Malo anchor setup query

Storyline

Visit site
As we designed (mostly copied tbh) our own beefed up twin bow roller with self-launching flappy bit, we always look at other systems with interest. The current favourite is the method employed by Malo in a lot of their cruising yachts. They have a vertical slot in the bow say 500mm down the stem and into this the shaft of the anchor fits leaving just the flukes outside the hull and hard up against the fitting.

This has advantages such as leaving the bow roller clear for mooring strops and presumably ease of deployment and recovery. There are a couple of points though, that I would like to know the answer to if anyone on here has experience of cruising with a Malo. Not how do you get enough money to buy one of these floating pieces of gorgeousness but rather two mundane questions .....

a) Does much water get pushed up the slot if the bow buries into a wave and if so, where does it go ?

b) Are you ever concerned about any twisting moment when the exposed anchor flukes are hit by solid water or does the system feel more or less bomb proof in heavy weather ?

Many thanks for any info. Sadly this is only curiosity as we love Storyline and it would need help from our Premium Bonds to have the ability to buy one in the 36-40' range that would be our choice.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I do not own a Malo but I have a friend who does and he has asked me one significant question about the anchor arrangement on several occasions. The slot is designed specifically for a Bruce/Claw anchor. Nothing else will fit properly. If you are not happy using a Bruce, and I confess I would not be, then you will need to work out an alternative arrangement, which might prove difficult and expensive.

olam

Visit site
I have a Rocna 20kg on our Malo 36.
It fits better than the original Bruce.
The anchor covers the slot when stowed but i have wondered how much water comes in the locker.It Has two drains.
I have never fancied the trip forward to check in the conditions when solid water would be coming over our bow.
Bomb Proof.IMG_1272.JPG

Caladh

Visit site
Will also be fitting a Rocna to our Malo this winter - they will fit although some adjustment appears to be made to support the shank inside the locker. TBH I do not like the Malo anchor arrangement through the bow but we are learning to live with it and love the rest of the boat !!

olam

Visit site
Yes,forgot about the support.
I just extended the support tube so it holds the shank and locks in place.
It works well unless the anchor comes up the wrong way round.We lift the anchor and reverse which rotates anchor into the right position.
Trying to live without a swivel for now.
Also the old Bruce was a pain when moored to a buoy as it kept hooking the strop under the side flukes.

Last edited:

Talulah

Visit site
When raising the anchor the chain inside the locker stacks up. The lower anchor position creates more issues when raising a long length of chain. i.e. you have to knock the chain stack over. The effect is very much reduced if you use stainless chain instead. (see price before committing.)

When I say lower anchor position I'm referring to the lower windlass position to match.

Last edited:

fearmhuir

Visit site
Hi Olam? I also have a Malo 36 (2003) and I wonder if you could post a picture of how the Rocna stores inside in the chain locker. You mention a 'support tube' inside the locker, which I don't have. On mine, the current Bruce just extends towards the jockey wheel below the anchor windlass, and the chain tension holds it in place?
Did you go ahead and fit a Rocna as well Caladh? How does it fit?
Thanks

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
This is an old thread from 2019 so you might not get a response from the previous posters. I have a Malo 43 and have recently spent a lot of time researching what anchors will fit the Malo roller/winch configuration. After building templates for Spade, Excel and Vulcan (my top three anchors of choice) I can say that only the Vulcan fits. The Spade shank is too long - it conflicts with the jockey wheel meaning the winch can’t pull the rode tight to secure the anchor up to the roller and the Excel has a long fluke that conflicts with the stem when pulled home. The Vulcan has a shorter shank and the fluke tip doesn’t conflict with the stem so it’s Hobson’s choice. I’m awaiting delivery of the 25kg Vulcan, if you’re interested I’ll send you pictures of the anchor fit when I’ve fitted it.

