Leave boat anchored offshore

Adetheheat

Visit site
Stupid question time!
Is it stupid or illegal to leave the boat anchored off a beach whilst I jump in a kayak and paddle to the shore for lunch? Thus leaving the boat unoccupied.
Thanks
Adrian

Gixer

Visit site
I know when I read a charter agreement in detail it said 'someone who is capable of handling the boat must be onboard when at anchor'. I would guess this is standard insurance requirement in some areas. I'm no expert....

Daydream believer

Visit site
Stupid question time!
Is it stupid or illegal to leave the boat anchored off a beach whilst I jump in a kayak and paddle to the shore for lunch? Thus leaving the boat unoccupied.
Thanks
Adrian
"Ilegal" suggests breaking the law of the land or a perhaps a local byelaw. That depends where one is at the time & what laws are in force

Breaching the terms of an insurance policy, is somewhat different. For that one should read the insurance documents. It may preclude certain sections of cover if left unattended. Different rules may apply.

"Stupid" depends on conditions, such as impending weather, how the craft is moored, Temporary or more permanent anchorage. Surrounding features. How long the craft is to be un attended & if arrangements have been made to advise one of any issues or attend the vessel in the skipper's absence. Others will add to that list I am sure. It is all down to a sensible risk assessment based on the experience of the skipper.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Cruising would be pretty boring if you couldn't leave the boat at anchor for the day whilst you went ashore!
You go into a marina & tie it to a pontoon berth. Far more civilised. Step ashore with ease. Crew can come & go when they want. No poncing with dinghies. Most have all the facilities. Safe & comfortable. What is not to like? :D

Stingo

Visit site
You go into a marina & tie it to a pontoon berth. Far more civilised. Step ashore with ease. Crew can come & go when they want. No poncing with dinghies. Most have all the facilities. Safe & comfortable. What is not to like? :D
The removal of a huge wad of beer tokens from your wallet.

Kelpie

Visit site
I like marinas, because they keep the anchorages quiet.
Plenty of space for everybody.

I helped a neighbour deliver his boat up the west coast a few years ago. We spent every single night in a marina, and didn't cook onboard once. It was very weird, but I wasn't paying so I didn't really mind.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com

I guess the comparison would be that marina’s can be like living on a compact housing estate in an inner city and paying large sums of money for the privilege, anchoring would be similar to owning a country estate with no neighbours for miles for free . . . . .

Daydream believer

Visit site
I bet he has a CQR.....
Of course. It has a bar across the front & it is there to use as a step to help climb aboard over the bow when moored bows on to a pontoon. Do not get that with a Rocnor, et alia :rolleyes:
Why else would one have an anchor on the bow? :rolleyes:
Other than as a ram for banging into other boats when manouvering, of course :cry:

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I seem to remember the IMO guidance about a continuous anchor navigational watch (there is also engine watch, radio watch, etc) ex Rule 5, basically someone on board, has the wording "If the Master deems it necessary". It seems to conform to what happens in the real world.

geem

Visit site
Paying to park in Sainsburys car park is not my idea of fun. Listening to screaming brats, dogs barking, couples having a domestic, drunks coming back from the bar in the ewrly hours. Give me the peace and quiet of an anchorage any time and a decent dinghy to get ashore

Last edited: