Leave boat anchored offshore

SimonKNZ

Visit site
If you want a little extra peace of mind while ashore, using an app such as Anchor Pro will send you an alert if the boat drags outside a preset area. You can also send a message to the app to make it report status (distance and bearing to anchor)

William_H

Visit site
The answer to the OP question is totally variable depending on conditions etc. Now on the one extreme my little boat sits on a swing mooring for 7 months of the year with for forty years with no one on board. Now the mooring is fairly reliable and robust. Probably more reliable than a just set anchor but even then not necessarily so. Good anchor set well might be more reliable than a mooring using a well worn chain and shackles. As said I think mostly depending on weather you should be ok to leave it alone on anchor. But I am sure you will worry more than actual danger. ol'will

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Of course. It has a bar across the front & it is there to use as a step to help climb aboard over the bow when moored bows on to a pontoon. Do not get that with a Rocnor, et alia :rolleyes:
Why else would one have an anchor on the bow? :rolleyes:
Other than as a ram for banging into other boats when manouvering, of course :cry:
By doing properly, going stern to and using a passarelle.

V1701

Visit site
When I had a boat in Greece it was most of the time easier & less stressful to anchor & dinghy in rather than med mooring on town quays. Being on board at anchor was much quieter & more pleasant, of course horses for courses...

srm

Visit site
By doing properly, going stern to and using a passarelle.
I prefer choosing a sheltered spot where the wind blows off the land, running a shore line to a tree or rock or bollard and setting a stern anchor to reduce swinging. Normal practice in Scandinavian anchorages and also in some harbours where boats moor bows to the quay. Get it right and you can step ashore from the bow, which is why so many Scandinavian built boats have an opening in the pulpit.

Have also used this method in Scottish anchorages in severe weather if sufficient depth close to the shore.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
This reminds me of the tale told me by someone years ago. He'd been sailing along the south coast of England, it was very foggy and he'd anchored off some beach resort. He needed to get ashore for supplies or some such, so got in his dinghy and rowed towards the beach. To his surprise, he found that he emerged from the fog as he neared the beached, which was, er, bathed in sunshine, and busy with people. It was probably more surprising for those on the beach, who saw him emerging from the fog, seemingly having rowed from France!

Daydream believer

Visit site
What on earth is the point of being stuck right out there? take best part of day to do the following:- Pump the dinghy, row/motor ashore, Get to civilisation, to get water etc. Tramp back to the dinghy & outboard (if it is still there!) Row/motor back to the boat, then hoist outboard aboard, deflate the dinghy. Nowhere to get a decent shower, if insufficient water on board, so smelling like a sweaty tramp after all that effort. Then spend the rest of the time puking up, as the boat rolls about. :eek:
Pointless :cry:

Last edited:

FWB

N/A
Visit site
What on earth is the point of being stuck right out there? take all day to pump the dinghy, row ashore, Get to civilisation, to get water etc. Tramp back to the dinghy (if it is still there!) Row back to the boat, then deflate the dinghy. No where to get a decent shower, if insufficient water on board, so smelling like a tramp after all that effort. Then spend the rest of the time puking up, as the boat rolls about. :eek:
Pointless :cry:
It’s just across the way from my mooring. A short walk to Miss Vs cafe at the wonderful St Just Church and a pleasant walk to St Mawes for supplies. Lovely and peaceful. Rigid dinghy. image-02-06-23-03-28.jpeg

penfold

Visit site
Of course. It has a bar across the front & it is there to use as a step to help climb aboard over the bow when moored bows on to a pontoon. Do not get that with a Rocnor, et alia :rolleyes:
Why else would one have an anchor on the bow? :rolleyes:
Other than as a ram for banging into other boats when manouvering, of course :cry:
I assumed they're there so you can trepan yourself walking along the pontoon. 🤪 DIY brain surgery to relieve endemic boatiness.

Quiddle

Visit site
You go into a marina & tie it to a pontoon berth. Far more civilised. Step ashore with ease. Crew can come & go when they want. No poncing with dinghies. Most have all the facilities. Safe & comfortable. What is not to like? :D

Not so easy, when one has an Aries self steering on the stern, A closed transom & backstays etc that prevent stern access.
Aries self-steering! You pay a man to helm and navigate. Far more civilised. Stay below with ease. Crew can eat, drink and sleep when they want. No poncing with lines and winches. Safe & comfortable. What is not to like?

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
It’s just across the way from my mooring. A short walk to Miss Vs cafe at the wonderful St Just Church and a pleasant walk to St Mawes for supplies. Lovely and peaceful. Rigid dinghy.
That must be a 6 mile hike at least . I would not call that a pleasant walk, for a loaf of bread & a pint of milk.:rolleyes: No wonder you need to eat out in a cafe. Can you not find a marina with a shop & a cafe in house? That way you could spend the day lounging in the cockpit with a beer. Then go & get something to eat when hungry. Much more civilised. No plodding about for 6 miles lugging a Tesco for life bag, in boots or wet feet either:confused:
At least in the marina you can get a shower, if you must do sweaty treks:unsure:

FWB

N/A
Visit site
That must be a 6 mile hike at least . I would not call that a pleasant walk, for a loaf of bread & a pint of milk.:rolleyes: No wonder you need to eat out in a cafe. Can you not find a marina with a shop & a cafe in house? That way you could spend the day lounging in the cockpit with a beer. Then go & get something to eat when hungry. Much more civilised. No plodding about for 6 miles lugging a Tesco for life bag, in boots or wet feet either:confused:
At least in the marina you can get a shower, if you must do sweaty treks:unsure:
I don’t understand your post. The OP asked if it was ok to go ashore with the boat left at anchor. I keep my boat at Mylor where there are showers, a café, a wine bar, a chandlery and maintenance teams. The spot in the photo is directly opposite Mylor. The two mile walk to St Mawes is indeed a very enjoyable one. I often anchor in the Helford where I can dinghy ashore to a beach or the Sailing club for showers, food etc.
I guess your idea of going from marina to marina suits you, I prefer to “lounge in the cockpit with a beer” in peaceful surroundings. You should buy a static caravan instead of a boat perhaps.