'Med' mooring

A

Anonymous

Re: Gib

Hi Grehan, Thanks for the update on Gib. When I compare your description of 'how to moor' in Gib compared with the couple of bow lines and a single stern line that we need in Almerimar, it makes me want to stay here...however, we are tucked round in Darcena 3 and it is very quiet here. Darcena 2 is also quiet but the two main pontoons are very exposed and both last year and this there were some liveaboards who had difficulty in getting off their boats!

The tax issues have not changed for us and I haven't heard of any problems here. However, these things can be insidious and I like to keep fully informed. We are planning to emigrate officially to Spain and when we do that I will regularise the position but that will NOT include flagging the Nauticat in Spain!! Either we will operate her via a UK company, or sell her but we don't like to flaunt laws or regulations and try to follow the rules whenever it is practicable to do so. Unfortunately the present rules don't seem to have been written with people like us in mind and it is almost impossible to comply - other than by leaving which is not what anyone wants, I believe.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info

Almeria vs Gib; Winter weather. Allow for +/- 50% variation season to season, but otherwise:

Almeria is the driest and sunniest place in the Med over winter. Stong winds seem to disturb things only about a couple of times each winter.

Winter Gibraltar is pretty wet by comparison, and frequently blows a hooley either from the east or the west, with 50% rest periods while it's deciding which way to blow next.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Jim. Certainly Almerimar is a good place to winter. We have never experienced a summer here but it would be impossible without aircon, I think. We do have aircon but there is nowhere to day sail to, either. A pretty dull sort of coast round here, sailing-wise, until you get to the Cabo de Gata National Park which is stunning.

badman

Visit site
Re: You\'re suggesting that....

Bows to or Stren to mooring seems to be ok with most guys but a lot of the ladies hate it for all sorts of reasons.

I notice the new marinas here on the Costa Blanca are going for fingers.

The prices at the said marinas reflect the ten precent loss of space

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Re: That Dump!!!

Steve you are becoming more pompous, remember we all know your Bav yacht is an ex Kiruculis charter managment boat .You were Jonny Charterer.behave yourself and act like a liveaboard, be kind to the unwashed. cheers bobt

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info

I do like Spanish translations:

Cabo de Gata: Marine environment

'In the Natural park is a protected marine extension of 12,000 You have, corresponding to one mile marine from the coast, with more than thousand species between flora and fauna, that does that altogether, given described the geologic aspects of vulcanism, can be spoken of biotopo sailor of first order.
The cliffs, that represent the greater percentage in the coast of Níjar, have one varied continuation under the water, profusely of grottos, caves, walls, extraplomos, blocks and typical magmatic outcrops of volcanic génesis and marine erosion, generators of one of the more beautiful marine bottoms and better conserved of the Mediterranean.
The rocky composition and the clarity of their water, of up to 18-20 meters in optimal conditions, turn it a paradise for the contemplativo and photographic diving.
In some places, like Mónsul or Rodalquilar, we can enjoy this so single beauty to a meter of depth, being able, until the most timid swimmers, to be surprised of this unusual wealth. It will be from the 5 meters and until the 20 where the most experimented they enjoy a unique spectacle which we will divide for its better understanding in three bottoms:'

Now, the three bottoms were something else, but I don't want to bore you. It's amazing what you find when you're researching a cruising guide. But perhaps a short cut is in order:

Many anchorages?

Richard10002

Visit site

When I was using an Italian Sim to "connect to the Internet", the Italian for " to connect to the internet" translated into English as "in order to be annoying on the internet", acording to Alta Vista Babelfish.

very strange

chasroberts

Visit site

Hi Lemain

Having wintered in both Almerimar and Gib, I just have a couple of points to add to Grehan's description.

Weatherwise, definitely better in Almerimar and has been said you can get some hoolies blow through here. On the other hand there are compensations. You are not as cut off from everything here as you are in Almerimar. The airport is a 10 minute walk from the Marina as is Morrisons.

All the English goodies you could wish for and a haven for boozers and smokers with cheap spirits (Bells 1L £4.45) and fags (200 Marlborough Light £10.90) Other food costs are similar to the Uk but just across the border you have a choice of a Carrefour hypermarket or a copule of the standard chain supermarkets where most things are much cheaper.

Good liveaboard community here and there's always something going on beside my feeble attempts at taxing the brainpower of some. Nice bars/restaurants on the Marina etc.

Security wise, it's not too bad here. Certainly more secure than Almerimar where I had the boat broken into and about £3K of gear nicked. We have a marina guy on all night, every night who keeps a glad eye on things. Showers are always hot. You can compare prices on the Marina Bay Website.

So, as always, it becomes a bit of a tradeoff and to some degree you pays your money; you takes your choice. Out of the two places, I have enjoyed Gib more than Almerimar but it's not to everyone's choice.

Feel free to pm Grehan or me if you want more specific info.

Regards

Chas

A

Anonymous

Hi Chas,

I've only just come across your post - I must have forgotten to check the box to give me email notices (or it went astray). Many thanks for your input. It is certainly a thought. We have decided to emigrate to Spain (i.e. cut all links with the UK except having a British Passport) in the next year to 18 months and are house hunting at the moment in an area centered about 40km WNW of El Ejido (Almerimar's local town). So Almerimar is the most convenient for viewing but it probably isn't too far to drive.

Here in Almerimar, we have Spanish friends and can always borrow a Spanish plated car - much like having our own car, actually. What would the situation be in Gib - would we have to hire? Here in Spain we can't buy a car as we don't presently have NIEs - could we buy a car legally in Gib, on Gib plates, without being an official Resident of Gib? What happens when you drive over from Gib to Spain in a Gib plated car, any problems with borders, Spanish police, etc.? I wouldn't consider buying a GB plated car, having just got rid of one because it was too expensive to keep current with DVLA and legal down here.

David