Medieval boat, Ipswich

MoodySabre

Visit site
It is probably the one that was on display at Harwich Heritage Day last summer. It was a replica of a boat that sailed to Boston (I think) in the era of The Mayflower (darned if I can remember what it was called). We spoke to the crew who said it was not seaworthy long-term. I recall seeing it being towed up river a few days later.

It was quite small and had over 20 people on it originally with all the associated deaths and disease.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Got it. The Discovery - Went to Jamestown, the first capital of Virginia in 1606.

2482920.jpg

MoodySabre

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And I could wear my pirate gear all the time!

[/ QUOTE ]

and get killed even more times /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think it was designed as an exhibition piece not as a sailing ship so presumably it leaks like a sieve.

Alfie168

Visit site
Oddly enough, the Australian replica of Captain Cooks Endeavour was originally intended to be just a floating museum when first made. Then some bright spark realised that having built the ship from the original plans held in Greenwich there was no reason why she should not be as seaworthy, and she duly did two circumnavigations before financial problems forced her into the arms of the Australian National Maritime Museum, whom I hope are looking after her as she deserves.

Tim

Other threads that may be of interest