Leaving boat unattended Nidri

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Offen I read here and other sailing forum advise given that is safe to leave a boat unattended while return back to home country for some weeks or even to be left over winter in Nidri very bad advise in my view,
Once again a boat has been removed from it mooring, although the report this time is that the owner was still around.
Although most owners pay someone to keep an eye on these boats there are long periods of times when no one are checking these boats.
If you valve your boat don't leave it at anchor or on one of the town quay or pontoon in the bay.
Haul it out or put it in a marina what ever the cost.

AndrewB

Visit site
Source of information?

Tranquil Bay is a source of disputes. Round the edge are many loosely moored broken-down permanent live-aboard yachts. I have been witness to squabbles among their owners. As well, a couple of pay-for moorings were laid last season by IBA right in the middle of the anchorage, which have caused resentment at what seems like a stealth take-over of a free facility.

In either case it would not surprise me to hear that yachts had been set loose.

Last edited:

Bobc

Visit site
It was a Bavaria 50, not an old broken-down boat. It was stolen while the owners were ashore.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
We were travelling to our boat in the Spring about 10 years ago and got talking to another couple who were on their way to Greece to spend some time on their boat. I asked where they kept it and they said that it was moored against the town quay, although I can't remember which town. I asked how much they had to pay and they said that it was totally free and the boat just sat there for the 6 months over winter.

As I'm paying 10 grand a year, I still feel somewhat disadvantaged. :ambivalence:

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Source of information?

Tranquil Bay is a source of disputes. Round the edge are many loosely moored broken-down permanent live-aboard yachts. I have been witness to squabbles among their owners. Moreover, a couple of pay-for moorings were laid last season by IBA right in the middle of the anchorage. These have caused resentment at what seems like a stealth take-over of a free facility. In either case it would not surprise me to hear that yachts had been set loose.

Has Bobc said a Bavaria .
Lefkas seen to be having a few problems with boats being removed , two from the marina last year.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We were travelling to our boat in the Spring about 10 years ago and got talking to another couple who were on their way to Greece to spend some time on their boat. I asked where they kept it and they said that it was moored against the town quay, although I can't remember which town. I asked how much they had to pay and they said that it was totally free and the boat just sat there for the 6 months over winter.

As I'm paying 10 grand a year, I still feel somewhat disadvantaged. :ambivalence:

Richard

10k , really Richard , I suppose being a cat don't help , marry Christmas by the way to you both .

Visit site

Richard

You wouldn't feel disadvantaged if you'd seen of the boats on the quays with smashed up sterns. Nor if you'd seen some the half sunken and other messes in Nidri. Nor the constant wind rain from the south during the winter. In the winter the whole area is a misery.

In Spring / Summer you pay for some of the town quays. Price varies but you get effectively pay double at times because it runs from midnight to midnight. A lot of chargers run to the town quays during bad weather. This isn't a good idea, since nearly all are open to bad weather from the south anchors are set on short scopes and the boats drag into the dock. Alongside is wore. Better to get into a marina, or in the summer anchor out.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Boat was removed from pontoon at Iris hotel. Owner was not in Nidri I believe not in Greece.

That's be not what I understand , Reported the owner was on the the boat the night before it was taken , now if what was written was a load of cobless To satisfy insurance claim is any thing.
Iris hotel use to be almost abandoned two years ago used in the summer by at one time sunny sailing and then sailing holidays for a while, if I had to leave a boat it would be on IBA pontoon at less there someone there every day.
But has said any one who valve his boat would put it in the marina over winter or on land .

( Dear all,

My fathers boat and his home in Greece; a Bavaria 50 ‘Ananke’ was stolen from Nidri, Lefkada earlier today or last night. My father had been on the boat yesterday evening and when he came back to the boat this morning the boat was disappeared from his usual berth / pontoon at Nidri. This is a very special Bavaria 50 and my father has spent thousand of hours working on it.)

Last edited:

grumpygit

Visit site

Richard

I very much doubt this scenario, but if your insurance covers this and brave enough to leave your boat unattended and also have total disregard for your property, you can tie up for free (except for the new cruising tax) on many town quays in Greece.
With the fees now being collected by the Municipality, their collectors in a lot of cases are seasonal so there is no one to collect for circa six months.
Even though 10k does seem excessive even for a big cat, at least you can sleep without this worry.

Bobc

Visit site
Found in Santa Maria, half submerged and bashing itself to pieces on the rocks.

Very sad.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Last edited:

Bobc

Visit site
I suspect they were all picked up in Turkey. I guess at least nobody died.

