KTL Centaur 2 - the naming of the beast

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
I was in Rothesay yesterday, and the missing accent has been added. Or rather, replaced, as I am sure it used to be there.

its taken 9 years for a gaelic speaker who can read it to walk past it! By those stats you can spell Katie Mhor how you like without offending many people very often. Makes you wonder if dual language signs are ever read!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I note you didn't go to this other forum for the 'inland waterway' part of your voyaging.

Forum: The Thames Forum
A place to discuss boating issues specific to the Thames and other inland waterways

Maybe, but they seem to spent all their time muttering about the outrageousness of unlicensed boaters, young boaters, foreign boaters, young foreign boaters and young unlicensed foreign boaters and discussing the best place to buy grey crimplene slacks. Perhaps these are issues specific to the Thames, of course.

TheBiscuits

Visit site
You could always go for the simpler "Katie Arrr" and fly a Jolly Roger instead of one of them defaced saltires or whatever the latest fad is ... particularly as you arrr going the right way this time :-D

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
You could always go for the simpler "Katie Arrr" and fly a Jolly Roger instead of one of them defaced saltires or whatever the latest fad is ... particularly as you arrr going the right way this time :-D

as a former racing man I used to regard flags as unhelpful windage

as a cameraman a red ensign on the back of the boat looks rather nice..... and the yanks like it

however, the way flags raise temperatures on here makes me wary of flying anything at all

D

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've been in touch with my colleague. She says that spelling reforms now mean that the acute and grave accents are rendered the same, and she thinks grave would be appropriate here. The 'h' is definitely needed, so "Mhòr" is the way to go. She also comments that it really should be "Ceitidh Mhòr" (it's only "ceilidh" with a different letter in the middle) but that you could get away with "Katie Mhòr" by calling it a code-switching name. Which has nothing to do with someone moving from Wasps to Wigan.

prv

Visit site
I've been in touch with my colleague. She says that spelling reforms now mean that the acute and grave accents are rendered the same, and she thinks grave would be appropriate here. The 'h' is definitely needed, so "Mhòr" is the way to go. She also comments that it really should be "Ceitidh Mhòr" (it's only "ceilidh" with a different letter in the middle) but that you could get away with "Katie Mhòr" by calling it a code-switching name. Which has nothing to do with someone moving from Wasps to Wigan.

But would it then be properly pronounced as "Katie Vore", sound silly, and bollix up the joke about being this Katie being more than the last?

Pete

TheBiscuits

Visit site
Which has nothing to do with someone moving from Wasps to Wigan.

Never mind ensigns, that is coming close to being religious discrimination.

(and who came up with the idea that if they can't get the ball off you on their own they have to be given a turn anyway ... )

JumbleDuck

Visit site
But would it then be properly pronounced as "Katie Vore", sound silly, and bollix up the joke about being this Katie being more than the last?

It would, but I he could say "Katie More" when talking English. As I think I said up thread, nobody bats an eyelid at "Mhairi" pronounced "Maary".

Or he could go for "Ceitidh Eile", pronounced "Katie L" and meaning "Other Katie", which I think would be elegant.

TheBiscuits

Visit site
It would, but I he could say "Katie More" when talking English. As I think I said up thread, nobody bats an eyelid at "Mhairi" pronounced "Maary".

Or he could go for "Ceitidh Eile", pronounced "Katie L" and meaning "Other Katie", which I think would be elegant.

That raises the homonym concept ...

Kay Teal
Kate Eel
Kate Yell

Not as subtle as Ceitidh Eile - like it! - but I'm a ignorant Sassenach so I'd just repeat something like "Seated Isle" a bit louder at you.