Liverpool

savageseadog

Visit site
Unless you can do more than 10 knots you will need to go up river with the tide. Start the Queen's channel 2-3 hours before high tide. There is a very strong current across the marina entrance so make sure you stay up tide as you approach. Have some decent warps and fenders on because the lock can be very turbulent.
It's possible to anchor outside the lock (but not in the way) in reasonable weather to wait for the lock HW plus minus 2 hours

Last edited:

Skylark

Visit site
I've entered the river less than half a dozen times so I have no "local knowledge" and stick to the chart and pilot books. I've entered at night and during the day. The channel is exceeding well buoyed and fairly straight forward to transit. In a sailing boat, you can only go with the tide.

There are some classic views to enjoy. Keep in mind that it's an active commercial port so keep vhf monitoring, keep a good lookout and keep out of their way!

It's a good 2 hours (can't recall exactly) from the bar buoy to the marina. Plan arrival accordingly.

I concur that outside HW slack, the water runs like the proverbial outside the marina lock gates.

I hope all goes well, safe passage.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
If it's NW'ly when you leave, be prepared for an interesting ride, the river is exposed to the NW & the strong ebb kicks up short, steep seas against a gale. I doubt the currents run as high as 10kts, I'd expect 5-6 max, but I've been away 20 years, maybe the river has picked up speed? :D

savageseadog

Visit site
.......... I doubt the currents run as high as 10kts, I'd expect 5-6 max, but I've been away 20 years, maybe the river has picked up speed? :D

The tide doesn't run at ten knots but the trip in could take ages against the tide. Off the top of my head it's about 15 miles from the bar light to the marina so unless your're making more than three or four knots over the ground it will take forever.

D

DogWatch

Mersey radio ch12, call them as you pass the bar or Q1 (the bar is not really necessary for a small boat). They will inform you of traffic movements and will also allow the big stuff to know you are likely to be in the channel.

Don't consider cutting the Queens channel because you don't draft all that much, the channel is built using a training wall which is often awash at low water.

If you arrive early it should be possible to pick up a small boat mooring at Wallasey or Tranmere while you wait for entry.

The marina entrance is in-line with the river so you don't see the gates until you make your approach turn, you may find a pass first for a look-see useful or follow another boat in if any are about.

Liverpool-Marina-lock.jpg

I thought I had a better river-side image of the lock entrance, this is the best I can do, but it does show the office on the Quay.

I don't know if things have changed, but last time we went in the lock and marina was a different company and they wouldn't let us into the marina unless we went up to the office there and then to pay the lock fee (as a visitor), so be sure to either call and find out or ensure you have means to pay on arrival.

savageseadog

Visit site
To echo an earlier reply, don't go out of the channel, not even a little bit because the training wall is very close to the buoys. At night in particular it's very easy to skip a mark or two going round the corner. The buoys are quite close together and it's easy to look at what you think is the next one which isn't.

mlthomas

www.yachtconosur.com
Thanks for the posts, especially the pic - never thought of that in a post to help with navigation. Clearly very tidal dependant and we would have to plan the sail from whitehaven taking account of all tides through the passage. need to be at the bar (or waiting at) three hours before HT to allow a bit of wriggle room if I am reading this right.

Last edited: