but many will crystalize out if just poured on top. FPPF will do this.

The simplest way to mix would be with an aquarium pump and bubble air to the bottom. A few hours should do it. Common practice.

Do NOT do this with petrol (explosion hazard).

Simplest way ? Take a container and pre-dilute the additive - then pour in.

We find that most additives when dosing ship tanks - sometimes we are only able to introduce via deck openings. We find it migrates and within short time - we analyse and find desired results.

Air input - we used for stirring up such as Phossy Acid in Chemical Tankers - to avoid serious sedimentation in tank bottoms.

Freebee

Visit site
Simplest way ? Take a container and pre-dilute the additive - then pour in.

We find that most additives when dosing ship tanks - sometimes we are only able to introduce via deck openings. We find it migrates and within short time - we analyse and find desired results.
For what its worth I agree with that, with over 25 years in the aviation fuel industry when it was necessary to dose fuel additives into Avtur (kero) we simply premixed the additives in a bucket with avtur, climbed on top of our bulk tanks and tipped it in.

Refueler

Visit site
For what its worth I agree with that, with over 25 years in the aviation fuel industry when it was necessary to dose fuel additives into Avtur (kero) we simply premixed the additives in a bucket with avtur, climbed on top of our bulk tanks and tipped it in.

My Aunts Husband - lived near Horsham - was Manager for Esso Aviation Fuel - Gatwick ... had tales to tell !!

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Simplest way ? Take a container and pre-dilute the additive - then pour in....
Agree, 100%. But the OP suggested that was not possible. But yes, if there is room for 1 gallon, that helps a lot and avoids the crystallization problem. However, if it is a baffled tank, I'm not sure that alone is enough (I too have additive and dyed fuel--adding it to one compartment didn't work).

I have tested several additives, that if poured dirrectly into fuel, without any mixing into a gallon first, drop to the bottom. That is the warning I wanted to give.

jaminb

Visit site
you have missed off some important information how long has that filter been in service in terms of time but more importantly running time?, if its 10 years its done its job, if its 10 hours, you have a real problem!!! Certainly from the look of things what is in the tank is pretty gross to contaminate the filter like that. I would be for looking in the tank to see what is going on.
In for a season.

Slowboat35

Visit site
I'm rather baffled as to why you imagine you need "additive" at all.
Why?
What for?
Do you have a problem or are you imagining one?
Diesel has lasted forever over decades unadulterated in all my several tanks both marine and land-locked.
What's the additive for, and why is it important? I've never seen a need for it.

Refueler

Visit site
I'm rather baffled as to why you imagine you need "additive" at all.
Why?
What for?
Do you have a problem or are you imagining one?
Diesel has lasted forever over decades unadulterated in all my several tanks both marine and land-locked.
What's the additive for, and why is it important? I've never seen a need for it.

If you have had diesel in tanks for decades - without additive - I assume your turnover of diesel is frequent ? If its a car - then frequent change of diesel due to consumption keeps things generally good. But it can hit ... my Additive Truck actually suffered bug and came to a stop on the road ! Yes .. the bloody Additive truck !!

You may not have had problem ... but that does not mean you will not have in future. Because most marine tanks are not as rapid turnover of fuel as land based engines ... additive use can be a good precaution.

Momac

Visit site

thanks

If all is well a used filter should look clean .

B27

Visit site

thanks
I've seen worse filters taken out of cars.

But if it was my boat, I would be poking the pela into the bottom corners of the tank to remove any dirt and water etc.

You'll need to fit a bigger bore hose to your pela for this I put a 1/4 turn valve in the line, so I can pump up a vacuum, then control where it's extracting.

Top tip, clean the pela first, then any clear diesel you suck out can be returned to the tank after any water has settled out.

Dukester52

Visit site
I'm reading all of this with interest since I'm going to need to refuel soon, and my sailing boat hasn't been out in a while.

Thanks to Refueler's advice (gratefully received) I'm planning on using an enzyme-based additive.

Quick question though - what's a 'Pela'?

Thanks again

Al

Refueler

Visit site
PELA

Designed as an Oil Extraction tool - has a thin tube and a vacuum container. The tube is inserted via the Oil Dipstick tube into the engine and you suck out the old engine oil.
Many of use use the same gear to suck out crud from bottom of tanks / bilges / spaces etc. You can get in manual hand pump or electric pump versions ... the manual hand has dvantage as it has the vacuum container to collect the content ... electrics only eject to a container you provide.

Pela Products | The new way to change oil

I have the 6ltr round ball hand version and I converted the spare cap to have a larger bore tube ... for those general jobs ...