MiToS re-built/fit- versilcraft Mystery43

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Fantastic achievement Vas, very well done. I am so in awe of the way you make such complex tasks as the design and fabrication of the new sink seem so effortless (and I realise of course that there are many hundreds of such tasks embodied within Mitos). Amazing stuff. Thread of the year.

rwoofer

Visit site
Can only re-iterate what everyone has said. I couldn't imagine that half way through you would actually get to this point - full admiration for the efforts and the result!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Wow wow wow, that last picture is amazing Vas. Superlatives fail, but huge respect to you on this achievement, and many congratulations on finally getting to swim off Mitos in a beautiful anchorage.

She really does look stunning in that picture. You got all the detail and colouring just right. I look forward to many more pictures

Says it all. Completely fab Vas.

davids0865

www.houseforsalelimousin.com
ah, and before everyone starts shouting, a pic from a beautiful Pagasitikos bay yesterday lunchtime taking with my waterproof phone while swimming to get to the coast.

MiToS_floating.jpg

cheers

V.

OMG, she looks fantastic, WOW.

Last edited:

aquapower

Visit site
A really interesting project and excellent end result, now time to enjoy.
I have been working on my refit for about 2 years now and am getting close to relaunch.

MystereMarcus

Visit site
I can't add anything to what's been said already. It's just truly amazing.
You deserve a medal for giving a great boat a new lease of life.
Very well done Vas.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Brilliant vas. Love the colour scheme too. Lets hope that you now enjoy the fruits of your immense labours with many seasons of fine cruising

Visit site
Wow wow wow, that last picture is amazing Vas. Superlatives fail, but huge respect to you on this achievement, and many congratulations on finally getting to swim off Mitos in a beautiful anchorage.

She really does look stunning in that picture. You got all the detail and colouring just right. I look forward to many more pictures

+1 and then some

KevB

Visit site
Stunning Vas.
She looks amazing on the water. Bloody well done. If I were in your shoe's I'd be rightfully chuffed with myself.
And well done to all those who have helped get MiToS back on the water in such an amazing condition.

Congratulations.

MikeBrazier

Visit site
Thanks for the update Vas, more pic's please. I have really enjoyed watching your progress over the months, and yes, she looks STUNNING!

Mike

vas

Visit site
thanks you all for the kind words,
Definitely not the end of the rebuilt, guess it will be another year or so before I get most of the things I want done ;)

btw, wife saw the pic I posted with MiToS on the water and was rather upset as she claims we've got much better ones, will sort and post them in the other thread (when I have the time to compile it...)

so, continuing with the rebuilt, next task (an easy one for a change!) was undoing one shaft from the g/b and pulling it back so that the state of the ss shaft is established and photographed as a record. A new compulsory test for issuing a new certificate for the boat. Easily done, a few pics of the P bracket bush area without even wiping it clean. Shaft looks ok according to the naval architect and the boatyard owner who checked it. I'm not to disagree, so job done:

shaftbush_1.jpg

shaftbush_2.jpg

Reaching completion (on a vague definition of the word) one task that had to be done and was impossible to do where MiToS was lying was fitting the bathing platform. Effectively stbrd end of the transom was over the water... So Gregory, the boatyard owner, brought the trolley under MiToS and moved her forward by around 4m giving us plenty of space to work. That was the first movement of MiToS after 4yrs on the same spot, an interesting/important milestone I thought. Well impressed that she didn't fall apart during the move, I kept working.

The frame of the platform made out of iroko was glued and reinforced at George's workshop waiting for fitting. Brought it one afternoon and after 3 sweaty hours 3of us managed to secure it in place with the help of the passarelle and a big oddly shaped blue ladder. The four teak "grille" pieces were then test fitted and matched on the spot.

bathing_platform_26.jpg

bathing_platform_27.jpg

Then the ss fabricator came and did the 6 supports strengthening the whole thing.

bathing_platform_28.jpg

bathing_platform_29.jpg

and the full frame 25mm dia for the side and central V, 30 for the mid two. Note that I opted for using the trim tabs supporting beam and the ss tirm tabs base to weld the bathing platform struts:
bathing_platform_30.jpg

Detail of the support on the iroko, M6 through bolts, on a 12mm dia recess on top with washer and nut:
bathing_platform_31.jpg

With the teak on top thing feels rather solid. If I'd be doing it again, I'd definitely skip the iroko frame and go for a fully ss frame where the teak grille would slot in. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Since I liked Nick's work very much (that's the ss fabricator) and his pricing was reasonable, I went ahead with building the platform to aft deck steps. Curved and slanted (in all directions!) transom meant I decided on a fully asymmetric design with one tall handle (a la swimming pool) which proved very useful in real use. Quite different from my earlier sketches, but real measurements proved them unfeasible.

spot welded in place before even sanding and varnishing the iroko capping:
bathing_platform_32.jpg

finished article in place:
bathing_platform_33.jpg

In the meantime lots and I mean LOTS of small (or not so small) jobs had to finish before floating.

Bow thruster securing, wiring and testing was one of them. Not small job in terms of weights involved, but just a few hours to do. Massively thick wires connected with the motor on the bow cabin floor, control wiring fitted and tested, assembly bolted on in place, propellers and tunnel antifouled and fitted.

bowthruster_1.jpg

bowthruster_2.jpg

Cabin doors were also refitted, old hinges cleaned and reused. Door stops (old original items) cleaned polished and refitted, door handle and locks the same. Changed keys lock barrels on most of them, all fine. No pics to show but I do have a problem that I've only got 7 working hinges and need a minimum of eight to have 4 cabin doors working, should really have 12... Hinge looks like that, found some replacements but they are deeper, larger with a larger pivot angle to fit on my doors. Anyone got an idea of where I can source a few of them?

cabindoor_hinges.jpg

Salon chest of draws and twin cupboard corner piece was back in place, checked, fitted and bolted in place. Old fridge fitted nicely in it, just need to sort out lining the door during the winter to make it match the rest of the furniture.

salon_drawer_1.jpg

Stuffing box (some ppl asked what I'm doing after 4yrs in the hard) were checked and 1 line of material added on each. Port side is fine, regulated easily on the first trip, but stbrd side wasn't happy, so I added another line yesterday and it is now ok.

stuffingbox_1.jpg

stuffingbox_2.jpg

Even managed to fit the bathing platform shower a recessed Whale job, with a twist handle. Had to before fitting all the alu sandwich aft deck lining panels. All panels done btw after a lot of effort to get the ceiling lining ok with speakers and led light fixtures.

bathingplatform_shower_1.jpg

bathingplatform_shower_2.jpg

Looks like I'll need a couple of posts to reach the state MiToS is now, give me a few days and i'll get another one

cheers

V.

Last edited: