Log transducer repair

Sniper

Visit site
My old Stowe micro 210 log has given good service for many years but has now developed a very irritating fault. It appears that one or more of the wires which protrude from the transducer have broken as it will only give a reading intermittently and then only when I wiggle the wires around a bit. It works for a few seconds then stops. The head is fine, the paddle wheel turns so it goes against the grain to replace it for something so apparently simple. My inclination is to get stuck in and attempt to disassemble and repair the transducer but it looks as if it is a sealed unit. I’ve nothing to lose by trying, but I have no idea what I am likely to find inside. Has anyone any experience of taking such a thing apart?

(before anyone suggests it, Stowe Marine no longer manufacture replacement transducers)

penfold

Visit site
Probably a hall effect sensor of some description.
My old Stowe micro 210 log has given good service for many years but has now developed a very irritating fault. It appears that one or more of the wires which protrude from the transducer have broken as it will only give a reading intermittently and then only when I wiggle the wires around a bit. It works for a few seconds then stops. The head is fine, the paddle wheel turns so it goes against the grain to replace it for something so apparently simple. My inclination is to get stuck in and attempt to disassemble and repair the transducer but it looks as if it is a sealed unit. I’ve nothing to lose by trying, but I have no idea what I am likely to find inside. Has anyone any experience of taking such a thing apart?

(before anyone suggests it, Stowe Marine no longer manufacture replacement transducers)

pvb

Visit site

As you say, you've nothing to lose by trying. It has a Hall effect sensor potted in some sort of resin. You may be able to dig enough resin out from around the cable to enable you to access the wires and solder on to them, then cover with epoxy resin to hold the cable firmly.

Refueler

Visit site
If wiggling the wires outside the body of the transducer - then the break is likely at exit of the body or where you have had a sharp change of wire direction. When 'wiggling' each wire - look carefully to see if insulation shows any sign of break inside ..

I would personally carefully grind away around the wire exit to expose more wire into the body ... once done - wiggle each to see if you can feel a break point ... sometimes you can see the insulation move more where the break is. If so - then slit the insulation and peel back .. then solder the break ... put insulation back and one round of tape. Check works by wiggling ... if all ok - then using anything like tissue pack the back of the area you ground out and fill over with resin. The tissue just creates a dam to stop you needing so much resin !

Thinking about Log ... mine has developed the crack along body that luckily when installed - the hull tube closes it up and does not leak. I do think about getting the MEK out and a couple of jubilee clips ...
For those interested in such a temporary repair ... the jubilee clips close the crack .. after painting MEK solvent into the crack ... once closed up - paint another film of MEK and let it set. If necessary sand smooth and refit.
(I do have another Log unit ... but its a pain to re-route the cable !).

Sniper

Visit site
Thanks all for the advice. It was confirmation that the sensor was stuck into resin that I was after. I’ll have a dig around and hopefully the break is fairly close to the surface. I suspect it has been trodden on somehow.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site

If you can by any chance strip back the outer sheathing on the cable from the transducer and get to the individual wires. You may be able to gently pull each wire in turn and see if the insulation on any of them stretches slightly. That is where the break will be. You don't say how close to the unit you are wiggling, I assume it is close to the cable exit from the unit.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have finally got rid of my Stowe kit, sadly they did not keep up with the times. A couple of items are listed in the for sale sub forum if you want some spares.