The other issue is the width of the anchor connector, I’ve G70 8mm chain and the G70 oversized link doesn’t fit through the Malo stem anchor slot. It is a 56mm slot and a 55mm anchor connector - but nonetheless it jambs. I’ve had to go for an Ultra anchor connector to maintain the g70 WLL specification whilst having a fitting that will pass through the stem slot.

fearmhuir

Visit site
Thanks Robih. Maybe I will try a PM to each of them. I do know that the Spade 20 kg will fit the Malo 36, as I have seen two other boats with it fitted. The 20 kg model shank does not stretch down as far as the jockey wheel.
Currently I have a Kong anchor swivel on my Bruce, which does fit through the slot?
Thanks for your input.

Robih

Visit site
Yes, pretty sure a Kong swivel will fit through fine. The problem is you really need three chain links between anchor attachment point and the swivel to prevent side loading on the Kong, that’s when it can be a problem for shank/chainlength banging up against the jockey wheel.

fearmhuir

Visit site
OK. That makes sense. I have the Kong swivel mounted directly to the Bruce at the moment, but was planning not to use a swivel on the new anchor, whatever that is, and see how it goes.

olam

Visit site
I don't use a swivel, Nearly lost my last anchor when a Kong split apart. If you make sure the boat has no way on or just drifting astern when you
break out the anchor I find it always come up right way round.
No jockey wheel on mine. Some Malos have them to keep more links on the gypsy.
20kg fit fine.IMG_1318.JPG

fearmhuir

Visit site
Ah, I see what you mean now regarding the tube. I have the jockey wheel which does the same thing when the anchor is stowed.
Many thanks for the photo, that gives me an idea of where the top of the shank comes to, I think it will just be clearing the jockey wheel.
My Bruce had a swivel directly on the shank when I got the boat, which I am not mad about. Plan to change the anchor and not use a swivel and see how it goes.
Thank you very much for the pic Olam, am much obliged.

seismicsid

Visit site
This is an old thread from 2019 so you might not get a response from the previous posters. I have a Malo 43 and have recently spent a lot of time researching what anchors will fit the Malo roller/winch configuration. After building templates for Spade, Excel and Vulcan (my top three anchors of choice) I can say that only the Vulcan fits. The Spade shank is too long - it conflicts with the jockey wheel meaning the winch can’t pull the rode tight to secure the anchor up to the roller and the Excel has a long fluke that conflicts with the stem when pulled home. The Vulcan has a shorter shank and the fluke tip doesn’t conflict with the stem so it’s Hobson’s choice. I’m awaiting delivery of the 25kg Vulcan, if you’re interested I’ll send you pictures of the anchor fit when I’ve fitted it.

The other issue is the width of the anchor connector, I’ve G70 8mm chain and the G70 oversized link doesn’t fit through the Malo stem anchor slot. It is a 56mm slot and a 55mm anchor connector - but nonetheless it jambs. I’ve had to go for an Ultra anchor connector to maintain the g70 WLL specification whilst having a fitting that will pass through the stem slot.
Hi did you succeed with the vulcan anchor on your malo. Have you any pictures? I have a malo 37 with 15kg ss bruce and just 45m of 8mm chain. I dong have much confidence in the anchor but to avoid needing to change things st the bow stem am firstly upgrading the chain to 50m of MF “solid zinc” 10mm chain. Am hoping the additional weight will help the anchor setting and staying set. My anchor does not sit in a stem slot. I am sure I could fashion something if needed. Did the vulcan fit well ? Are you pleased with its performance?

Reading other threads the slog width on the Malos at 55mm limits swivel choice. I have been impressed with the build of mantus s2 but reckon it will jam in the slot. Has anyone any experience? The kong swivel looks well made but I am concerned about pins falling out !
Please all ignore the wrong anchor shackle fitting and type in photo. It is changed to a bow type now and fitted with bow through anchor to allow articulation.

Attachments

• IMG_7317.jpeg
    IMG_7317.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42

Tranona

Visit site
Can't comment on whether you can fit a better anchor, but there is no advantage in using heavier chain. weight on its own doe not improve either setting or holding. That is a function of anchor design. There are some who argue that the increase in the catenary allows a pull at a lower angle when setting but firstly the increase is small and not quantified and secondly there is no reliable evidence that setting is improved using heavier chain. As for holding again weight has nothing to do with the strength of the hold and above 25-30 knots of wind the chain is straight, irrespective of its size. 8mm is more than adequate. Don't forget if you do buy bigger chain in the "hope" that it might help you will need a new gypsy for your windlass.

