Leak from impeller on Volvo Penta MD22?

scottie

Visit site
Most impeller pumps have tell tale holes on the body to allow any water leaking past the seal to escape & display leak.
Most likely shaft seal leaking .

alan

Visit site
Leaking Impeller

There have been a load of discussions about this over the last years and if you search this forum you will find very detailed instructions on how to change the shaft seal.
Yes, it's very easy to do and the seal costs about 4 euros or so.

Alan.

Heckler

Visit site
Undo the two bolts in the pic and the hoses, take the pump off, undo the nut on the impellor, and take it all apart, the bearings and seal, you can get from a motor factor or bearing factor for peanuts.
stu

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
and then take the shaft to a engineering shop and have them make one out of real metal, it will cost less than the putty one from volvo.
I know what you are saying but that one in the pic is 12 years old and still going strong!
Stu

nigel1

Visit site
Assume your water pump is belt driven, if so, no danger iof water getting into the oil side.
As other have said, changing the seal and the two bearings is easy.
Cleghorn will supply the correct ones, and when I replaced mine earlier this year, they were cheaper than my local bearing supplier.
Check the shaft for wear where the seal sits, and use a very fine emery/polishing paper to smooth it down.
If its badly scored it will need a replacement, dont know how much a machinist will charge to make a new shaft, but from Cleghorn, the cost is £80'

So far as I am aware, Volvo do not make the cooling pump or the shaft, its a Jabsco pump which just happens to have VOLVO scratched into the front plate

VicS

Visit site
Assume your water pump is belt driven, if so, no danger iof water getting into the oil side.
If you are right it needs sorting out before water gets into the bearings

Last edited: