Lowrance globalmap 3500c

Howardnp

Visit site
I use the 3300c regularly and looking at the specs there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference. For the price an excellent bit of gear.
The only problem I've had has been radar affecting the antenna (so advised by Silva the importers). The antenna was replaced without question so no problems there as long as that was the problem.
Good clear display and spot on accuracy when WAAS is acquired (metre or so).

pvb

Visit site
Looks like good value...

Good 480x480 pixel resolution, and screen should be OK in sunlight. Doubt that operation is quite as intuitive as some other makes, but it has some interesting features - including the ability to open 2 map windows side-by-side at different scales. For £399 inc shipping it looks good value.

BlueMan

Visit site
If you go to the Lowrance web site you can download a 3300c simulator and try it out. There may even be a 3500c version available by now. It was trying it out that made me buy a Garmin 172C! The 3300C was capable with good features but the operating logic was strange and not at all intuitive in some places, especially editing routes as I recall.

Give it a go and see what you think. I wish other manufacturers would provide similar tools. It is the only way to really find out if you could live with them.

mhouse

Visit site
Re: Looks like good value...

Just bought a 3300c from seamark nunn for £325. Its worth a look . No import duty.

charles_reed

Visit site
Th 3500C has a slightly larger square screen than the rectangular one on the 3300C (which I suspect is what most people are referring to). These are amongst the first of the 3rd generation chartplotters and easily the most competitively priced.

I've got a 3300C, the WAAS works about 60% of the time giving a reported position error of aound 20'. Screen ia good, editing and setting routes a bit of a drag, but it's little more accurate than the 12-channel non-WAAS Garmin 35 I've got on my original 1st generation chartplotter. Aquisition is good, between 30-40 secs,but it takes about 10 mins to get down to really small PEs. Navionics Gold cartography gives you one hell of a coverage in a minute chip.

I purposely eschewed the Garmin range - they're too pricey and their mapping system (for me) inadequate. Apart from that I'd have liked to have stuck with them.

I've not used the 3300C in real life-and-death conditions but so far it's been just great - I've planned a 1800M spring cruise, Corse - Sardegna - Flegrees - Eolian - right round Sicilia on it and it's been great for monitoring system voltage amongst other things. For £378 you really can't go wrong.

PS Wiring the GPS unit can be a little difficult - the NMEA 2000 bus requires powering and the connectore are awkwardly placed - in the end I cut and rejoined all the leads rather than make enormous holes all over the boat.