Mitchell 31

Salty.savage

Visit site
the mitchell 31 normally comes with a inboard engine and is shaft driven
I am interested in a Mitchell with twin inboard outdrives can this be a problem ??? as I understand that the design was for the shaft version
any comments please

burgundyben

Visit site
There's one in the Solent with a single shaft, chap has terrible trouble with the steering, everytime he tries to head west it turns hard to port into Yarmouth, he just can't stop it.

Firefly625

Visit site
But apart from the magnetic attraction my Mitchell has withYarmouth I have seen a couple of outdrive powered Mitchell's.

I am very much against outdrives, so my view is going to be heavily skewed to why on earth would you even consider it unless you enjoy unreliability and the added cost of outdrive servicing ..

However, the Mitchell hull is superb and probably will still be a fine handling boat with twin outdrives, I would be concerned about weight distribution as this maybe an issue with such a set up. It would certainly free up a load of space in the centre of the boat, although not quite sure how it's used, probably the water tank goes where the engine did!

Was this made by J S Mouldings?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
But apart from the magnetic attraction my Mitchell has withYarmouth I have seen a couple of outdrive powered Mitchell's.

I am very much against outdrives, so my view is going to be heavily skewed to why on earth would you even consider it unless you enjoy unreliability and the added cost of outdrive servicing ..

However, the Mitchell hull is superb and probably will still be a fine handling boat with twin outdrives, I would be concerned about weight distribution as this maybe an issue with such a set up. It would certainly free up a load of space in the centre of the boat, although not quite sure how it's used, probably the water tank goes where the engine did!

Twin outdrives had got to be three times the servicing and maintenance cost of a single shaft drive motor.

Canopy Locked

Visit site
the mitchell 31 normally comes with a inboard engine and is shaft driven
I am interested in a Mitchell with twin inboard outdrives can this be a problem ??? as I understand that the design was for the shaft version
any comments please

I had a Mitchel 31 with a 320 Hp nanni engine - superb boat, no handling issues - cruised at 14-15 Kts could manage 19-20 down hill with a following wind.

Having also had a boat with one outdrive (Hardy 24), I would question why on earth you wanted to have two engines with outdrives in a Mitchell. As others have said much bigger costs; I would question whether there was any performance benefits; Most of all I would say why??????? when the classic Mitchel is great

Bandit

Visit site
The Mitchell 31 is a good semi displacement boat, The single diesel is well forward giving it good seakeeping due to the weight of the engine forward.

I had two, and the second one was a Mk 2 with a Sabre 225 and would cruise economically at 15 knots.

Out drives have their place in boats and that is in fast planing boats, not semi displacement.

I doubt there is room in the transom of a Mitchell 31, to fit two engines and outdrives, the weight balance would be all wrong, the servicing would be nearer to 4x that of a single large diesel.

The cost of two engines and outdrives is far far greater than a single diesel and shaft.

Frankly it would be an expensive abortion of a boat.

Boat2016

Visit site

Can I ask why you are so against outdrives ? Have you had a bad experience with one ? Not sure why so many people are against them, im a bit divided when I’ve had boats with both shafts and drives and neither have been kind to the wallet in their own way, it’s what boating is all about and I expect the odd bill here and there

Bandit

Visit site
Some boats are designed and built for Outdrives and some are designed and built for shaft drives. You cant just change the drive system.

Outdrives are every efficient on a planing boat but do not work well with semidispacement.

johnwest

Visit site
Some years ago Hampshire Police Marine unit had, I think, three Mitchell 31's with twin diesels on shafts. From what I remember the crews thought a lot of them.

j

Firefly625

Visit site
Some years ago Hampshire Police Marine unit had, I think, three Mitchell 31's with twin diesels on shafts. From what I remember the crews thought a lot of them.

j

I can confirm they did, having met a few that crewed on them and were keen to have a look over mine and impart hairy stories of what they did with theirs!

Pirate89

Visit site
Hi guys, sorry to hijack on this post! I'm an owner of a Mitchell 31, she's twin screw and shaft driven running 220hp Ford Mermaids. I know that she was one of two that were built specifically for a Saudi Prince in the early 80s, I have paperwork to back that side, but I don't have any information on what model she is. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Screenshot_20230605-184144_Gallery.jpg

Firefly625

Visit site
Hi guys, sorry to hijack on this post! I'm an owner of a Mitchell 31, she's twin screw and shaft driven running 220hp Ford Mermaids. I know that she was one of two that were built specifically for a Saudi Prince in the early 80s, I have paperwork to back that side, but I don't have any information on what model she is. Any help would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 157785
Very interesting, I would agree with Ben that it’s based on a MK3 especially wheelhouse side screen and three window windscreen but coachroof forward is a bit unique. There is a pretty active Mitchell 31 Facebook group worth joining, there would be a lot of interest in your boat.

Pirate89

Visit site
Thank you gents! I will pop on Facebook and have a look. Yeah, she goes! She'll economically cruise at 17kts and tops out at 22knts. I've worked her for the Falkland Islands Shipping Agency for the last 9 years and loved her that much that managed to convince them to sell her to me haha