Lat Flow test needed for Soton Boat show.

lustyd

Visit site
Not solely, but it certainly cemented the decision. The other consideration was the lack of exibitors showing the various things I need to buy, partly caused by a lack of faith that people would show up and the show would go on.

Hope you enjoy the show, and hope it's not as empty as you hope as I'd like it to return to normal once this is all over with exibitors and freedom to enter. It's not conspiracy theories, it's actually written into law that excess data shoud not be collected.

Tranona

Visit site
This is still going on? How come no-one called Godwin after post #81?

Whilst I'm supportive of the right of the organisers to put whatever restrictions on this voluntary-to-attend show and happy to do this test, being the first time I've done one of these tests I was a little disappointed about the amount of personal information the government are requiring in order to report the result. email address, phone number DOB, ethnic grouping, NHS number, exact address....if they want demographics surely age and postcode are good enough and if they want to send your result or contact you for test and trace then *one* communications medium is all that is needed. Surely they want to encourage testing and reporting, not give ammunition to the anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists?

Apparently I don't have COVID so I'll be in southampton tomorrow. Given that the majority of the boating community (from observing behaviour in marina buildings and marine services shops) are mask-dodgers I hope I'm still COVD free this time next week.
You only need phone or email if you want notification. Ethnicity, citizenship and NHS number are all optional. Full address is perhaps OTT - but what are "they" going to do with it apart from locate where the test was taken as the data is reported area.

zoidberg

Visit site
I can report, FWIW, that the processing of attendees at SIBS this first morning was near-chaotic. Just a few minutes after 1000, there were more than 300 queuing to show their mobophoned 'acknowledgement text' of their posted negative Lateral Flow Test from the NHS - and just two security operatives at the first choke point.

There were many, many more security operatives around - e.g. 8 or 9 trying to manage foot traffic across a pedestrian crossing ( most school 'lollipop ladies' would manage better ).... others standing in groups awaiting the benefit of 'management' - and the long queue of show-goers was 'standard British courteous'.

The guys tasked with reading and checking the NHS text-message presented on mobophones were courteous but harassed. They were expected to read their way through and scroll down to find the one word 'negative'. English was not their first language. Understandably, when presented with a mobophone page with text on it that looked about right, they were just waving people through. They had little alternative....

The main entrance is now found at the bottom of a flight of over 30 steps - quite daunting if you or your companion needs a walking stick for support.

I was in/around the Main Hall most of the day. It was close to deserted most of the time. Despite the dry, warm conditions, footfall was light and the stallholders I spoke to were clearly dismayed.

Tranona

Visit site
Done my trip to the boats show. Really cannot see why anybody should object to taking the test. flash the bit of paper and if an RYA member flash another bit of paper and you are in for free. If you have not ticked the box on the Seeticket site that you want to receive further information all that remains on record of your visit is one entry of a negative test. Guess the illegal data harvesters some warn us about will fight over than prime bit of information - perhaps to try and scam us to buy future tests instead of using the free ones

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
Done my trip to the boats show. Really cannot see why anybody should object to taking the test. flash the bit of paper and if an RYA member flash another bit of paper and you are in for free. If you have not ticked the box on the Seeticker site that you want to receive further information all that remains on record of your visit is one entry of a negative test. Guess the illegal data harvesters some warn us about will fight over than prime bit of information - perhaps to try and scam us to buy future tests instead of using the free ones
Stop this! Don't let common sense or facts get in the way of some forum ranters :)

ashtead

Visit site
Well so far the Royal Mail has failed to deliver my free tests even though the text tells me they have arrived in my local sorting office but maybe shortage of posties due to covid alerts is impacting staffing levels . Anyway might have to visit our local chemist to procure a test for visit for next weekend-they might have sorted out access process by then. I guess there must be a disability access if needed as in past I have seen disabled walking between sites across road but maybe you need a special test to qualify to avoid the 30steps ?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
The guys tasked with reading and checking the NHS text-message presented on mobophones were courteous but harassed. They were expected to read their way through and scroll down to find the one word 'negative'. English was not their first language. Understandably, when presented with a mobophone page with text on it that looked about right, they were just waving people through. They had little alternative....
There is no need for this to be difficult or time consuming.

My text message shows my name, date of birth and date of the test in the first paragraph and the second paragraph starts "Your Coronavirus lateral flow test result is negative....."

ALL shown on the screen without scrolling or fiddling around. If every visitor just had that on their phone screen ready to show it would take seconds to verify each person.

