Licence in spain

kashurst

Visit site
Yes you do. You will need an ICC or a day skipper with an ICC attached. I beileve you also need a valid radio operators license.
The boat will also need bill(s) of sale and suitable insurance.
If you are Spanish or a Spanish resident that changes things and you may need a Spanish skippers licence if the boat is Spanish registered

Portofino

Visit site
Check out the RYA for a definitive answer “ if the ICC is all I need right “ .

Get EU Spanish qualifications use your EU citizenship. Why not ?

Comity
Its currently over looked at the mo in the EU , but your ( what ever flagged boat ) stays effectively permanently, more than 6 months then by the book they can now insist you follow local rules , so no change per se after 1/1/21 , just a question if a cattle prod from Brussels comes down forcing the Sp FR or what ever to apply it .

You can see why waaaaay back in 2005 I did the French permit d Mer .Already had the RYA tickets btw , this was as well as ,not instead of - because at the time the boat is / was not transient in the Cote d Azur .
The rag on the stern stuck to a pole is irrelevant.

This “ British flag = British rules “ , or in this case Polish debate regularly crops up. I think you need to read Uncloss 11 and other international agreements. The coastal State can impose whatever conditions it wants on vessels NOT on innocent passage. Portugal for instance requires pleasure craft there for more that 6 months to carry the same safety equipment as Portuguese registered ones although unlike a few years ago Portugal where foreign flagged boats that are deemed resident are required to comply with local rules on equipment. New Zealand also applies local rules to foreign boats that are resident, although like Portugal it exempts genuine visitors or boats on "innocent passage".

Innocent passage is an important concept in international law as that is when coastal states apply the principle of "comity" and respect the state flags rules. However once a boat starts cruising within the waters of the coastal state, and that time exceeds 6 months then “innocent passage “no longer applies and with it comity, although in practice most states do extend comity, at least for private leisure craft. That’s the current position within the Med.

Portofino

Visit site
If you are based in Spain with a marina berth and insurance docs with that address etc etc it’s looks like you are not on “Innocent passage “ .

If it’s large grey , with a trunk and flappy ears ….looks like an elephant then re labelling it calling it a mouse might not work imho .

Don’t mix up VAT TI rules here . Briefly if you are VAT not paid leave the EU after 18 months and return it resets the clock .Rules don’t spec a min time or max time for that matter .Until they do , one day ( with acceptable proof ) seems to work thus far .As nothing has changed no one’s paid any VAT on the boat it’s returned as it left doesn’t matter if it went to New Zealand for 6 months or Tunisia for a day . They are not changing anything in between .No ones challenging anything .

What qualifications have got now ? Can’t you get an EU boaty licence from from your “citizen “ state ?
Then sleep a bit better in the knowledge most EU states ( like driving licences ) have reciprocity .plus as I said most inc Sp aren’t looking too deep yet into the validity of the ICC by those permanently based in the EU .

That’s why the RYA blurb ( from a U.K. citizens perspective- obviously) on the ICC is opaque on this .

attard

Visit site
I would pop from marina to another. I have day skipper rya I don't have nautical licence because I am colorblind and would get a restriction but in malta I talked with tm and they said that boats under 30hp are free of licence obligation. Thanks portofino.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I think there's been some confusion here.

'Attard' is a very common Maltese name so I assume that the OP is Maltese and not British. Therefore, I would suggest that he needs the Maltese equivalent of our ICC if he wishes to drive a boat in Spain (or any country).

Hurricane

Visit site
I think there's been some confusion here.

'Attard' is a very common Maltese name so I assume that the OP is Maltese and not British. Therefore, I would suggest that he needs the Maltese equivalent of our ICC if he wishes to drive a boat in Spain (or any country).
I might be wrong, Pete, but I think the arrangements are different in Spain. IIRC the UK was given special permission by the Spanish authorities to allow us Brits to use our ICCs. I guess that the RYA didn't see it that way though but thats what my marina manager told me. My conversation with our Spanish marina manager happened after Brexit so it is also something to do with being non European.
Anyway, I'm sure that the rules will be different in Spain for a European non Spanish resident.

Alicatt

Visit site
When speaking with the Vlaamse Waterweg, the government body that looks after boaty things in Belgium, they said that my ICC with CEVNI from the RYA covers me for driving a boat on the inland waterways and on the sea even though I am a resident of Belgium, my Belgian wife who did the same course is not covered for Belgium but she can use it in Holland and Germany, our boat does not need a licence to drive it being under 15m and with a top speed of less than 20km/h so having a licence for it is moot.

In The Netherlands, if you don't own the boat you can drive one up to 15m and has a top speed of less than 20km/h, but if you do own the boat then you need a licence.

For VHF the Short Range Certificate from the RYA also covers me for use in the EU, I did contact BIPT (Belgian Telecoms authority) to ask about that too.