Maiden voyage: Birchwood 25.

No Regrets

Visit site
Ah yes, another Birchwood 25 thread.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now the deposit is paid, and we're nearing final negotiations on the purchse of No Regrets, it was time for a 'Sea trial' around the new larger-sized Marina basin, as the River itself looked like it should have some white water rafting going on...

Scott from Thames Boat sales kindly reversed the Birchy out of her moorings as it was my first time helming a shaft driven vessel, and as it was pretty windy, gave me an excellent lesson in manoevring such a boat in said conditions.

(I'm sure most of you know this already, but for you outboard/ drive bods, this boat has directional stability only in a forwards direction, and as such will turn as tightly as you would wish for, but in reverse is at the mercy of the wind and currents, so directional input is gained by short bursts of forward gear, with the rudder in the appropriate direction, followed by a period of rearward movement with no real directional choice. It works just fine, but is very different to Shamby, which had 160bhp and a single leg!)

The B25 is smooth, stable and an utter joy to helm, with precise steering, and not much in the way of vibes or unhealthy noises, and the hardtop is great in the rain (Yes! The wipers not only flap to and fro, but clear the screens!)

After a precautionary hull check next week, we'll pay the balance, and have a full service, polish and anti-foul for the next seasons work. That said, I have already, in my mind, decided to buy her unless there is a serious defect, which is highly unlikely given the owner and care he has lavished upon her.

I can't praise the staff at Thames boat sales enough, having shown be a high level of professionalism, realism and answered every question over my dealings in the last year or so in a fair and accurate manner. I bought the first two boats, and sold one of them during this time, and have never been given a bum steer or treated with anything less than the utmost respect, and everything they told me has proved to be true!

The Birchwood is everything I currently want in a boat, Classic river style, and a good blend of size, space and comfort without tying up enormous amounts of money!

So fingers crossed.....

Ramage

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ah yes, another Birchwood 25 thread.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, you can never have too much of a good thing!

Please give Scott our regards, we found him to be very helpful and knowledgeable when we bought "Carli" .

As you mention, reversing is a little tricky at first but you soon get the hang of it.

You certainly had fun conditions for a first trip!

We went outside (it was nice weather) and promptly had to do evasive action due to a Rosie & Jim who had no idea what side of the river he should be on !
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Brayman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We went outside (it was nice weather) and promptly had to do evasive action due to a Rosie & Jim who had no idea what side of the river he should be on !
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean he might have had any idea?
Several years ago my daughter was working in the office at Monkey Island Hotel and phoned to say that a NB had been stationary midstream for about 20 minutes as several other boats had whizzed past going downstrem.
As a result we deserted the Thames and went up the Avon for a week.

nickcred

Visit site
Did I hear someone mention Birchwood 25's /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No Regrets is certainly the name I would have picked as we have never regretted a second of buying a Birchwood 25 , although a pal of mine who knew me in my youth suggested Knot Guilty - bloody cheek /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No Regrets

Visit site
I particularly like the boaty feel.

Shamby was a bit like driving a car sometimes, never really at one with the water at sub-planing speed, but fantastic on the plane.

No Regrets flows and steers much more smoothly, and feels like a mini ship.

Or is it just me? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ramage

Visit site
No, its not just you. My previous boat was outboard powered and if you were not gentle on the wheel she would zig-zag down the river.

"Carli" just goes where she is told.

Nick's "Tristan" is outdrive powered.. I do not know how that compares to the shaft drive version...perhaps we will get a chance to find out in the summer. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ramage

Visit site
Oooh how cruel!!

Very green boating though, using someone elses fuel /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

judgeit-towing.jpg

Power courtesy of "Judge IT"

Photo from Bray Cruiser Club's Cruiser News.

Any excuse for another Birchwood 25 pic! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nickcred

Visit site
Hi Guys

Tristan can be somewhat of a sulky teen if you swing the wheel to hard she will throw a strop, scream "it's not fair" and zig zag. So you do make constant small adjustments to keep her one track. However quickly get used to that (even my 9 year old can keep her straight) and she turns on a sixpence and is great at thrusting her backside into the bank when mooring and reverses like a car.

Be great to have a little go on your Birchy's in the summer and visa versa, seems we are building an official "Birchwood 25 Owners Club" lol omg someone get me a bobble hat /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No Regrets

Visit site
I can easily start a Birchwood forum, or whatever, but do you all want to spend even more time posting on yet another forum? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

apollo

Visit site
Can I join too??

(I used to own a Birchwood 22, then a Birchwood 25 Interceptor (which planed! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif))

apollo

Visit site
It will be good practise for the ATYC Boat handling in the Docks which is a towing test I believe?? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ramage

Visit site
No problem, or you can have it in beer!

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ramage

Visit site
Yes, Marian, Alex & I attended the seminar at TMYC last Sunday so we know how it should be done.

It seems we should all have been wearing blazers and white trousers during the tow!

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif