Keeping boat in Greece, dangerous?

Heckler

Visit site
Youngest just came home before the next world girdling job. Was telling the story of her mates dads Bene in Lefkada. Apparently on board anchored somewhere. Knocking on boat, small boat full of immigrants, scared the sh out of them. Dad now bringing boat from Greece.
Question, is it starting to get iffy even in the Ionian?
S

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The vast majority want to get into Greece (or Italy) where they will know they can be received and processed. For virtually all this means crossing from Turkey by the shortest route, to Symi, Kos, Leros, Lesvos and a few others. Nowadays there are Greek naval and coastguard boats on the water attempting to collect them asap. Having witnessed many of them coming ashore from coastguard ships they all appear mightily relieved to have made it to Europe. From there they are transported westwards by ferry. Which makes it difficult to imagine what migrants were doing in Lefkada. Are you sure they were migrants, not just low-lifes trying to take advantage of rich yachties?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Youngest just came home before the next world girdling job. Was telling the story of her mates dads Bene in Lefkada. Apparently on board anchored somewhere. Knocking on boat, small boat full of immigrants, scared the sh out of them. Dad now bringing boat from Greece.
S
More hear say . Oh dear
I heard to day that a boat load of immogrants are going around Lefkes offering to buy a Ben for twice what it's worth .

macd

Visit site

I've no experience of it being 'iffy' anywhere, unless you're unfortunate enough to be Syrian, Afghani...

As Vyv wrote, on many of the eastern Aegean islands, large numbers of refugees are a tragic fact of life, and transparently stretch local resources to the limit. The impact on yachties is minimal. (Although we towed an abandoned refugee RIB into Plomarion, which wasn't especially arduous.) Here in Crete, the 'problem' of refugees, from the point of view of the impact on liveaboards, just isn't an issue, even conversationally. The 'problem' in the wider sense, of course, is a very big issue indeed.

OldBawley

Visit site
Do not think the seagoing immigrants are a new phenomenon.
I saw abandoned boats and illegal immigrants back in 2000.
Now that Merkel welcomed refugees I noticed that here in the Saronic and the eastern Peleponese most of the illegals working dirty jobs in Greece are gone.
They jumped the bandwagon.
Even most gypsy´s are gone. Wonder why.

Davy_S

Visit site
I would steer well clear of the Ionian, some of the locals have plied me with cheap wine, I went to a wedding once, they started smashing plates, elf and safety would have had a fit! you are more likely to be accosted by a friendly Asian selling counterfeit DVDs. be very worried:rolleyes:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I would steer well clear of the Ionian, some of the locals have plied me with cheap wine, I went to a wedding once, they started smashing plates, elf and safety would have had a fit! you are more likely to be accosted by a friendly Asian selling counterfeit DVDs. be very worried:rolleyes:
maybe best to let this rumor run , it might make the Ionian a quiet place this season for the rest of the us passing through .

Hardmy

Visit site
We cleared in Saranda (Albania) on 15.05.2015 and were checked quite in detail, with a policemen standing next to the boat the first hours. There was a little interrogation where they checked every visas in our passports and asked such detailed questions so that we were sure that they had googled us in the Internet. They were correct and friendly but it we didn't felt that well. Anyway, we came back in the course of the season two additional times, each time with a very warm welcome. Finally the police chief wanted to drink coffee with us.

He kind of apologize about our first visit, and told us that the week before our arrival a group of refugees were able to make it to Greece starting from Saranda. The Greeks accused the Albanians not having their borders under control. He said, they don't want to hear that anymore and will act with all adequate means to prevent this in the future. Meanwhile they caught the smugglers.

Probably the only thing which can happen in a near future, is that again a couple of refugees may cross the straits of Corfu. I cannot believe that anything else could happen in the Ionian.

craw4d2003

Visit site
Can anyone give us some advice on the sailing tax in Greek waters. We are live aboards on our Colvic 50 and are looking to semi retire next year. I love Greece but we have been put off by how much we potentially would have to pay on a boat of our size. Any advice would be really welcome.

macd

Visit site
Can anyone give us some advice on the sailing tax in Greek waters. We are live aboards on our Colvic 50 and are looking to semi retire next year. I love Greece but we have been put off by how much we potentially would have to pay on a boat of our size. Any advice would be really welcome.