If you scroll down there follows a lot of waffle about handwashing and what to do if you have been pinged etc but why would they want to scroll down and read all that?

dom

Visit site
Since we left the EU the UK has been a "third country". While an exemption might be on the way it is not yet in force and as such none of the UK list of exempt parties are exempt from the law, and neither is it currently acceptable to use a UK data centre for EU citizen data. Happy to quote article numbers if you like, but it's only 68 pages so I'm sure you'll find them.

Interestingly, for most of this year the UK DPA also didn't allow data storage of UK data in UK data centres. Not a lot of people know that.

You've just illustrated why people should be careful with non-professional interpretations of complex inter-sovereign judicial frameworks. In this case frameworks which are currently in a state of flux, and the ultimate outcomes have potentially serious consequences for privacy, national security, and commercial interests.

Turning to the ECJ, I'm afraid you are missing the point. From 31 Jan 2020, the UK adopted a frozen EU GDPR version which was applied up until 31 Dec 2020, at which date what is known as "UK GDPR" became part of domestic UK law.

UK GDPR is not an exact replica of EU GDPR, most importantly in that it changes the governing and binding interpretive legal authorities from the EC (European Commission) and ECJ (European Court of Justice), to the UK Secretary of State and UK Supreme and other interpretative courts. The replacement of the ECJ with UK courts suggests that UK GDPR will in time diverge from EU GDPR.

With respect to EU law, there are a number of possible routes to channel data, but by far the best is if the European Commission deems the UK's privacy laws to be “adequate”.

I'll leave this matter there, given that you have reached a similar dead end in your inability to answer the simple questions Tranona has posed to you.

Try to think a bit before posting.

lustyd

Visit site
Turning to the ECJ, I'm afraid you are missing the point. From 31 Jan 2020, the UK adopted a frozen EU GDPR version which was applied up until 31 Dec 2020, at which date what is known as "UK GDPR" became part of domestic UK law.

UK GDPR is not an exact replica of EU GDPR, most importantly in that it changes the governing and binding interpretive legal authorities from the EC (European Commission) and ECJ (European Court of Justice), to the UK Secretary of State and UK Supreme and other interpretative courts. The replacement of the ECJ with UK courts suggests that UK GDPR will in time diverge from EU GDPR
None of this is correct. The UK implemented the UK data protection act in 2018, it was an implementation of the GDPR as were the laws in other countries. There is no central GDPR it’s a law individually enacted per country. Ours contained many mentions of EU member states, something we have only recently addressed, along with our own law stating we were a third country. Please include article numbers if you’d like to dispute this, it’s not an interpretation it’s the legal text. The EU have yet to give us equivalence and as such we still are a third country in the law. Again that’s being worked on but as yet has not been passed.

your response is typical of someone who learned about privacy in a seminar. Try reading the law and following the updates more closely or refrain from posting on topics you clearly don’t understand.

dom

Visit site
None of this is correct. The UK implemented the UK data protection act in 2018, it was an implementation of the GDPR as were the laws in other countries. There is no central GDPR it’s a law individually enacted per country. Ours contained many mentions of EU member states, something we have only recently addressed, along with our own law stating we were a third country. Please include article numbers if you’d like to dispute this, it’s not an interpretation it’s the legal text. The EU have yet to give us equivalence and as such we still are a third country in the law. Again that’s being worked on but as yet has not been passed.

your response is typical of someone who learned about privacy in a seminar. Try reading the law and following the updates more closely or refrain from posting on topics you clearly don’t understand.

As you wish - there are plenty more windmills out there!
(y)

Last edited:

ashtead

Visit site
Bit of a thread drift here on GDPR but most likely impact will be if EC change the directive and the UK decides not to follow -that said plenty of processing takes place outside UK as anyone who has dealt with Barclays or sayBT knows . It just means in summary a schedule of extra paper for any such agreement plus of course employment opportunities for DPO etc. It’s only if you become a sanctioned country when real fun arises but luckily only 7 or so of those ,if you just consider how many cloud providers are based in US it all really becomes a bit pointless to debate though as the history of data relationship between The EC (who given the Germanic history) tend to more focussed on this generally and the US illustrates.

lustyd

Visit site
Technically the US is considered trusted, the point was that we do not yet have that status so it’s not the same at all and it’s not just more paperwork it’s actually breaking the law.
whether we follow or not the law that is in place is the law and should be followed. From what I’ve heard the UK plan is to diverge and not in the direction you’d hope.

