Kings Ferry Bridge

xyachtdave

Visit site
I thought it was just 5 past the hour in line with the train timetable but can change with engineering works on the train line, particularly over bank holiday weekends.

I've arranged a couple of club cruises through here and was told the bridge don't know about changes to the train schedule until the last minute.

bluerm166

Visit site
Based on previous and current experience ,yes,the bridge will only open at 20 to or 10 past the hour on weekdays and Saturdays.I assume that this is the safest time to do so as you see opposing trains pass each other near the bridge immediately before these openings.If it has opened frequently and the motors are hot it will not wish to open for a whole hour if you have just missed an opening. I believe Sunday openings are on the hour.I daresay there is some flexibility in the middle of the night especially if you are a ship and have given warning to Medway VTS as you pass them and then enter the Swale.

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
Based on previous and current experience ,yes,the bridge will only open at 20 to or 10 past the hour on weekdays and Saturdays.I assume that this is the safest time to do so as you see opposing trains pass each other near the bridge immediately before these openings.If it has opened frequently and the motors are hot it will not wish to open for a whole hour if you have just missed an opening. I believe Sunday openings are on the hour.I daresay there is some flexibility in the middle of the night especially if you are a ship and have given warning to Medway VTS as you pass them and then enter the Swale.
I didn't think there was anywhere for trains to pass. I thought it was all single track. Medway VTS don't carry a lot of weight with the bridge. It is run by Network Rail. Medway VTS have been known to chase up the bridge when the don't answer the radio. I'm not sure how it works now as Medway VTS is now located in Liverpool.

Cantata

Visit site
Just to sum up, lifts on Mon-Sat are possible at H+10 and H+40 to fit in with train times. You might have to wait an extra 30 mins if a ship is booked to go through, and anyway giving at least 30 mins notice is always a good idea. The overheating of the motors remains a problem, they are ancient and were due to be replaced during last winter but the contractor dropped out.
Sunday lifts are available around H+15. Never understood why Sundays should only offer one per hour.
This is pretty much the same lift schedule that has operated for years, nothing new.

oldgit

Visit site
Chris, in ye olden days visit to Conyer was timed to arrive at the bridge nice and early to get a Flybridge, (usually with aerials up) underneath....
Then super slow creep round to No 8 Red can bouy .Across when sufficent water .
Swale map suggests when little island is covered you have 2m of water.
In the past have gone across (on flood tide) a bit earlier with about 1m under keel.
If bit choppy, usually wimp out and go long way round.
A prompt exit and a minor whizz can get you back ( with aerials down) and under without lift .

Murv

Visit site
Thanks all, very useful :)

Chris, in ye olden days visit to Conyer was timed to arrive at the bridge nice and early to get a Flybridge, (usually with aerials up) underneath....
Then super slow creep round to No 8 Red can bouy .Across when sufficent water .
Swale map suggests when little island is covered you have 2m of water.
In the past have gone across (on flood tide) a bit earlier with about 1m under keel.
If bit choppy, usually wimp out and go long way round.
A prompt exit and a minor whizz can get you back ( with aerials down) and under without lift .

I've got my timings all worked out, was hoping to run them by you briefly if you're about this evening?
I don't think we'll have any issue, neap tide, 3.3m vertical clearance and arriving at KFB at HW-2hrs should mean we'll breeze through. Not sure on Keith's air draft though, by my calculations we should be able to get under even at HW with the arch down but not sure about him. Hopefully he'll know!
Really just trying to cover all the bases in the unlikely event that anything goes wrong...

bluerm166

Visit site
I have long believed that Sheppey trains can pass each other at Swale station ( I think this may be visible at HW ,certain states of tree growth) since one train can appear very quickly after another crosses the bridge in the other direction.So having a boyhood belief challenged so publicly drives me first to google maps,where I see that there is a twin section of track available there,and thence to the South eastern railway timetable where I note for instance that a train arrives at Swale from Sheerness at 1759 and a train bound for Sheerness arrives at Swale at 1803.Possible only if trains can pass in that vicinity.

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
I have long believed that Sheppey trains can pass each other at Swale station ( I think this may be visible at HW ,certain states of tree growth) since one train can appear very quickly after another crosses the bridge in the other direction.So having a boyhood belief challenged so publicly drives me first to google maps,where I see that there is a twin section of track available there,and thence to the South eastern railway timetable where I note for instance that a train arrives at Swale from Sheerness at 1759 and a train bound for Sheerness arrives at Swale at 1803.Possible only if trains can pass in that vicinity.

Yes you are right, sorry I was wrong. Just had a look at Google Maps. I knew Swale Station was a single platform and everywhere that you can see the track from the road its single track, but Google shows two tracks a short way back from Swale towards Sittingbourne.

Cantata

Visit site
Sorry to have been pedantic - not exactly something the OP needed to know.

Useful info nonetheless. Knowing the bridge was single track, the 'passing problem' had never occurred to me. It does explain why the northbound train always appears immediately after the southbound has left Swale station.