Marine engineer in the Algarve

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Looks like we will be needing someone in or around Faro to make and fit new engine mounting plates and re-align the Beta16 we had fitted to Avy-J in Cascais.

We have already been utterly screwed over by the guy who installed the engine, who originally said he would come to Faro to fix the problem as it was entirely his fault. However, he now appears to have reneged on that. So we need a genuine person who can help us. A real engineer, not a cowboy or someone who sees it as a money tree, someone who understands small engine installations in old yachts and will do a decent job for a fair price.

All recommendations gratefully received.

- W

lusitano

Visit site
Looks like we will be needing someone in or around Faro to make and fit new engine mounting plates and re-align the Beta16 we had fitted to Avy-J in Cascais.

We have already been utterly screwed over by the guy who installed the engine, who originally said he would come to Faro to fix the problem as it was entirely his fault. However, he now appears to have reneged on that. So we need a genuine person who can help us. A real engineer, not a cowboy or someone who sees it as a money tree, someone who understands small engine installations in old yachts and will do a decent job for a fair price.

All recommendations gratefully received.

- W

Algarve Marine Services | Boat Sales & Maintenance in Vilamoura

Chris Watson at Algarve Marine Services is a real engineer. I woudn,t hesitate to recomend him.
The problem I see at this moment would be timing.
August is their busiest time, particularly for mobo repairs, so you may have to wait a while.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

doug748

Visit site
Given that the Technodrive gearbox (if you have it) can give problems it is probably a good idea to get the chap to check that:

a) The linkage pushes the selector fully into forward and reverse
b) That the neutral position on the gearbox arm at rest is in it's proper position
c) That the engine speed is not excessive as the gears engage.

I change the gearbox oil yearly now - don't know if it does the slightest good but as contamination of the drive cones is an established problem, it certainly does no harm.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Given that the Technodrive gearbox (if you have it) can give problems it is probably a good idea to get the chap to check that:

a) The linkage pushes the selector fully into forward and reverse
b) That the neutral position on the gearbox arm at rest is in it's proper position
c) That the engine speed is not excessive as the gears engage.

I change the gearbox oil yearly now - don't know if it does the slightest good but as contamination of the drive cones is an established problem, it certainly does no harm.

There's no problem with the gearbox . . . we need new engine mounts.

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Was the guy who fitted your engine an approved Beta installer? If so, you may be able to bring some pressure via them. Remember no-one is allowed in the yard to work on your boat without Bruce's approval.

He certainly was not an approved Beta installer. He was, I am afraid to say, a bit of a cowboy - though he came highly recommended.

It's a long story.

I know I need Bruce's approval if anyone is going to work in the yard. I could also possibly launch the boat and move it, using temporary engine mounts and a 'good enough' alignment. All will become much clearer when we get back to the boat, I am just looking for any recommendations for someone to do the work at the moment.

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Indeed, but you will have problems with it if it has been fitted by a chancer. When you have a good mechanic I suggest he attends to those points

Funny you should say that... He overfilled in and after the first 5 hours running the bilge had pinky-tinged water in it.

Checked with Beta who said no harm was likely to have occurred, the oil would have come out through the pressure relief valve. Reduced the level to normal and mopped up the mess, all good since then.

- W