Laghi di Sibari - Cantabria

Signed Out

Visit site
I don't know this marina- whereabouts is it? Santander? But I do know the region ok, and adore it. (Except Santander that is; a blot on that coast if you ask me). Am planning to be in that region myself and took an explore in spring. The older marinas in Bilbao and Coruna were my favourite, these being my favourite cities around- B the better city, C the better sailing (I assume, though not sailed there yet, just read up).
Interested in seeing the replies. Jem.

kalessin

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
Re: Laghi di Sibari - possibly Calabria?

I suspect that Trevor meant Calabria (Italy) not Cantabria (Spain)....?

Re La Coruna, the older marina (the Club Nautico) is much more open to swell than the new one in the Darsena Deportiva, and is also further from the city centre, although it is in an attractive and interesting spot. The old marina is still the only place to get diesel, which is an interesting exercise. I'm not sure how much space there is for visitors, although it still seems to be possible to anchor off.

Trevor_Smith

Visit site
Re: Laghi di Sibari - possibly Calabria?

Quite right - a senior moment - I do mean Calabria. Any information would be welcome, particularly about the propensity of the entry canal to silt up!

davidbains

Visit site
Few Brits go up there, most crossing from Colonne to Sta Maria de Leuca or straight to Corfu. It is one of the hottest places in Italy too. And perhaps not the easiest place to get to. Are you leaving the boat there or living aboard? Did consider it myself but pressed on to Preveza. Alternatively head up the Adriatic.

santelmo

Visit site
We are currently in Sibari and are able to give you up to date information. We are staying here for the winter and were attracted by the very reasonable price. We are paying 890 euros for a 7 month contract Oct to April the price is the same in or out of the water, extra for the lift out of course and we are 11.5 metres. There is a good boatyard here with very efficient staff , attractive and very peaceful surroundings. Clean shower block with washing machine. Just now there is a small community of livaboards, about 6 or 7 boats of various nationalities. This marina is entered by a narrow channel which is prone to silting during the winter there is provision for dredging when this happens and the authorities do there best to keep it open. There was a problem here 2 years ago when boats could not get out in the spring this was caused by a legal problem re. The funding of the dredging work this has now been resolved and the regional authorities have agreed to fund the work in the future. The main disadvantage we have found is the isolation of the location. The nearest town is 6k which has a rail station, the marina provides a mini bus on tue and fri for shopping if you are here long term you really need some form of transport. Nearest airports are Bari and Lamezia which have flights to Stanstead. We have no regrets about coming here and can recommend it , there is a good website at www.marina-sibari.it. If you or anybody wants more info email me at exyzpi2@yahoo.co.uk

Signed Out

Visit site
Hehehe, that makes sense. The name does sound Italian, not Spanish. Ah well, know little of Italy, so can't help.
Jem.