Leave boat anchored offshore

geem

Visit site
What on earth is the point of being stuck right out there? take best part of day to do the following:- Pump the dinghy, row/motor ashore, Get to civilisation, to get water etc. Tramp back to the dinghy & outboard (if it is still there!) Row/motor back to the boat, then hoist outboard aboard, deflate the dinghy. Nowhere to get a decent shower, if insufficient water on board, so smelling like a sweaty tramp after all that effort. Then spend the rest of the time puking up, as the boat rolls about. :eek:
Pointless :cry:
That post says more about you than the OP

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I don’t understand your post. The OP asked if it was ok to go ashore with the boat left at anchor. I keep my boat at Mylor where there are showers, a café, a wine bar, a chandlery and maintenance teams. The spot in the photo is directly opposite Mylor. The two mile walk to St Mawes is indeed a very enjoyable one. I often anchor in the Helford where I can dinghy ashore to a beach or the Sailing club for showers, food etc.
I guess your idea of going from marina to marina suits you, I prefer to “lounge in the cockpit with a beer” in peaceful surroundings. You should buy a static caravan instead of a boat perhaps.

I don't like walking very far but dislike even more paying €50 for day/night in a marina when I can anchor for free, lower the dinghy, chuck the bikes in and be ashore within a short time. Prefer the peace on anchor or mooring, rather than marina with lots of foot traffic, noisy children and dogs.

Minerva

Visit site
What on earth is the point of being stuck right out there? take best part of day to do the following:- Pump the dinghy, row/motor ashore, Get to civilisation, to get water etc. Tramp back to the dinghy & outboard (if it is still there!) Row/motor back to the boat, then hoist outboard aboard, deflate the dinghy. Nowhere to get a decent shower, if insufficient water on board, so smelling like a sweaty tramp after all that effort. Then spend the rest of the time puking up, as the boat rolls about. :eek:
Pointless :cry:
Which is why of course you'd be a fool to sail outside of the Solent. Short sail to the next marina, enjoy rafting 6 boats deep to show off ones bright work. Get to have the super easywalk ashore. Chat to your fellow boaters as you queue for 45 mins for the showers late afternoon, before retiring to queue up at the bar to have a nice chilled chablis; wearing the rugger shirt, chino shorts and boat shoes of course!

Far better than getting the boat all mucky with the mud and oomska the anchor would bring up!

The Solent is the place to be!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Which is why of course you'd be a fool to sail outside of the Solent. Short sail to the next marina, enjoy rafting 6 boats deep to show off ones bright work. Get to have the super easywalk ashore. Chat to your fellow boaters as you queue for 45 mins for the showers late afternoon, before retiring to queue up at the bar to have a nice chilled chablis; wearing the rugger shirt, chino shorts and boat shoes of course!
Never been there & I would suggest your comment, along with those made by others, shows your total lack of experience of the variety of marinas available to yachtsmen. I spent the first 18 years of my sailing on the hook & found no joy in it. Most of the time I had to get off the boat due to sea sickness. Going to the Netherlands & Belgium to use their ports, at the time, was sheer bliss, in comparison. Some Uk ports are really great places to stop. Welcoming as well. But you have to set sail & actually travel about a bit beyond the IOW. Possibly a step too far for many.

KAM

Visit site
I quite often leave my boat all day whilst I go hill walking or climbing. It's part of the risk of sailing and not doing so I'd have missed some fantastic days. It's usually where I left it when I get back. Occasionally it hasn't been but I've managed to find it again.

Daydream believer

Visit site
It took you 18 years to realise you didn't like anchoring. Your a slow learner 😅
From1959 with a Silhouette moored in the Blackwater off Stone. I only sailed from there or on the broads.I kept it on a fixed mooring as there was no option. But as for plain anchoring- posibly only half a dozen times. Never overnight.

Then in 1968-78 I had a Stella. I moored on Tucker Browns moorings in the River Crouch. The Burnham Yacht harbour was not built then. I used to get sea sick on the mooring & often got in the dinghy to go for a row round to work it off. 95% of the time was club racing so back to the mooring & straight home afterwards.

As for marinas - Brightlingsea consisted of a line of poles between which one moored & then rafted along side each other. I raced there quite a few times. I did anchor a couple oftimes when away from Burnham, but not often. Probably no more than a 20 times in 10 years. (Light airs kedging in races excepted)

Cruising was to Ostend, then the Netherlands, where there was always a marina, I cannot recall ever actually cruising the east coast, (as opposed to racing) where I would have had to anchor.
So to me, anchoring has never been a necessity. I have used the anchor no more than 6 times since 2003 in my current boat. Probably no more than 30 times in my whole life. No need for it now there are marinas.

Last edited:

FWB

N/A
Visit site
D-d-believer…
Sorry to read that an experienced sailor such as yourself is prone to seasickness and is unable to enjoy the joys of resting at anchor.
However we have got to serious thread drift here.
The question was about leaving a boat unattended at anchor whilst going ashore, to which the answer was Yes.
Marinas are convenient of course but sometimes not as safe as might be expected.
This shot was taken during the Beast from the East. A couple of boats were moved to the safety of the moorings when an inner pontoon was being thrown about…… there are no piles, the pontoons are secured by rubber bands. High maintenance but visually pleasing to the Planners and a pleasant and normally safe place which is well and expensively maintained.
To return to the OP, yes it is quite normal practice to go ashore leaving one’s boat at anchor. IMG_3910.jpeg

Poignard

Visit site
Any reason we cannot enjoy both marina and anchorage as the fancy takes us?

We quite often like to make excursions inland by bus and train to visit interesting places. How much more convenient to be able to step ashore, smartly dressed, without being encumbered with dinghy gear and looking like something out of "Riddle of the Sands".

And when one returns, late at night, how pleasant to step down into the cabin, have a nightcap and turn in, listening to the distant sound of "look at me, I must be a real sailor 'cos I never go in a marina" rowing around looking for his boat.

steve yates

Visit site
D-d-believer…
Sorry to read that an experienced sailor such as yourself is prone to seasickness and is unable to enjoy the joys of resting at anchor.
However we have got to serious thread drift here.
The question was about leaving a boat unattended at anchor whilst going ashore, to which the answer was Yes.
Marinas are convenient of course but sometimes not as safe as might be expected.
This shot was taken during the Beast from the East. A couple of boats were moved to the safety of the moorings when an inner pontoon was being thrown about…… there are no piles, the pontoons are secured by rubber bands. High maintenance but visually pleasing to the Planners and a pleasant and normally safe place which is well and expensively maintained.
To return to the OP, yes it is quite normal practice to go ashore leaving one’s boat at anchor. View attachment 157837
Is thata cat with different coloured hulls?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Conversations evolve. ;)
I have to counter your point (as valid as it may be) by suggesting that more (proportionally) yachts get damaged due to dragging anchors & moorings, than get damaged in marinas. Note "proportionally"; although I have no idea if, here in the UK, the number of marina berths now match occupied open moored sites.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Conversations evolve. ;)
I have to counter your point (as valid as it may be) by suggesting that more (proportionally) yachts get damaged due to dragging anchors & moorings, than get damaged in marinas. Note "proportionally"; although I have no idea if, here in the UK, the number of marina berths now match occupied open moored sites.
That’s an interesting and thought provoking suggestion.
The problem with storms and a marina is that lots of boats can get damaged very quickly. A yacht that drags in heavy weather doesn’t necessarily get damaged.
I wonder what the statistics are.