Micro ROVs on Cruisers

Gustywinds

Visit site
Pardon if this sounds silly, I’ve been drinking rather a lot with the owner of a neighbouring boat who just happens to have bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Underwater-Equipment-Resolution-Backpack/dp/B0C5XDRJ2D/
Now, he freely admits it’s a toy to play with but I am wondering if it might actually be quite useful.
One of the scenarios I dread most in my journey on canals and rivers is getting something stuck in prop, rudder, trusted or whatever. I had this happen on a rental boat on Canal dubMidi and I called the rental company and they sent a “jeune homme” in a wetsuit who jumped in and cleared it for me. Now, at 65 and my own boat, I really don’t fancy it.
It just so happens that, before I retired, I used to design tooling to go in the much larger commercial versions of these things used in the oil industry.
So I am wondering what little gadgets I could make to allow one of these to help me out of various scenarios?
It is probably just as well Amazon won’t deliver to the boat and it’s too big to fit in drop box. I haven’t admitted to the wife I bought a new iPad Pro in Amsterdam yesterday (“It’s to display the boat information and navigation maps, honest ..”)

Welterusten.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
The problem with these - is power and visual aspect of the water.

Get close enough and you can probably see the problem ... but any tool on the ROV would require sufficient power to not only operate the tool - but most to resist the push away from the problem ... these 'retail ROV' are of low motive power. Basically designed for camera work only.

Gustywinds

Visit site
The problem with these - is power and visual aspect of the water.

Get close enough and you can probably see the problem ... but any tool on the ROV would require sufficient power to not only operate the tool - but most to resist the push away from the problem ... these 'retail ROV' are of low motive power. Basically designed for camera work only.
Yes, I appreciate I’d have to run a separate power line for anything such as a disc cutter, pump, etc. Reactive forces can be designed out

Refueler

Visit site
For visual checking an endoscope camera for £40 is a much more effective solution. Use regularly for checking prop etc.

A better camera is actually a Fishing Camera ... I have two Endo's and only use I find for them is blind spot or tube checking. For underhull / in water and wider viewing ... the Fishing Camera is far better ...

Mine is 30m cable ... battery box is also the WiFi (rechargeable) ....

Similar to this - but mine has no screen in the case lid ... but I have the mounts in case lid to take screen of my choice ...

30M 7 Inch Wireless WIFI Underwater Fishing Video Camera Fish Finder 1000 TV Hot | eBay

I just rubber band the camera to a pole ... the WiFi feeds to phone / PC / Tablet ... here's video taken of clearing Superannes prop ... (I had to be facing sun because guy going under to do it needed back to sun) ...