KTL Centaur 2 - the naming of the beast

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
is it a nicer canal then?

D

We drive up the Dales following a good bit of the route of the canal when we go to the boat in the Lakes, and Scotland for that matter, and I'm fairly blaze about it, but it is quite nice. Green fields, dry stone walls, sheep, rickety barns, sheep, more scenery than you can shake a stick at, sheep and dry stone walls. Mainly low laying but vistas of hills, with sheep on. Not as much scenery as Scotland but that's not saying much really.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
this is an excellent idea

made better because it has arrived by an accident

Katie Mor

my favourite so far I think

well done you two between you

I think, though I know little gaelic, that it would have to be Katie Mhór (pronounced "vore"), since Katie is, presumably, feminine. C.f. "An Sgeir Mhór" = "Skerryvore".

Daydream believer

Visit site
A pal of mine went through the rent-boy area of Manchester quite late - he was bombarded with empty beer cans. He reported that the Marylyn Monroe bar in the Rly Stn served excellent beer and food until late.
I saw a norwegian single hander once hassled by kids. He had a great way of dispersing them.
A catapult and a handfull of shingle.
Getting hit on the legs soon had them running for cover

VicS

Visit site
I really like the Katie L name that came from this forum - I am very grateful to you blokes for your thoughts on coming up with that name

so I am open to suggestions

I was one of those who suggested Katie L

How about the obvious for the new boat . . . . . . . KTL 2

Last edited:

Uricanejack

Visit site
I think, though I know little gaelic, that it would have to be Katie Mhór (pronounced "vore"), since Katie is, presumably, feminine. C.f. "An Sgeir Mhór" = "Skerryvore".

I believe you are correct about the correct Gaelic spelling. As in Mairi Mhor. Most of the gaelic speakers I know are not literate in gaelic and I have heard her referred to as both Mairi Vore and Mairi Mor. Gaelic names of people and places are often written phonetically rather than correctly. pronounciation can vary quite a bit from one area to another. English has a long tradition off adopting names or words from other languages. Many Scottish place names are written in English with the suffix Mor.
I think. Katie Mor or Katie Mhor would both be nice names and might have suggested Katie Mhor if it had not already come up prior to my reading the thread.
Most Gaels will appreciate the name either way.

Last edited:

EdWingfield

Visit site
Don't get too clever Dylan. Remember, if you are calling Coastguard in a panic, you wont want to be asked how it is spelled for them to find your page on the database.

On the other hand a popular seabird name eg. 'Fulmar' - CG will have hundreds of fulmars.

I've often wondered how many 'Catch 22' they have. there seems to be one of them in every marina?

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Don't get too clever Dylan. Remember, if you are calling Coastguard in a panic, you wont want to be asked how it is spelled for them to find your page on the database.

On the other hand a popular seabird name eg. 'Fulmar' - CG will have hundreds of fulmars.

I've often wondered how many 'Catch 22' they have. there seems to be one of them in every marina?

Sage advice

although I am not sure the boat is on any data base - Katie L isn't registered anywhere

this one has a an SSR but I will remove the ugly plaques - I don't think that the register of any relevance to my sort of sailing

With Katie L the only people I call are the harbour masters and all they want to know is how long the boat is

all that is done on the mobile

I have never spoken to the coast guard in over 40 years afloat

on this journey I have only used the radio three times

I know that some people like to yack on them all day but on Katie L I have a hand held

that has been used for the Thames barrier and for getting past Dover twice

I am thinking of painting the boat British racing green

same colour as our old GP14

dunedin

Visit site

Suspect that things like Katie Mhor (or Mor) are not going to confuse Stornoway or Belfast coastguard - lots of Gaelic inspired names, and as others have said there are lots of variations on spelling for a largely spoken language (note the Rum / Rhum debate previously on the name of the island - now I think settled on Rum)

PS. And like Dylan, many boats up north very rarely, if ever, press transmit on the VHF (though probably keep listening watch for safety, as lifeboats much wider spread). And in emergency would hit red button which uses MMSI not boat name anyway

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
"I am thinking of painting the boat British racing green
same colour as our old GP14 "

Personally I am all for éclat.

But, you will want to sell the boat later, I am not convinced by the red sail green hull combo. Ask the missus on this one.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Bearing in mind you are stil going to follow a similar lifestyle sailing wise how about
"What Katie Did"

Your partner may like that from her child hood days

If you get really flush with cash then the next boat would have to be " what katie did next"

That would keep the katie name alive

Last edited:

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
"I am thinking of painting the boat British racing green
same colour as our old GP14 "

Personally I am all for éclat.

But, you will want to sell the boat later, I am not convinced by the red sail green hull combo. Ask the missus on this one.

not planning on selling the red sail even when I sell Centaur 2

I have heard red and green should never be seen but....

ianc1200

Visit site
I thought The Beast was the name of the engine not the boat....

We dropped our mast to do the Broads recently on a Mk 1 Crabber and had 4' 6" headroom, would a Centaur be that much different?

Jon Wainwright took his Morcombe Bay Prawner Deva through the same route as detailed in the book "So Many Tides" can't imagine it would be too much of a problem.