marine boat toilet

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Have you considered using a normal domestic loo where your waste tank is directly under the loo.

The U bend would stop any smell coming back up the loo. The normal flush tank could be filled from your norml fresh water tank with a pressure water tank and as the water supply is separate no possibility of any contaminated just like a domestic fresh water on in a home

The operation would be exactly the same as at home so no training needed no special loo paper just need to monitor the waste tank level than can be done with a float switch inside the tank as I have with my boat waste tank

tinny tim

Visit site
Have you considered using a normal domestic loo where your waste tank is directly under the loo.
Yes i have indeed! a very cheep and easy set up. but uses to much water (think about 2 gallon a flush). I dont know why the boats at see dont use them as they have endless supply of inlet and when tank full they can leave harbour to dump tank

KevinV

Visit site
Yes i have indeed! a very cheep and easy set up. but uses to much water (think about 2 gallon a flush). I dont know why the boats at see dont use them as they have endless supply of inlet and when tank full they can leave harbour to dump tank
There's a whole heap of reasons, all to do with water of varying desirability sloshing around.
I understand your requirement better now, and there's no particular reason not to use a marine toilet - just make sure you budget in the higher cost of the pipework required. You really do need to use sanitary grade hose or it will stink.
Seaflo make generally OK kit, and the Jabsco doesn't have an unblemished reputation either. The boating fraternity tend to stick to what they trust - in your situation I wouldn't be too concerned. Have a look at a Lavac too, they're simpler to operate and maintain.
I would do a little more research into low volume gravity flush toilets - it really would be much simpler and cheaper for you.

rogerthebodger

Visit site

There is a boat in Durban marina that does us a domestic loo. He has lots of space so does not need a small unit.

The main issue on boats is the storage of sea water in a tank can and does smell after a short time and the linited amount of fresh water that a boat normally have for use on board.

To reduce fresh water usage I do have a sea water tap at my galley sink for initially washing of dishes.

So yes a domestic loo could be used but does have down side issues.

I do have a black water tank so one of my heads can pump out to sea or into a blackwater tank that can be then pumped to sea so at a pump out station.

When I lived in the UK my little boat used mainly on inland waterways had a porta potty that I would empty at the nearest public loo

The other loo to consider is a composting toilet not had one so dont know too much about any disposal of the compost

They have been discussed before on here

tinny tim

Visit site
the pipework required. You really do need to use sanitary grade hose or it will stink.
Do you use the blue chemical by any chance? if so what is it called and where can you buy it?

I would do a little more research into low volume gravity flush toilets - it really would be much simpler and cheaper for you.
Portloos where anywhere upwards of £700, The American style RVs where in the hundards, the cassette thretfords where crap!

I did however like the toilets found on trains, but as the trailer has no unit to pull it, I am unable to set an air supply to suck the waste from the toilet

KevinV

Visit site
Do you use the blue chemical by any chance? if so what is it called and where can you buy it?

Portloos where anywhere upwards of £700, The American style RVs where in the hundards, the cassette thretfords where crap!

I did however like the toilets found on trains, but as the trailer has no unit to pull it, I am unable to set an air supply to suck the waste from the toilet
No, no chemicals, but I can see you might in your situation - I'd ask your proposed waste disposal chap.

I meant a low volume domestic toilet, not anything RV or caravanish. My toilet in the attic room is (I think) about a 7l flush.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

Not sure where your derogatory opinion of Thetford cassette toilets comes from. Millions have been installed in motorhomes and caravans. Like all equipment they need maintenance and sometimes fail. Overall they are ideal for the purpose you intend. Mine is in a well-used 2007 vehicle. It has had a few problems but has cost very little in repairs. Unlike the toilets on my boat that have been totally replaced several times and cost a lot in repairs. Jabsco and RM.

tinny tim

Visit site
OK so probably going to go with the marine toilet at this stage

I am in talks with makers of waste tanks trying to find a suitable waste tank for this toilet.

Looking at this toilet
Seaflo Manual Marine Toilet
From the photo there looks to be 3 holes to it. one under the toilet and one under the controller flush and a pipe at the back

I need a little more info really so they can find me the right size tank that will fit the outlet. Dose anyone know what the floor layout of these are like and are there really 3 holes to it, any one know the whole sizes?

Thanks

tinny tim

Visit site
There is a boat in Durban marina that does us a domestic loo. He has lots of space so does not need a small unit.

The main issue on boats is the storage of sea water in a tank can and does smell after a short time and the linited amount of fresh water that a boat normally have for use on board.

To reduce fresh water usage I do have a sea water tap at my galley sink for initially washing of dishes.

So yes a domestic loo could be used but does have down side issues.
Dont know why more people dont fit them out really, the boat owner would appear to have a few bob though!

KevinV

Visit site
OK so probably going to go with the marine toilet at this stage

I am in talks with makers of waste tanks trying to find a suitable waste tank for this toilet.

Looking at this toilet
Seaflo Manual Marine Toilet
From the photo there looks to be 3 holes to it. one under the toilet and one under the controller flush and a pipe at the back

I need a little more info really so they can find me the right size tank that will fit the outlet. Dose anyone know what the floor layout of these are like and are there really 3 holes to it, any one know the whole sizes?

Thanks
Have a look at these diagrams - I'm not sure where you're seeing three holes.

SEAFLO MANUAL MARINE TOILET (SFMTM-01) boat yacht motorhome caravan narrowboat

Refueler

Visit site

The cassette system I had in last vans .. was self supplied water in top holding part. had no connection to the vans water supply.

The 'Thetford' I have in the workshop is same ... top flush water ... then bottom black water holding cassette.

Of course things evolve ... but the split cassette types are still sold ..

My Snap 23 had a Cruiser Loo ... marine brand of the Porta Potti .... I removed it and reverted to 'Bucket and Chuck it' .... because it had a habit of emptying contents into the centre keel bilge (she was triple keel).

Eccles

Visit site
Why not do away with the need for water to flush entirely.
I have just removed my marine loo & holding tank and replaced with a Cuddy
I'm very pleased with it. No restrictions on holding tank capacity & no smells!

Cuddy-composting-toilet-e1701953362814[1].png

tinny tim

Visit site
Only 2 holes.
1) flush inlet 19 mm dia
2) flush outlet 38mm dia

I replaced the pump with a electric diaphragm pump and a the inlet flush with a small diaphragm
So Where are the wholes in relation to the toilet, can you see it on the image i attached? do you know which number they are?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-03 17.31.40.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-03 17.31.40.png
    461.9 KB · Views: 16

KevinV

Visit site
but it dose not show you the lay out on the floor so you know what type of tank will fit it
I think you're assuming there's a hole right under the pan, through the floor - there isn't.

There's a water inlet just under the pipe leading to the top of the pan, at the back of the top of the pump. The outlet is at the bottom of the pump. Both connections by flexi hose, no other connections.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Part 8 bolts to the underside of part 3 which directs the black water to the bottom of the pump which is pumped out of part 16 which is piped to the BW tank inlet

Part 13 connects to part 12 in the bowel flush and is connected to outlet on part 31.

The part 18 has an inlet that gets piped to the flush water tank or the the sea water inlet on a boat

So only 2 holes

Part 8 is the head mounting to the floor

tinny tim

Visit site
I think you're assuming there's a hole right under the pan, through the floor - there isn't.

There's a water inlet just under the pipe leading to the top of the pan, at the back of the top of the pump. The outlet is at the bottom of the pump. Both connections by flexi hose, no other connections.
Im a bit confused! So i have attached a drawing of the 3 holes i was refering to

Attachments

• marine toilet.png
    marine toilet.png
    482.9 KB · Views: 15