Med Sailing Spain to Turkey

TNT

Visit site
Hi, we have just bought our 1st boat a Dromor Apollo 40' with the intention of eventually moving her from Spain to
Greece. We are planning to sail her from Almerimar to Marmaris at the start of next season. We have a time scale in mind but would appreciate any advice on a couple of cheap overnight places to stay on the way and how long the trip would approx. take. Many Thanks TNT

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...how long the trip would approx. take?...
It must be what, 1200 to 1400 miles? so realistically anywhere between 10 days and ten years is feasible.

More seriously, if you are looking to take a fairly direct route, then 'cheap overnight places' could be selected from: -

Any one of the many anchorages on the south side of the Balearic Islands - Formentera's one of the Med Classics
Carloforte (SW Corner) or Cagliari (SE corner) on Sardinia have free/cheap harbours.
Pretty well any of the Tunisian Marinas are reasonably priced.
Siracusa anchorage (SE of Sicily) is another top spot.
A good selection of anchorages on the south side of the Pelopenese - Methoni/Koroni
Take your choice of free harbours/anchorage through the Greek Islands.
We've enjoyed all (not Tunisia yet) of the above; they all provide good shelter and a chance to top up the larder and wine/beer racks

samwestwood

Visit site
I would say if stock up for the hole distance at the start and if the weathers right just go for it.
Would be a nice sail to do it in a oner. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThereAndBack

Visit site
We are in the process of doing the same thing. We left Almerimar in May (this year) and spent a fairly laid-back 9 weeks getting to Southern Italy. We are going back in a few weeks to complete the journey to Greece. This, too, is in our first boat.

Get hold of a copy of 'Bloc Marine', a French/English guide to the coastline, marinas, harbours of Spain, France and a bit of Italy. This year's copy cost us 21 Euros. It also gives a very accurate listing of mooring/berthing prices all along that coastline. It is full of useful information.

If I can be of any help, just send me a Personal Mesage.

Alan

LadyJessie

Visit site
That is good advice. Alternatively, if you want to be more close-coast hopping: from Syracuse go to the Ionian (lots of achorages free),
the Corinth Canal which is not cheap (approx 130 euros for 12 mtrs) but the experience is worth it,
then through the Aegean with lots of options, I would do:
Aeghina, Syros, Paxos, Naxos, Leros and then enter Turkey at Bodrum,
then you have a beautiful cruise along the Turkish coast towards Marmaris. Have fun, it is a great route!

TNT

Visit site
Sorry I wasn't completley clear on my last post (1st timer so bare with me). Our intentions are, in a year or so (or when we manage to sell our house) we are moving to Lefkas to live aboard. In the meantime we are stuck in the UK & our new boat, frustratingly is in Spain. We only have a limited time available from work (2-3 weeks) so the trip to Turkey doesn't allow for much sight seeing unfortunately. I have just heard today that our mooring in Marmaris is not available until June now so may leave her in Almerimar until then. We would prefer to have her in Greece but as we are not going to get to use her very much for a year the marina fees play a big part of our descision. Marmaris if anyone has been is half the price & facilites are tip top. If anyone knows of a good less expensive alternate marina near or on the way to the Ionion with good flight access - suggestions would be welcome.

Tranona

Visit site
If you are going to live in Lefkas, why not go straight there? There is the new marina or you can lay up in Preveza. Access to Marmaris is not so good outside the season. You can fly to Athens daily at reasonable prices and get the bus to Levkas or Preveza.

An alternative is to get halfway there and stop in Malta where winter rates are lower than elswhere.

TNT

Visit site
thanks for the info, we know preveza & lefkas quite well but would like to maybe spend next season somewhere else if poss. Marmaris in comparison to Lefkas is £2000 cheaper, hence the choice. We have heard that Tunisia is quite good but not sure have never been there so really know nothing about the marinas or the country to be honest. We are limited on time so may split the journey in 2...........Almeria to maybe Tunisia, Malta etc. then 6 months later to Marmaris leaving the following year to head to our final destination which will probably be Preveza. What are the prices like in Malta?

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
I can't help regarding Malta, but if you reach the Ionian and are unable to sail much for the following year, why not store ashore at one of Preveza yards; even if you launch and return to the yard a couple of times in the year, it'd still be much cheaper than Levkas Marina. If you go for the marina option, K&G's marina at Kalamata is substanyially cheaper than their ones at Levkas or Gouvia.