The Cruising Tax (TPP) hasn't been implemented and there's every likelyhood it won't be. Latest info on the CA site here: http://cruising.org.uk/news/greektax

Palarran

Visit site
Craw, I'm sorry if disrespectful, but if paying between 100 and 300 euro per year to cruise Greece is a deal breaker for you, I kind of hope you stay away. These people would give you their last tomato with no hesitation and a smile, the food is cheap and very good, town quays are near free, there's no place better. So if your asked to pay a pittance to sail there, either do so happily or don't come.

macd

Visit site
Craw, I'm sorry if disrespectful, but if paying between 100 and 300 euro per year to cruise Greece is a deal breaker for you...

...er, shurely shome mishtake. The Colvic 50 is evidently 16.7m long. So the TPP charge, If implemented, would be €1670 per year (less any applicable discounts).

For the present this is, of course, all academic. The main practical effect of the 2014 legislation is to make the paperwork easier (at least for EU folk).

Last edited:

Two Drifters

Visit site
I am on a 44ft Cat. Paid about 250 Euros I think for last season. Will presumably have to pay something similar this season when we get the DEKPA stamped.

The cruising tax has not been enforced. Whilst it is law it seems that the local customs are refusing to collect it as they are not getting anything from it.

To date I know of no one who has been charged it.

Greece is probably the cheapest place to cruise in Europe, we are a fairly big fat boat and I think the most we paid to go into a harbor in the Aegean was about 20 Euro per night. Quite often it is free, or near as damit. A good example of the Greek attitude to cruisers is summed up as follows.

We visited a very pretty, well developed harbor in the Corinth, on the mainland side not far by car from Athens called Galaxidi. We were told on arrival that the harbor was free and asked if we would like water and electric. We have a water maker and solar so said no thank you, assuming it would be charged. The chap looked a little crestfallen and said, 'But it is also FREE'.... I asked why everything was free. His response, we want cruising boats to come here!!

Come here whilst you can, as it can only be a matter of time before this beautiful country goes the way of Turkey and Croatia and everything becomes more and more expensive. The people are charming, the harbors and anchorages many and varied and the sailing is great, certainly in the Aegean if you like a breeze.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I am on a 44ft Cat. Paid about 250 Euros I think for last season. Will presumably have to pay something similar this season when we get the DEKPA stamped.

The cruising tax has not been enforced. Whilst it is law it seems that the local customs are refusing to collect it as they are not getting anything from it.

Greece is probably the cheapest place to cruise in Europe, we are a fairly big fat boat and I think the most we paid to go into a harbor in the Aegean was about 20 Euro per night. Quite often it is free, or near as damit. A good example of the Greek attitude to cruisers is summed up as follows.

We visited a very pretty, well developed harbor in the Corinth, on the mainland side not far by car from Athens called Galaxidi. We were told on arrival that the harbor was free and asked if we would like water and electric. We have a water maker and solar so said no thank you, assuming it would be charged. The chap looked a little crestfallen and said, 'But it is also FREE'.... I asked why everything was free. His response, we want cruising boats to come here!!

Come here whilst you can, as it can only be a matter of time before this beautiful country goes the way of Turkey and Croatia and everything becomes more and more expensive. The people are charming, the harbors and anchorages many and varied and the sailing is great, certainly in the Aegean if you like a breeze.

I agree with all you say, except that I am not sure what the €250 payment was for? I don't recall ever paying to have a Dekpa stamped, other than simultaneous port fees. Since the requirement came in that a stamp was only required once per year we pay nothing for it.

We have visited Marathakambos on the south side of Samos several times over the years. In the last two years they have invested heavily in pontoons and lazy lines but it remains free for the reason you quote - 'we want yachts to come here.' Unfortunately no water on the pontoons, although there are taps at the root, and no electricity so far.

macd

Visit site

It's not been charged* because there is no mechanism for paying it, and there's no mechanism because the Greek government has not introduced the measure. This is perhaps partly because of opposition from officials, as you mention. However, my understanding was that it would be paid on-line, which I wouldn't have thought "local customs" had much bearing on.

*There seems, however, to have been at least one instance of the charge being levied despite the above, I think in Porto Heli which is well-known for its awkwardness. Last I heard the episode was under investigation. There's a thread on the matter lurking somewhere on here.

Are you saying you were charged "about 250 Euros" in harbour charges, or for something else? If so, I can't imagine how that ties in with getting your DEKPA stamped, unless you plan an extended stay in one harbour (and bearing in mind that in many places the port police are no longer responsible fo collecting harbour fees). It might be useful for craw4d to know this.