Marina Security

johnalison

Visit site
Security differs enormously from country to country. In the Netherlands there is often very little security, at least outside Amsterdam, and little needed because the world of boating is well integrated into their society. I have tied up in town harbours in many places, especially around the Baltic, where townspeople walk past our boats, and sometimes enjoy a chat, while in the UK we sailors are viewed as outsiders with lots of probably unearned cash and therefore fair game for any sort of bad behaviour. Having said that, the only theft I have heard of was when a couple of drunks boarded our friend's large boat in Breskens and tried to make off with the ensign staff but just chucked it in the water when disturbed, where it sank.

GEM43

Visit site
We’ve had our Raymarine ST60 covers nicked. They seem to sell on eBay for ridiculous money hence that’s why they were nicked I suppose. And two large inflatable fenders nicked, not on the same occasion.

ylop

Visit site
its curious how little security there is on boats. You could walk on to almost any marina in the U.K., climb aboard virtually any boat, and motor it away without causing any meaningful damage

Wansworth

Visit site
Chichester marina just has open walk ways so visitors can access easily the pontoons whilst here in Galicia the pontoons are accessed via locked gates and codes that make it impossible to meet anyone without a mobile phone and sadly it definitely separates the yachts from the town ……The marina took over the whole of the harbour in the centre of the town and now it’s privatized

ylop

Visit site
Chichester marina just has open walk ways so visitors can access easily the pontoons whilst here in Galicia the pontoons are accessed via locked gates and codes that make it impossible to meet anyone without a mobile phone and sadly it definitely separates the yachts from the town ……The marina took over the whole of the harbour in the centre of the town and now it’s privatized
But I bet anyone who “looks like they belong” can just walk in behind someone else without question!

GHA

Visit site
We’ve had our Raymarine ST60 covers nicked. They seem to sell on eBay for ridiculous money hence that’s why they were nicked I suppose. And two large inflatable fenders nicked, not on the same occasion.
It's quite sad that even in areas with extreme poverty it can be other cruisers nicking stuff off your boat & not the locals.

srm

Visit site
Denmark was a refreshing change from gates and locks. Walked away from out first yacht harbour, no gates on the walkways so expected a perimeter security fence, but no obstructions as we walked in to the town. All the yacht harbours were open to all, some had BBQ grills with small beds of herbs planted around them, partly to discourage the use of boat mounted units that some harbours had rules against. One afternoon a family turned up on bicycles for a BBQ.

Richborough

Visit site
When I had a boat in welford on avon . If someone drove behind you through the gates. You would politely ask them the gate code. If they didn't know you wouldn't let them in .owners rule. It worked

Richborough

Visit site
It was a fantastic place . Really nice owner couldn't do enough for you . Compound storage for a 21ft boat wasn't even 300£for the year. Then I did a silly thing and had a heart attack sadly had to give it up . Still miss the place.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Fortunately very little theiving on the East Coast

School holidays sometimes results with youngsters messing about.

Surprised that chandler's suffer a fair bit of shop lifting.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
There is absolutely nothing blocking people from walking onto the boats where we are. I've even seen people stepping on boats to pose for photo's that I know they don't have any connection with. I actually turned up the other day to find the rigger half way up the mast, doing the inspection I'd asked for, but completely unexpectedly.

I have never had anything stolen.

I regularly go to different marinas, with different levels of security. I have yet to find one where it has been quicker to wait for them to open the gate on checkout than to step around the side of it. Actually I suspect that you're just slowing down the emergency services.

johnalison

Visit site
I think that very often there is safety in numbers, and that the more people there are around the less that petty criminals are likely to want to take a chance. We used to keep our boat in Maylandsea where a public footpath goes through the boatyard. I used to regard this as a positive virtue since it was harder for anyone to be unobserved. Somewhere like the town pontoon in Dartmouth is so clearly in view that I have never worried about leaving the boat.

Wansworth

Visit site
Once the paranoia of the idea someone could steal stuff in these days of battery powered cutters and drills it could Bea never ending worry about leaving a boat on a mooring.Occassional you get spates of outboard stealing but in the main unless the thief makes defínales plans boats are pretty secure

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I think that very often there is safety in numbers, and that the more people there are around the less that petty criminals are likely to want to take a chance. We used to keep our boat in Maylandsea where a public footpath goes through the boatyard. I used to regard this as a positive virtue since it was harder for anyone to be unobserved. Somewhere like the town pontoon in Dartmouth is so clearly in view that I have never worried about leaving the boat.
I think that works both ways! The "observer" has to be able to tell the difference between good and bad behaviour... Hence references to people managing to look as if their presence is legitimate when it is not!

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
My marina is open access, no gates to the marina or the pontoons. Other marinas I have been berthed at for a few years did have gates with security codes et cetera. Vandalism and theft happened at these locations with security gates and at least one other marina in the area. However, they were isolated events and not indicative of poor security.

At my current marina I wondered about security and when discussing with the harbor master it was suggested that most berth holders would not want gates and entry codes. I am of this opinion but whenever I buy expensive kit for the boat, I do wonder about security. Reality does suggest that it is not warranted.

I think we need to be careful about claims of vandalism and poor security as it can unjustifiably blight a business reputation when there is very little that can be done to prevent determined vandals and professional thieves. An example is Dunstaffnage Marina that had the claim of boats being vandalized for years in the Clyde Cruising Club sailing directions, which did not stand up to scrutiny.

Bouba

Visit site
Not just theft...vandalism is a big problem....especially as marine repairs cost so much