I feel very sorry for the owners of the boat though. It will be hard to come to terms with.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I suspect they were all picked up in Turkey. I guess at least nobody died.

I feel very sorry for the owners of the boat though. It will be hard to come to terms with.

I also feel very sorry for the owner , no one should have their beloved boat stolen and then wrecked.
But the reality is many people do just what this owner do and leave they boats at anchor or on a town quay over the winter months thinking wrongly that paying someone to keep an eye on it will be find,
It wasn't so long ago some one here was asking about doing just that although it was only for some weeks in the summer and a few here suggested it be find in and around Nidri and as we just seen it's not.

Some how I can't imagine the boat being stolen in Lefkas taken all the way to Turkey just to sail it back it Italy, most likely I would think the people where picked up locally or not too far away .

OldBawley

Visit site
I have passed 20 Med winters on anchor and have seen some storms. During all those bad times I never ever witnessed other yachts on moorings or quayside's to be guarded. The guy you pay to watch your yacht will only appear when the shit is over. I can somewhat understand that, they usually have ribs or smaller dinghy´s, don´t want to end up in the water.
Have seen a big rib with 3 people in it turn over during a force 10 in Göchek Turkey. Anyway, once the storm gets going, there is not a lot you can do. Preparation is the most important and those guys are not sailors, have no knowledge.
I witnessed a yacht moored to an engine block in the little harbour of Analipsi on Astypalaia drifting. Just took the mooring with him. Some guys, probably fishermen came to its rescue. They took a rope from the bow and towed the yacht to the quay. During the night the rollerfurler opened the genua because those fishermen had used the furler rope and not secured it later. The yacht ended up very badly damaged riding out a stormy night against a rough quay, ( holed ) and lost the headsail.
We ware on the town quay in Levkas during a storm. I had two anchors out, main perpendicular to the quay and a huge Fortress 45° to windward. Two yachts to windward of me soon ware heavily leaning onto our ( varnished ) boat and bumping their sterns to the quay.
With our solid dinghy I tried re- laying the anchor of the boat next to us but when I saw what toy of an anchor that yacht had I gave up.
Went to the Port Police where they told me those yachts ware not their concern, I had to contact the guy in charge of guardienage. Claimed they did not know who that was or how to contact him witch I doubted.
Fed up with the situation I left the quay after witch both yachts ended up longside the quay wall, one on top of the other. We just stayed one boat length from the quay.
Following morning the boat against the quay had a 3 feet hole in its side. And then the guy responsible for a lot of the boats there turned up.
Where I stay this winter the guy laying and selling moorings knows what he is doing. He has the biggest strongest boat of the town, is known for his rescue ability and for his salvage bills.
This winter his boat stands on the hard.

Ocean Safari

Visit site
Owner does live in Nidri but not on boat.
Boat was removed from Nidri pontoon and two days later
foundered in Italy as immigrants were removed, don’t know why she was left or if she has been removed.
I was in Iris but saw nothing.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Owner does live in Nidri but not on boat.
Boat was removed from Nidri pontoon and two days later
foundered in Italy as immigrants were removed, don’t know why she was left or if she has been removed.
I was in Iris but saw nothing.

If what you say is correct then they couldn't had sailed to Turkey and end up in Italy in two days , as I said earlier the people transfer must had been in Greece .

OldBawley

Visit site
About 4 or 5 years ago I was anchored in the Poros sea lake on the Galata side. Next to me was a brand new 50 feet sailing yacht on a new mooring. Norwegian flag. Some days before Christmas I noticed the yacht was gone, I assumed the owner had come for a Christmas holiday sail.
I was wrong. The yacht was stolen ( I did not notice ) and taken through the North entrance to the Saronic, probably to meet with a big cargo, take illegals from the cargo and take them on land out of sight of the coast guard.
However, the owner had closed the water supply of the engine and because of that the engine overheated just outside the Poros entrance. With no engine, no sails and apparently no knowledge whatsoever the yacht drifted to the rocks west of the North entrance. The thieves tried using their outboard engine on a rope to anchor. No success. No idea why they did not use the yachts anchor.
The following day the yacht was towed out of the rocks (with a lot of power and little to no knowledge of how to free a keel stuck in the rocks.) Lots of damage on keel and rudder.
I later learned the owner had all costs refunded by his insurance company.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Things may or may not had changed , but a few years ago our friend ask his insurance company who happened to be pants would he be covered if he left the boat on , what was then Nelison pontoon for three weeks while they returned back home , they where told that the boat wouldn't be covered even tho he was paying someone to look after it .

Last edited: