Lofting lines wanted for oyster smack

Shearwater

Visit site
I have built scale half hulls of a couple of classics but now want to do a Colchester oyster smack, similar to the extant Katie (CK 52 from memory). Can anyone suggest where I can download fairly accurate lines which I can use in the sandwich system of building down from bulwarks to keel plate in 3mm sheets. (Target of finished hull is 300mm)

Keith 66

Visit site
The Science museum have a surpring number of boat plans copies of which could be purchased, Im pretty sure there was a Smack or two amongst them.

dombuckley

Visit site
There's a set of lines drawn by Maxwell Blake reproduced in the Chatham Directory of Inshore Craft by Basil Greenhill

14K478

Visit site
There's a set of lines drawn by Maxwell Blake reproduced in the Chatham Directory of Inshore Craft by Basil Greenhill
That or his drawings in the Science Museum. Blake thought that the traditional types would disappear so he did a series of articles in the Yachting Monthly in the Thirties - he must have put a tremendous amount of work into this - and the original drawings are in the Science Museum.

PeterV

Visit site
The book Inshore Craft by Basil Greenhill and Julian Mannering includes a lot of material from the Maritime museum in Greenwich. It includes the lines of a
Colchester 18 ton smack by Maxwells Blake, a 36’ Oyster Dredgerand a Harwich Bawley.

Black Diamond

Visit site
In the late 80s, I had what the classic car community would call a barn find, when I uncovered a Tollesbury smack deep in the Forest of Dean, Harriet Blanche. She was what Mouse Green would have described as being ‘in a bit of a muddle’, way beyond my budget, but I clearly remember that her lines were recorded at the Science Museum. I mention it as she is also a 36 footer.

Fortunately, she was rescued a few years later and sat on the quay at Hollowshore (there’s a picture on the CSPS) before a premier league rebuild and is now back in her home in Brightlingsea, I believe.