LED battery operated lamps

NFCN

Visit site
I'm after some simple LED lights to illuminate the galley and saloon - easy to fix on, no wiring involved, battery operated. Mainly white but a couple will need to be red for when underway.

Has anyone bought and installed such things recently, and can they point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Nick

RobBrown

Visit site
I saw some some single (white) LED stick up battery lights for sale in local branch of Robert Dyas a few weeks ago I think £6.99 each- I almost bought a couple and now wish I had, as had all gone when I last looked.

landlockedpirate

Visit site
I bought these from QVC (I saw them while flicking through the channels- honest!!)

You can get cheaper ones, but these have been excellent and to make them red I have covered a couple with a piece of lighting film.

Mark

machurley22

Visit site
IKEA. They're not shown online so I can't give you a link but your local store will have circular battery operated clusters of four LEDs in various fetching colours including white (although it's a blue rather than warm white) and red.

gjgm

Visit site
re- the white leds .. think Robesrt Dyas are doing 2 for £8-9? or so... but to warn you, its a bloody horrible colour light.No warming yellow hue.. more the setting for a horror flic- but thats LEDs for you.

Alfie168

Visit site
I've just been and bought some Osram Dot-it lamps at B&Q..but they took some finding as they were not at the front desk, and nowhere near the other lighting.

The good news is that they were selling at £4-98 each, and if you bought five of the same colourway you paid £20..so £4 each for the numerically challenged like me.

So I bought five..or was it four and get one nearly free...(answers on one side of the paper only)

Tim

VicMallows

Visit site
NETTO had some a couple of weeks ago. 24 LEDs working off 3 AA cells, round about 6inch diameter. All are white, but centre 4 can be switched seperately so could easily be colored. The whole thing gives plenty of light. £4.99. Keep a watch-may come in again.

Unfortunately, I got one perfect one, but one with a few sub-standard LEDs.

Vic

RobBrown

Visit site
Colouring leds - I've been told thinned nail varnish works well.

(Wouldn't use mine obviously, just the wife's /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

NFCN

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your advice. I can confirm that the Osram Dot It LEDs are excellent (I got mine from QVC - thanks Landlockedpirate) and intend to stick about 10 around the place. They are best put shining downwards under shelves etc, above the sink, cooker, heads, chart table etc. Good for when electricity is low and for emergencies, and cheap to boot (£20 for 4).

Nick

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Osram Dot It LEDs are excellent

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought 5 for £20 from B & Q, but when I opened one, it seemed that once it's stuck, you either couldnt change the battery, or would need a new way of sticking it again - or am I missing something?

wiggy

Visit site
I stuck mine to a thin bit of ply (with tape fitted) with holes drilled to access rear fixing screws, this was slightly larger than base of light. This ply was then screwed up to deckhead.

thalassa

www.wv-saeftinghe.nl
Computer parts shops are sometimes a good source for cheap non-white 12 V DC LED lighting, as they have odd forms and colours for "case-modding" purposes.

NFCN

Visit site
I've stuck mine using the adhesive which came with them. Should I need to change the batteries, or if they fall off, I'll simply use velcro. One of the most useful things I've bought for my yacht is that roll of heavy duty velcro tape...

Nick