Making my post retirement sailing plans!

Skellum

Visit site
Greetings from Hong Kong - a bit further East and warmer than most of you I know. I am brand new to forum membership although I have been "observing " for a while, so please go easy on me!

With the HK situation not being great, and with time on my hands as the office and the bars here are closed, and no sailing here, my thoughts are seriously turning towards retirement planning and a return to the UK - ideally in early 2022. We will be living in Cambridge, so it looks like the Orwell would be a sensible place to keep a boat. Mrs Skellum is also a very keen sailor so we would expect to be out and on the water regularly. We like the availability of a club - always good to chat with like minded folk after a day on the water and tap into the local knowledge. Having looked at the obvious places SYH looks favourite, but I guess there is no rush to decide on that and open to other suggestions.

Boat usage will be cruising rather than racing, with long weekends on board and some extended cruising to France etc.

At this stage I would appreciate a bit of help with understanding the financials as this will determine how hard I need to work in the meantime! Our previous boat in HK was a Ruffian 23 with an outboard, which is a different kettle of fish to the 33' boat that we think would fit our requirements in the UK. I am estimating c40k for the boat, which from online research ought to be sufficient to get a decent early-mid 2000s Elan 333 or similar which doesn't need any serious money spending on it in the short term - eg engine, rigging, sails all good for the next few seasons.

Breaking it down so far, I am estimating (in today's money) mooring 1600-3800 depending on whether we go pontoon or swing, 360-400 insurance (no racing), 250 lift in / out . Maintenance wise I wouldn't describe myself as particularly gifted, though I have been known to service a winch and change the valve on a Jabsco toilet, so for stuff like the engine I would need to pay for that to be done - any thoughts as to the cost of an annual service? Also how much to budget for an antifoul? Are there any annual boat registration fees in the UK? Additionally how much to allow in a typical season for anything unexpected that breaks during the year?

Have I missed anything? Are my calculations totally wide of the mark?

Thanks for your help everyone and hope to see you on the water in a couple of seasons!

johnalison

Visit site
Your abilities are similar to mine, or rather, lack of. Antifoul and consumables , say £200 (polishes etc). Engine service can be significant at around £500. You may need to budget for visiting other places if you are doing extended cruising. Depending on where you go, this might be £20+ per night, though inland Holland and much of the Baltic is cheaper.

I don't set aside a fund for the unexpected, but this usually involves things like new sails or outboard and could be a few hundred to some thousands.

There seem to be plenty of vacancies around at present, so you should get what you want.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Estimates about correct. Assume labour costs £50-60 an hour + parts for work done. Antifouling is now like liquid gold, even dearer than sun cream , say £75-85 a tin and you may need 1.75 tins for a 333 or equivalent. For your other question, “ how long is a piece of string” and “ there’s many a slip between cup and the lip”. However if something does go wrong and you can’t fix it assume substantial expenditure.

Farmerwilliam

Visit site
Greetings from Hong Kong - a bit further East and warmer than most of you I know. I am brand new to forum membership although I have been "observing " for a while, so please go easy on me!

With the HK situation not being great, and with time on my hands as the office and the bars here are closed, and no sailing here, my thoughts are seriously turning towards retirement planning and a return to the UK - ideally in early 2022. We will be living in Cambridge, so it looks like the Orwell would be a sensible place to keep a boat. Mrs Skellum is also a very keen sailor so we would expect to be out and on the water regularly. We like the availability of a club - always good to chat with like minded folk after a day on the water and tap into the local knowledge. Having looked at the obvious places SYH looks favourite, but I guess there is no rush to decide on that and open to other suggestions.

Boat usage will be cruising rather than racing, with long weekends on board and some extended cruising to France etc.

At this stage I would appreciate a bit of help with understanding the financials as this will determine how hard I need to work in the meantime! Our previous boat in HK was a Ruffian 23 with an outboard, which is a different kettle of fish to the 33' boat that we think would fit our requirements in the UK. I am estimating c40k for the boat, which from online research ought to be sufficient to get a decent early-mid 2000s Elan 333 or similar which doesn't need any serious money spending on it in the short term - eg engine, rigging, sails all good for the next few seasons.

Breaking it down so far, I am estimating (in today's money) mooring 1600-3800 depending on whether we go pontoon or swing, 360-400 insurance (no racing), 250 lift in / out . Maintenance wise I wouldn't describe myself as particularly gifted, though I have been known to service a winch and change the valve on a Jabsco toilet, so for stuff like the engine I would need to pay for that to be done - any thoughts as to the cost of an annual service? Also how much to budget for an antifoul? Are there any annual boat registration fees in the UK? Additionally how much to allow in a typical season for anything unexpected that breaks during the year?

