Loops or no Loops?

Sans Bateau

Visit site
About to deploy a complete new set of nice white soft mooring warps (thank you Malthouse). Swmbo wants me to put loops in the end for attachment to our cleats.

Me, I hate loops and would prefer to pop a bowline in the end when a loop is needed but always know that both ends of the rope are 'clean' if a fig 8 is used or when passing a warp back from another boat in a raft.

I always fear pulling a singled up warp back aboard as we leave a mooring to find a damn loop in it that has hooked itself around a cleat or something!

What do others do?

Sans Bateau

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Teach SWMBO to tie bowlines!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll pass on your message /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sarabande

Visit site
A mixture: a couple of warps with loops for quick attachment to and release from the pontoon cleats, and the rest as plain (whipped) ends so that you can vary the length at "strange" pontoons where cleats are not in the same place relative to the boat.

Bowline knots do tend to take up a lot of room, and if you are sharing a cleat, can cause angst.

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
[ QUOTE ]
...new set of nice white soft mooring warps...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For me, my main mooring lines are always plain ends; I also like them to be far longer than I think is needed. But, having a few lines with nice big loops in them can be very handy.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bowline knots do tend to take up a lot of room, and if you are sharing a cleat, can cause angst.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and when your third or fourth in the raft, and you get to the pontoon with your shore lines you are faced with a birdsnest of cleated on warps, the only thing to do is to pass a warp under everyone elses to find a bit of cleat and fasten your warp with a bowline. Of course if all the others had already done that it would make it much easier for others.

Evadne

Visit site
Personally I have both, some lines came with loops, others didn't. Never found either a problem. Why not compromise and just put a loop in one end? That way your good lady will be able to drop the loop over the cleat and the "clean" end can go ashore. Unless the law of Sod intervenes of course .... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sans Bateau

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Unless the law of Sod intervenes of course ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep!

If I found a rope on the boat with TWO loops the knife would come out!

I might just leave a couple of warps with loops in at the bow for her to use, keep her happy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I think the excitement of owning a new boat has done strange things to you....

How do you tie a boat up with a boat hook?

Topcat47

Visit site
Loops on your permanant marina berth by all means.....even both ends...but leave them ashore. Bowlines on warps for comming alongside. The thing about loops for normal use is that they are either going to be too big or too small most of the time (cleats are different sizes wherever you go and especially when rafting up :- see the previous post)

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
On the river I have a bowline loop to the boat end and plain at the other end. Chucking ropes at lock bollards is easier if they are not looped.

Having said that I was impressed to see someone throw a very big loop over a bollard at Teddington last summer, while the lock was empty. Rodeo style loop looking like a lassoo!

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Take care, using a bowline for tying up is not a secure knot!!!!! Better to tie a number 8 knot loop if you want an eye at the end. I have known the bowline then to fail and shake itself undone under the right [wrong?] conditions, if tension is not constant and steady. Once had to chase my dinghy miles across awindy harbour to retrieve the mistake. [Tied by my crew member contrary to my instruction. Said crew was made to swim ashore to recover the dinghy]

I note that commercial traffic always attaches to a bollard with a spliced eye [loop?]. Must be some logical reason there. I always have a single looped line available [tied or spliced and not a bowline]. Can use the eye on board or on the shore bollard as conditions determine.

BAtoo

Visit site
Loops on my permanent lines in my berth so anyone can hook us on & I know the boat is the right place (wont hit anything) and plain on our "travelling" warps.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That way your good lady will be able to drop the loop over the cleat and the "clean" end can go ashore

[/ QUOTE ] If you do that what do you do with any spare. Wrap it round and round the shore/pontoon cleat to make a big "birds nest" so that no one else can get a rope on, leave it in a heap on the quay/pontoon for people to trip over or dangle it in the water? The spare should be at your end not the pontoon end so a loop becomes useless and often a nuisance.