Long lasting ensign

Wansworth

Visit site
Here in Galicia the law states the ensign has to be flown at all times hence ttters of flags attached to backstays.But the good thing is a long lag lasts as it’s a horizontal so to speak.I bought years ago a very nice very large water dipping engine but only noticed it was really old and had an eagle…..Franco era

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Here in Galicia the law states the ensign has to be flown at all times hence ttters of flags attached to backstays.But the good thing is a long lag lasts as it’s a horizontal so to speak.I bought years ago a very nice very large water dipping engine but only noticed it was really old and had an eagle…..Franco era
It's advisable not to dip your engine in the water no matter what the regulations say

NormanS

Visit site
I don't go all bubbly about sticking to exact times for my flag*, but I can't see any point in it being up in the dark, when nobody can see it anyway. It also comes down if we're leaving the boat for more than a day.
*My flag is a Scottish Saltire. 🙂

trapper guy

Visit site
im not much of a staunch patriot, so im not really affected emotionally when it comes to flying the flag.
i put it up purely for identification purposes when travelling in my boat, i leave it out at night, then put it away when on my mooring.
thats all it there for, clear identification of boats at sea.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I have a Cornish speaking wife/navigator, and our cornish named (not by us) boat ismoored in cornish waters so we fly the Cornish Ensign when on board - last about 6 years before renewal.

Seemed all Ok on visiting Brittany on various occasions, but then again no one round the world understand UK odd flag system - they see the Jack in the top left hand and ignore the background. Blue, white, red, St Pirans Cross - its all the same to them

Tomaret

Visit site
Ensigns should be worn like dinner jackets - slightly crumpled to give the impression that you are not new to whatever malarkey you are engaged in.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
As my boat is permanently moored in a foreign port I just consider it a consumable and buy cheap printed ones, but I do have a lovely big sewn one for special occasions.

SaltyC

Visit site
Have to admit to not following protocol and removing at dusk. However,if sailing at night I will remove as it obscures the stern light.