TNT

Visit site
Possibly a good option we have prices for Cleopatra & Preveza yards. The most we'll probaly manage next seson is a couple of weeks sailing so might be an option to just launch for a coupe of weeks then lift out again while we're not there. would be interested to hear from anyone living aboard in Vhliho Bay. Also what are the regulations of anchoring permanently once we move out there?

gavin_lacey

Visit site
Sorry if this constitutes thread drift but we are contemplating a similar trip - ibiza to eastern med in october this year. Can anyone tell me the likely weather at this time of year - obviously with all the usual caveats.

jeremyshaw

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What are the prices like in Malta?

[/ QUOTE ]
Malta's not particularly cheap, but has a couple of good marinas and good haulout. You can get contact details for pricing from noonsite.com.

LadyJessie

Visit site
October might be one of the best months for that crossing. You might get some tail end of a Mistral between Ibiza and Sardinia, but passed that you should be OK. It is after the worst of the Meltemi so the Aegean crossing is usually smooth and it is before the winter storms of the eastern Med that can start as early as November. This info with all the usual caveats, of course.

TNT

Visit site
Just looking at info on Yasmin Hammamet Marina Tunisia, anyone been? Might be an option for a couple of months while we come back home. Don't know much about Tunisia or the flight availability!!

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
An October trip of two weeks has a 50% probability of meeting a period of unsettled weather (30% first two weeks, 70% second two weeks) - a passing depression perhaps, occupying two to four days. This may or may not include a cold front with associated thunderstorms. If it does, some very vigourous winds are possible.

Passage of such depressions is usually well signalled by navtex.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
There are plenty of options for anchoring permanently, free of charge, around the Nidri area.

Free of charge, that is, if you have some means of keeping the battery topped up (solar?) and the bilge pumped. I've pushed onto the mud at Tranquil bay for a winter; there are many similar safe spots around.

When Ladyjessie was suggesting a route, I think he meant Paros, rather than Paxos . . .

Kalamata and Patras are suitable options to consider if you prefer a marina base (albeit with more cost) and easier travel out of season. Travel to Kalamata is covered comprehensively on my web site (Messinia tab), which also has a lot of detail to help cruise planning through the Balearics, Sardinia, Sicily and Greece.

LadyJessie

Visit site
Thanks Jim, you are correct. I constantly mix up Paros, Poros and Paxos. Important to know when you are receiving crew. I once had two crew taking a ferry to me from Piraeus and they got onboard the Paros ferry instead of the Poros one. That is a diffence of about a day round-trip if you get that wrong.

Hawkflier

Visit site
Hi, we have just bought our 1st boat a Dromor Apollo 40' with the intention of eventually moving her from Spain to
Greece. We are planning to sail her from Almerimar to Marmaris at the start of next season. We have a time scale in mind but would appreciate any advice on a couple of cheap overnight places to stay on the way and how long the trip would approx. take. Many Thanks TNT
I have just come across your post regarding a Dromor Apollo 40' (I presume this is the same as the Dromor Apollo12).
I have been thinking about buying one this summer.
What do you think of yours?
How well-founded are they and what about the longer distance cruising capability and comfort regarding living aboard in warm climates.
Cheers

Marsupial

Visit site
Sorry I wasn't completley clear on my last post (1st timer so bare with me). Our intentions are, in a year or so (or when we manage to sell our house) we are moving to Lefkas to live aboard. In the meantime we are stuck in the UK & our new boat, frustratingly is in Spain. We only have a limited time available from work (2-3 weeks) so the trip to Turkey doesn't allow for much sight seeing unfortunately. I have just heard today that our mooring in Marmaris is not available until June now so may leave her in Almerimar until then. We would prefer to have her in Greece but as we are not going to get to use her very much for a year the marina fees play a big part of our descision. Marmaris if anyone has been is half the price & facilites are tip top. If anyone knows of a good less expensive alternate marina near or on the way to the Ionion with good flight access - suggestions would be welcome.

We covered Almerimar to Valletta in 7 and bit days with no stops in early May this year; sailed 700 ish miles and motored 200 ish (which means we motor sailed a few). To avoid the nasty weather to the North we chose a route that took us along the Algerian coast, with that you get a 2 knot current in your favour - but you cant stop! (at least not with the almanac or insurers blessing). The choice for you from there is to go around the north side of Crete and on to Turkey or through the southern ionian through the Corinth canal and on to Turkey.

That said you may find getting reasonable weather windows difficult for the whole trip in your timeframe, we waited 5 days in Almerimar for something with a W in it, and 6 days in Valletta for a half decent forcast for the Ionian.

Check out Messolongi Marina, could be a good move.