London Boat Show

Vamoose

www.flickr.com
Am imagining it or what ?

I have gone to the London Boat Show most years since the late 50's but I get the feeling that nowadays the exhibitors and stands are mainly aimed at the motor boating community and less towards the sailing community. As a result I don't think I will bother this year and save my pennies for the train fare to Southampton in September.

pioneer

Visit site
Went today,and spent more than I promised myself, but less than I expected!! Show very quiet with no problem finding a seat in the central boulevard. Had limited expectations, which was probably just as well. Also seemed a bit disjointed but maybe that's because I didn't buy the guide and forgot to download one. Bought 2 pairs of fingerless gloves for £18, a strain gauge for £45 - list £51. Got code for boat show special engine spares along with some good contacts at Beta, looked at LED replacement lamps and discussed VSRs if a second battery is needed later this month.

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
I went today and what a dire experience.

Compared to just a few years ago when the South Hall was completely full of Motorboats the North Hall was completely full of Sailing boats, and a third large tent was full of watersports equipment. The central aisle was also full of booksellers and the RNLI etc etc.

This year - one hall was barely full. Hardly any sailing boats and not many motorboats. I spent about an hour there. It wasn't very full at all

By contrast across in the other hall it was the bike/outdoor show and it was jam packed. Spent three hours in there and nearly bought a Carbon Pinarello that cost more than my first boat.

I can't see it lasting for much longer at all.

Gitane

Visit site
Roger Taylor at LIBS

Went to LIBS today, not expecting much and half expecting this to be the last LIBS.

Although somewhat shocked by the £20!! entrance fee, the hall was actually surprisingly busy, especially around the saily end of the hall.

However, I was delighted not only to see Ming Ming, Roger Taylor's junk rigged 20ft corribee in all its very seaworthy glory, but also to have had a chat with Roger Taylor himself. Roger, with his single handed long distance exploits in a small sail boat, has always been a great hero to me.

A very pleasant and informative gentleman. Made going to the show, and the fee, worthwhile.

Gitane

Last edited:

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
I went today and what a dire experience.

Compared to just a few years ago when the South Hall was completely full of Motorboats the North Hall was completely full of Sailing boats, and a third large tent was full of watersports equipment. The central aisle was also full of booksellers and the RNLI etc etc.

This year - one hall was barely full. Hardly any sailing boats and not many motorboats. I spent about an hour there. It wasn't very full at all

By contrast across in the other hall it was the bike/outdoor show and it was jam packed. Spent three hours in there and nearly bought a Carbon Pinarello that cost more than my first boat.

I can't see it lasting for much longer at all.

Comparing with a few years ago pre crunch then it is a bit of a let down, but compared with last year a great improvement, so hopefully on the way back up. Do me a favour & dont try & talk it down, it does nobody any good, & IMHO is somewhat inacurate.

Oldgeezer

Visit site
I had a good visit anyway.
Didn't spend much, but attended the RYA active marina Radar workshop - very useful, saw a Southerly 420 very impressed - lift keel and loads of headroom. (I must do the lottery.) Saw lots of german made yachts that were 'interesting'. Talked poo to the Jabsco man. Looked at a waeco fridge (looking's the first step....)
Generally got loads of ideas and looked at stuff in the flesh
Only let down was lunch - expensive and v. bad

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
Comparing with a few years ago pre crunch then it is a bit of a let down, but compared with last year a great improvement, so hopefully on the way back up. Do me a favour & dont try & talk it down, it does nobody any good, & IMHO is somewhat inacurate.

I don't think I did talk it down, the facts speak for themselves, and I am free to express my own personal experience. Boat show numbers have been decreasing at Excel way before the 'crunch' each year. Ever since the move from Earls Court.

Here are some figures from wikipedia. IIRC figures for those actually buying tickets are lower than those quoted here. The last year or so would preseumably have included people going to see the bike show as well.

2002 154,211 ABC audited
2003 145,845 ABC audited Last year at Earl's Court
2004 213,801 ABC audited First year at ExCeL
2005 154,041 ABC audited
2006 140,000 [1] (unaudited)
2007 130,000 National Boat Shows press release, 14 January 2007 (unaudited)
2008 127,251 ABC audited
2009 112,000 National Boat Shows press release, 18 January 2009 (unaudited)
2010 102,655 National Boat Shows press release, 17 January 2010 (unaudited)
2011 109,778 National Boat Shows press release, 17 January 2011 (unaudited)
2012 102,841

I don't think there is much about my post that is somewhat inaccurate. Does my post do anyone any good? Well we have freedom of speech and it is useful for those thinking of going and spending maybe £150 on taking a family out to hear others views. People might expect to see all of the available boats in the marketplace at the show. I think it is fair to comment on that, and make a comparison to earlier shows when there were many many more exhibitors and boats on display - with ticket prices being similar.

Anyway, why is it doing you a favour not to comment honestly on how I experienced the show.

Paddingtonbear

Visit site
Surely the issue about LIBS, much discussed over many and various threads is one of marketing. LIBS is aimed at Essex wide boys, up market chavs, plastic gangsters, racing car drivers and minor actors who are the only ones who can afford the million pounds plus that the 'boats' on show cost. It is also true that this client base do not like hard work and therefore don't like sailing in any shape or form which is why sailing boats are not a high priority. Perhaps LIBS is sucessful for a very narrow market, at least going by the comments on this and other forums. And yes I do have a non sailing boat :)

ChattingLil

Visit site
Surely the issue about LIBS, much discussed over many and various threads is one of marketing. LIBS is aimed at Essex wide boys, up market chavs, plastic gangsters, racing car drivers and minor actors who are the only ones who can afford the million pounds plus that the 'boats' on show cost. It is also true that this client base do not like hard work and therefore don't like sailing in any shape or form which is why sailing boats are not a high priority. Perhaps LIBS is sucessful for a very narrow market, at least going by the comments on this and other forums. And yes I do have a non sailing boat :)

lol! Sounds like an exact description of the average East Coast forumite that I've met! :D