KTL Centaur 2 - the naming of the beast

dylanwinter

Andrew has agreed to my 4K offer for Varkoula - based on the Humber

the engine is too good to rip out - so well project is back on hold

this is an old survey for her

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/survey-varkoula-2.pdf

I am thinking of taking her to the west coast via the canals from the Humber to the Mersey

the Leeds and Liverpool is a ‘wide’ canal taking vessels up to 14 foot 4 inches beam. The total distance from Humber to Mersey is 161 miles. The Aire and Calder Navigation (34 miles) and the L & L canal (127 miles).

has anyone taken a boat through that route?

the name - Varkoula is not one I like much?

I really like the Katie L name that came from this forum - I am very grateful to you blokes for your thoughts on coming up with that name

so I am open to suggestions

I am currently reading a book about this man

http://www.rampantscotland.com/SCM/graphics/clyde_bruce700_front2.jpg

he was determined for sure - but he was also a murderer and guilty of many war crimes

and given that I will be sailing it around Scotland for four years I thought calling it "The Bruce" might be interesting

D

PS - Katie L is going to be brought home and parked on the drive for a couple of years. She is in need of some serious fettling after five years continuously in commission.

I have had some fabulous sails in her in the Moray Firth penetrating deep into the best sand harbours and tidal rivers of the journey so far. Katie L is ideal for an 85 year old bloke to end his days poking around Essex salt marshes but does not really have enough room below for Jill, me, the dog and two bikes to sit out a three day West Coast rainstorm or spend three months a year cruising where they have 60 inches of rain a year - or is that a month?

Romeo

I had been looking at that Canal Route for a possible circumnavigation of the UK. (in the same way that plenty of folk from the south are happy to circumnavigate using the caley canal). Never quite got round to exploring the idea in depth though, so look forward to seeing the replies.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Having done the L&L on a narrowboat, I would be very concerned you won't have enough air draft for the Centaur.

Edit

Just looked it up. the low point is Foulridge tunnel, air draft 7ft 9"

Minimum water draft 3ft 9"

Last edited:

Concerto

Dylan

Welcome back with another Centaur. Looking at the 2012 survey, it does not read too bad at all for a 42 year old boat.

My only comment is that the canal route you are suggesting will mean geting her tested for the boat safety scheme. This will definitely mean work on the gas system as recommended by the survey report.

Are you going to join the Westerly Owners Association now? You can join the forum anytime.

dylanwinter

Dylan

Welcome back with another Centaur. Looking at the 2012 survey, it does not read too bad at all for a 42 year old boat.

My only comment is that the canal route you are suggesting will mean geting her tested for the boat safety scheme. This will definitely mean work on the gas system as recommended by the survey report.

Are you going to join the Westerly Owners Association now? You can join the forum anytime.

the boat is on a canal and has a certificate

although the gas is going and will be replaced with an Origo system of some sort

as for the Westerly Owners club....

I did join once, got a lot of paperwork including a list of all the members

I posted questions on the forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIIuR-HjFho

Last edited: