Katie Mor, Mhor or Mhor with an accent over the o - one for the Scots

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Jumble Duck et al.....

I think I have settled on the name Katie Mhor for Centaur 2

- although I am swithering a little

I like the H - but should it have the accent? The references suggest that it is seldom used

for those who have not been following Mhor means great in Gaelic apparently

big Kate

Katie Mhor

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm sorry, I speak no Gaelic, so I can be of no definitive help here. I am sure that you need the h - "Katie Mor" would be as bad as "Catherine le Grand" - but when this came up I could find nothing definitive about the accent. Mhor, mhór and mhòr all seem to be used. If you haven't been enlightened by later in the week I shall consult a colleague who is (a) a linguist and (b) a native Gaelic speaker from Skye ...

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Jumble Duck et al.....

I think I have settled on the name Katie Mhor for Centaur 2

- although I am swithering a little

I like the H - but should it have the accent? The references suggest that it is seldom used

for those who have not been following Mhor means great in Gaelic apparently

big Kate

Katie Mhor

Don't forget to pronounce it right; it's not pronounced 'more'.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I will leave the pronunciation to others

however, I assume most people will pronounce it wrong - as most people do with my name as well

accent - yes or no Angus

D

You will have to pronounce it on the radio and to harbour masters now and then.

Accent - why not? I think the left hand pointing one.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You will have to pronounce it on the radio and to harbour masters now and then.

Were I Dylan, I'd spell it "Ceitidh Mhor" but pronounce it "Katie More". English speakers get away with pronouncing Mhairi as "Maary" rather that "Vaary".

91NA%2B5Xkp%2BL.jpg

Last edited:

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Were I Dylan, I'd spell it "Ceitidh Mhor" but pronounce it "Katie More". English speakers get away with pronouncing Mhairi as "Maary" rather that "Vaary".

If he leaves the h out and uses mór or mòr then it will be pronounced 'more' as in Buachaille Etive Mòr. It's only the h in mhòr that changes it to a v sound.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If he leaves the h out and uses mór or mòr then it will be pronounced 'more' as in Buachaille Etive Mòr. It's only the h in mhòr that changes it to a v sound.

I know, but the mh is needed because "Ceitidh" is a girl's name and therefore feminine. Shepherds are assumed to be male and so "buachaile" is masculine and takes the unmutated form. "Katie Mòr" is just wrong.

cf "Eilean Mòr McCormaig" vs "Sgeir Mhõr" (Skerryvore). Islands are masculine; rocks are feminine.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I know, but the mh is needed because "Ceitidh" is a girl's name and therefore feminine. Shepherds are assumed to be male and so "buachaile" is masculine and takes the unmutated form. "Katie Mòr" is just wrong.

cf "Eilean Mòr McCormaig" vs "Sgeir Mhõr" (Skerryvore). Islands are masculine; rocks are feminine.

I had the same gender bother when I was trying to learn French at school :)

lpdsn

Visit site
Just call her "Big Katie" then, though that risks sounding like a notorious character from the Raploch Estate in Stirling.

"Big Katie" sounds much less pretentious and I'm sure some kind forumite will be able to produce a cartoon for the hull graphics.

mainsail1

Visit site
If it is of any use, I have known a number of yachts over the years with Mhor in the name and most of them have been in Scotland. None have had an accent. In fact the first 'super' yacht I stayed aboard for a couple of days when a young lad in Glasgow was called Maureen Mhor and at 98 feet or thereabouts she was just a tad larger than your Centaur. No accent in sight! But then again, why not be different? It would be fun trying to type the name with the accent in your articles.