Tranona

Visit site
Well so far the Royal Mail has failed to deliver my free tests even though the text tells me they have arrived in my local sorting office but maybe shortage of posties due to covid alerts is impacting staffing levels . Anyway might have to visit our local chemist to procure a test for visit for next weekend-they might have sorted out access process by then. I guess there must be a disability access if needed as in past I have seen disabled walking between sites across road but maybe you need a special test to qualify to avoid the 30steps ?
Rather the opposite experience with Royal Mail. Ordered on line late in the afternoon. next morning email to say about to be delivered, shortly after thunk through the door swiftly followed by an email saying has been delivered! Also picked up 2 packs from Boots so now have plenty.

Only access to show seems to be from the bottom of the steep steps at the end of West Quay. Then bridge over West Quay road to a small area in the corner of what is usually the holiday inn bit, then ground level crossing of the docks road into the main park area. would think that disability access would be OK from there but would miss the areas before the bridge. The entrance and (almost non existent) signage is a shambles.

Time Out

Visit site
This is still going on? How come no-one called Godwin after post #81?

Whilst I'm supportive of the right of the organisers to put whatever restrictions on this voluntary-to-attend show and happy to do this test, being the first time I've done one of these tests I was a little disappointed about the amount of personal information the government are requiring in order to report the result. email address, phone number DOB, ethnic grouping, NHS number, exact address....if they want demographics surely age and postcode are good enough and if they want to send your result or contact you for test and trace then *one* communications medium is all that is needed. Surely they want to encourage testing and reporting, not give ammunition to the anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists?

Apparently I don't have COVID so I'll be in southampton tomorrow. Given that the majority of the boating community (from observing behaviour in marina buildings and marine services shops) are mask-dodgers I hope I'm still COVD free this time next week.

Trust me. You will be fine. I have been at the Cannes yacht show all week, no masks, a LOT of people and plenty of close body contact. More so where I am which is on the Italian builders side !

Tested negative yesterday as did everyone I know.

They also have a testing centre on site.

laika

Visit site
Perhaps they learned from day 1 because there was none of the chaos zoidberg reported today. The check of the test text was a few seconds, scan of ticket a few seconds more and I was in at 9:50. I diverted to the try a boat queue before remembering I already have a boat and by the time I hit the queue for the bridge it had started moving.

This is the first time I’d driven to a show, there were lots of bulky things I wanted to buy and….whoa! This place is deserted! Let’s qualify that. No more than 3/5ths of the indoor space is occupied. No Jimmy green (I wanted new dock lines). No Kelvin Hughes, Almost no clothing (I need new boots) or life jackets (also needed). Few schools (wanted to book a course for first mate). Sailmakers we’re all there, ditto electronics but bargains absent because apparently chip shortages are causing supply issues (I was considering new plotter and radar).

There were a reasonable number of punters butt the halls weren’t crowded. Almost no mask wearing.

Pontoons were busy, plenty of boats to see, although undoubtedly the most desirable boat on show was concerto. Actually seeing the boat after the presentations roger has posted was probably the best bit of the show.

I left empty handed after less than 4 hours. A little disappointed but very happy to have the rest of this rather pleasant afternoon running through the task list on my boat.

Tranona

Visit site
The greatest value of visiting the show is that it is one more step towards "reality". Best bit for me (apart from seeing concerto and Roger) was the Morgans. Exhibiting dealer was the one I bought mine from 18 years ago. Was very tempted by the 6 in Lagoon blue, similar colour to mine, but fortunately for by bank balance it is too wide to fit my garage! offered me the same as I paid for mine new in 2003. He did start up the 3 wheeler which sounded great when revved.

laika

Visit site
Best bit for me (apart from seeing concerto and Roger) was the Morgans.

For a moment I thought you meant "Morgenster" (which I didn't go aboard because it looked lovely but a bit crowded) but obviously you mean the cars. We can make an exception for the Duttons but isn't saying the best bit about the boat show is a car a bit like saying the best bit was the garden furniture?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I’m not sure I recognise some of the comments about the show. We spent a very happy day there today, met several YBW forum members, bought a new engine, a new Icom handheld radio saw generators and water makers and probably have chosen which ones we’re going to buy. I managed to find details of charting for the Caribbean and beyond for our MFD along with a multitude of other questions answered by being able to talk to exhibitors face to face. I don’t think I’ve ever gone to a boat show to buy bits of chandlery from Jimmy Green or other outlets so I’m not disappointed when they’re not there. There were outlets like that but perhaps not as many as usual. For me the show was busy but not overcrowded. I had to queue at some stands in order to speak to someone. There were plenty of people around without it being over crowded and as far as I’m concerned plenty of exhibitors that I wanted to see.
Several of the exhibitors I spoke to were rushed off their feet and Cactus marine had sold out of several products and Icom had sent a van to Kent especially to go and fetch more stock for them for tomorrow.
Which were the big name exhibitors missing?