Thanks for your help everyone and hope to see you on the water in a couple of seasons!
Hi My Elan 333 came from the Orwell but is now in sunnier climes in Greece ! Fantastic boat and I can advise you if you want more details / tips. Don't buy a very early one as the rudders were too small. Also the standard Yanmar 2GM 20 engine is a bit puny if you want to motor in to any sea...

Skellum

Visit site
Hi My Elan 333 came from the Orwell but is now in sunnier climes in Greece ! Fantastic boat and I can advise you if you want more details / tips. Don't buy a very early one as the rudders were too small. Also the standard Yanmar 2GM 20 engine is a bit puny if you want to motor in to any sea...
Thanks for this - we’ve chartered them many times and love the way they sail, and they seem “right” for the kind of sailing we like to do. Not too many of them crop up in the UK so am reconciled to the possibility I may have to get one from Croatia when the time comes. Got another 18 months to do in HK first though!

Farmerwilliam

Visit site
I would be careful about any Croatia ex charter boats. A lot of them have simpler rigs with no back stay tensioner etc. My boat may be for sale by then! Very nice example with new sails etc. I can send some photos if you like

Denek

Visit site
We are at SYH on a swinging mooring with a 33 foot Scanmar. We like the swinging mooring as we feel like we are immediately on holiday out in the River. If you go this route would recommend a decent dinghy as it can be quite choppy going to and from the boat especially with wind over tide. We love it around the orwell as there are lots of places you can visit over a long weekend. Your coatings seem about right but you will be surprised what you can turn your hand to if pushed. Financially or otherwise. Look forward to seeing you on the water.

Skellum

Visit site
We are at SYH on a swinging mooring with a 33 foot Scanmar. We like the swinging mooring as we feel like we are immediately on holiday out in the River. If you go this route would recommend a decent dinghy as it can be quite choppy going to and from the boat especially with wind over tide. We love it around the orwell as there are lots of places you can visit over a long weekend. Your coatings seem about right but you will be surprised what you can turn your hand to if pushed. Financially or otherwise. Look forward to seeing you on the water.
Thanks for the feedback. We are looking forward to it - just got to get through another 18 months in HK first!

Rafiki

Visit site

It will all work out more costly than you expect. As well as maintenance you need to budget for upgrades ,replacements of equipment/systems.eg new sails, electrics, upholstery, etc etc say £2,000 pa.
Regarding where to keep the boat you could consider joining RHYC, after 3 years you are likely to get a place in their small marina. Cost wise it's about the same as a commercial marina ( you have to winter the boat elsewhere),but its MUCH nicer.

Skellum

Visit site
It will all work out more costly than you expect. As well as maintenance you need to budget for upgrades ,replacements of equipment/systems.eg new sails, electrics, upholstery, etc etc say £2,000 pa.
Regarding where to keep the boat you could consider joining RHYC, after 3 years you are likely to get a place in their small marina. Cost wise it's about the same as a commercial marina ( you have to winter the boat elsewhere),but its MUCH nicer.
Thanks Rafiki - will check out RHYC when next in the UK. I did have a look online and the wait to get a berth I guess was off putting although it looks a nice club. I’m hoping that the cost of sails and upholstery and hopefully some of the other things can be partly mitigated by buying a boat which is in decent nick in the first place As we don’t intend to race we won’t be in for a new set of carbon sails every season! Beyond that I’m planning budgeting a bit extra that won’t be spent every year but is there when needed.

Rafiki

Visit site
Thanks Rafiki - will check out RHYC when next in the UK. I did have a look online and the wait to get a berth I guess was off putting although it looks a nice club. I’m hoping that the cost of sails and upholstery and hopefully some of the other things can be partly mitigated by buying a boat which is in decent nick in the first place As we don’t intend to race we won’t be in for a new set of carbon sails every season! Beyond that I’m planning budgeting a bit extra that won’t be spent every year but is there when needed.
Suggest you PM me. I would PM you, but cant work out how to do that!

sailorman

Visit site

Good luck qnd get on ropof any hewlth issues.get s regular wellman check up.if only i had done what i preach

Skellum

Visit site
Thanks for the good wishes, and glad to
see you are on the mend Sailorman.
By way of an update, I was thrown a bit of a curve ball when I was made redundant last year, but was fortunate to start a new job about a month and a half after garden leave finished, so with severence payment still intact, the plan is still good and we are aiming to head back to the UK at some point next year.
Mrs Skellum is of the opinion that we might need a bigger boat - say a 35-37. I’m trying to make sense of the numbers on sail boat data when comparing different models so I might post an enquiry about that before too long. In the meantime, the concern is would a boat drawing 2m or thereabouts be too restrictive on the east coast?