Kong are fine if installed in accordance with the instructions. Some people also use the method suggested here
jimmygreen.com/anchor-connectors/27472-kong-swivel-anchor-connector-stainless-steel-aisi-316

jbweston

Visit site
I have had a Malö 37, Penguin, for the last 14 years, of which 12 have been in Sweden, Denmark and the Baltic. We anchor a lot in preference to overnighting in harbour, and I have found the Bruce anchor perfectly satisfactory except when the bottom has thick weed - but then again I think few anchors can cope with thick weed. I am not trying to be contentious here (or, heaven forbid!, start another anchor thread) as I know that many new generation anchors are excellent - it's just that the Bruce has always worked OK for me. To the extent that if it sets OK and will hold with some reverse engine I never bother to set an anchor alarm.

I seem to recall that there has been some discussion on the Malö Facebook group about fitting new generation anchors. I think the secret might be to take up the manufacturers' offers of cardboard templates and see what you can get to fit.

The Malö system is a little inconvenient when mooring bow to a buoy (very rare in the Baltic) and it sounds as if it is tricky to change for some patterns of anchor. But against that we have the excellent ease of deployment, windlass tucked away out of the elements, no mud on deck, no snagging of the jib or spinnaker sheets and no stubbing our toes. So on balance I think it's an excellent system. For me at least.

stranded

Visit site
We have a stem system very like the Malo on our Sunbeam 44, with a 25kg Bugel on 8mm G7.

I agree with JBWeston re pros and cons, especially re mooring buoys - in reality we very rarely have a problem when cruising, but when in alternate winters we leave her on a buoy on the Dart for several months, we lift the anchor out of the slot (using a spare halyard) and stow it in the anchor locker. Bit of a pain but it’s only once every two years.

Robih

Visit site
Hi did you succeed with the vulcan anchor on your malo. Have you any pictures? I have a malo 37 with 15kg ss bruce and just 45m of 8mm chain. I dong have much confidence in the anchor but to avoid needing to change things st the bow stem am firstly upgrading the chain to 50m of MF “solid zinc” 10mm chain. Am hoping the additional weight will help the anchor setting and staying set. My anchor does not sit in a stem slot. I am sure I could fashion something if needed. Did the vulcan fit well ? Are you pleased with its performance?

Reading other threads the slog width on the Malos at 55mm limits swivel choice. I have been impressed with the build of mantus s2 but reckon it will jam in the slot. Has anyone any experience? The kong swivel looks well made but I am concerned about pins falling out !
Please all ignore the wrong anchor shackle fitting and type in photo. It is changed to a bow type now and fitted with bow through anchor to allow articulation.
Yes I have photos and can report on the Vulcan - will do so after the rugby this weekend!

roaringgirl

bit.ly
We used to have a 25kg Rocna that lived on our bow roller when not in use. I have replaced it with an alloy Excel because the lighter weight makes it far easier to lift off the roller and store in the anchor locker. The lack of roll bar makes it easier to fit in there too.

I wanted to make it easier to lift off the bow roller because in big seas, the wall of water hitting the anchor has snapped 10mm diameter pins holding it down on the roller. I can't imagine that the forces are any lower in the same situation with a Malo. I really wouldn't want that anchor stowed there in a big sea smashing against the hull.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I really wouldn't want that anchor stowed there
+1
I personally can see various other reasons
1. Very inconvenient to remove/take away the anchor from the bow before longer crossings, if one wants to,
2. More difficult to attach a snubber, except for crew with orangutan arms
3. When weighing anchor in a chop and the bow yaws up and down, no way to quickly attach/detach a chain hook to relief the load on the davit roller (having bent a davit pulley roller shaft and basically locked it, I can imagine the head scratching had it been inside the stem;
4. Very difficult to attach a tripping line, at least the type I use (it goes from the back of the anchor to the chain)
Not for me, Malo or not Malo :)