Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Bearing in mind that I have sailed - note: sailed- from Bradwell creek by the pole at the entrance to south shelf buoy in 3 hours 30 mins (I have done it twice to Languard Buoy ) I do not think that is all that quick.
I am sure others have done it a lot quicker.

We were not out to break any records, as I said we generally only did 22 knots we could have easily done 28 most of the way but that just ups the fuel burn and also that is not as pleasant a speed to travel at. I actually mention this in the video with a shot of the Ipad running Navionics (which is an excellent system by the way and cheap if you already have a tablet)

johnalison

Visit site
That's a fast passage. I came down from Heybridge Basin to the Pyfleet today in 2hrs 10mins and am chuffed to bits, though not very dry.

Not bad. I don't think that I ever beat my time of 2hrs from Heybridge to E Mersea Stone in our then Westerly Cirrus 22' in about 1973. It had been blowing F9 but George Clark told us that it had swung to the NW and we were bound to be OK.

Daydream believer

Visit site
That's good. Using one of my tables, between the Blackwater Wpt to the Harwich Wpt, quickest time @ 5 knots average @ Spring Tides is 3hrs 15 minutes (starting at HW Sheerness is the quickest start time from the Wpt) (2 hrs 48 minutes at 6 kts). You went further 2.14nm - reckon you averaged 6kts? PDG.

You forgot the 20+ Kts of wind up the chuff in those calcs

But now you have me worried- You are saying that I should have done it in 3-15.
Dammit, I will have to wait until the boat gets put back in the water next season & try again. I will be worrying all winter as to how to find that extra 15 mins !!!!!!! :ambivalence:
Could we make this an East coast challenge-- a bit like beating the Stig?

Last edited:

tillergirl

Visit site
You are saying that I should have done it in 3-15.

No, no, no, 'tis nothing more than a point of reference. You did better! HW Sheerness timing gives the 'mathematically' quickest benefit of the tide for that passage so if you had started earlier or later you would have lost some of the tide benefit and so to have achieved the time of 3:30 in the greater distance you would have achieved an even better average speed. :encouragement::encouragement:

Heybridge to East Mersea Stone in 2 hours is great.

Those are two of the best 'sails' I have had - one done from Heybridge in a strong NW - lovely (mind you the thunderstorm that hit us as we tried to drop sails in Mersea Quarters was a bit... er exciting [and bl**dy painful - big chunks of ice] and two great sails along the Tendring coast, once close winded, once with the 1964 spinny. Both times the wind curved round the coast to hold what we wanted. Joyful. There is nothing, nothing at all, better than achieving the boat effortlessly at hull speed. Mais au contraire dans le Manche vent sur marie avec une bateau bois et total inexperience unable to reef further and slow the boat. SWMBO issued the clear instructions "Get this side of the boat OUT OF THE WATER NOW!":(