KAD44 Questions

Whitelighter

Visit site
Fairenuff, if he prefers "non-oddball-but-shouting-badly-neglected-just-from-the-pics-Brit-stuff", who are we to argue...? :ambivalence:

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. You are preaching to the choir remember.

That said, even I see the difference between mainstream IT stuff and the yards that build a handful of boats per year.
If they are really so great and popular how come they are available for such a comparatively low prices. Just a thought...

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Well, in hindsight I guess my comment might sound a bit rude vs. petem, and that wasn't my intention by any stretch of imagination.
P, I hope you don't mind - I just tell it as I see it. All the very best anyway, as always! :encouragement:

No offense taken! And I'm always enteratined by Porto's attempts to get me to buy a Pershing or some other other IT boat :).

As Stelican states above, that T34 does have the whiff of a "turn the key and go owner". The rest of it wasn't too bad.

Anyhow, unfortunately yesterday my partner decided he wants to go it alone so it will all be his problem rather than a shared one with me.

Right, I'm off to buy a Lamborghini (can't be any harder / more expensive than a boat)!

MapisM

Visit site
unfortunately yesterday my partner decided he wants to go it alone so it will all be his problem rather than a shared one with me.
While I'm sorry to hear that you are, yet again, back to the drawing board, I'm not sure that your "unfortunately" is appropriate, in this context.
My gut feeling is that you dodged two bullets in a row, P.
Mind, not that this is so unusual. When looking for used boats, dodging bullets is even more important than find the ideal boat imho.
And this is said by someone who ideally would have wanted a NM57 (or similar), and eventually ended buying a DP56, if you see what I mean!

Apropos P, call me annoying if you wish, but you are REALLY restricting your chances a lot, by looking at FL only.
When PF suggests to look elsewhere and possibly avoid KAD engines on outdrives, he's talking sense for good.
And after all, it's more FL fault than yours, if there are on the market better boats at lower prices.
Btw, I know a British former FL shareholder who bought a 90s Riva, when he was on the market for a used boat... :rolleyes:

MapisM

Visit site
That said, even I see the difference between mainstream IT stuff and the yards that build a handful of boats per year.
If they are really so great and popular how come they are available for such a comparatively low prices. Just a thought...
Easy, that's just a matter of offer and demand.
Every boater and their dog know Azimut and Ferretti, also internationally, but only Italians (and not even all of them!) know VZ, for instance.
But as it happens, the number of IT punters dropped like a stone after the bubble burst, for several reasons, and is only (slightly) beginning to recover now.
As a result, nowadays you can buy a VZ18 for 200k Eur or so, while for a F590 or a F620 (both comparable to the VZ 18, sizewise) you must fork out almost double than that.
But trust me (since I guess you've never been onboard a VZ 18), comparing those boats is a sort of practical joke.
In fact, when new, most VZ 18 buyers were considering the SL 62 as an alternative.
And with all due respect, NONE of whoever went for either of these would have even looked at Azimut or Ferretti, or PrinFairSun for that matter.

vas

Visit site
I should set up a poll to see how many knew wtf was this VZ18 I had to google.
FWIW, I've never heard of Vizianello yard before, looks rather nice P :)

P et al, when you mention obscure IT brands, how about giving the full name the first time they're mentioned in a thread?

cheers

V.

MapisM

Visit site
No need to make a poll, Vas.
Other than Poweryachtblog, who knows exactly who VZ was and what helluva yacht the VZ 18 is, I can't think of anyone else that I would expect to know the yard, here in the asylum.
BTW, I'm afraid that Vizianello is actually another one, focused on commercial boats, and still fully operative.
VZ is (or better said was)... Ermm... VZ.
Actually "Cantiere Nautico VZ" was the full Company name, IIRC. But that would translate in EN along the lines of "VZ boatyard", so that doesn't add a lot to VZ alone.
As opposed to DP for instance, which is the short for... Well, you know that, by now! :cool:

MapisM

Visit site
Yep, that's indeed a website mistake, though not such a rare one.
I came across some IT boaters who also believed VZ to be an abbreviation for Vizianello (both located in Venice area, btw).

Ref. the comparison with SL, the VZ 18 was actually a competitor of the 62, not of the 72.
With several pros and cons for each, and a rather different layout (more peculiar in the VZ, with a crew area astern, facing the e/r access).
Both fantastic boats anyway. It's just a shame that they are a bit larger than SWMBO (with reason, I must say) was willing to manage without a deck hand...
...which neither of us wanted to have, at least for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Noticed a few VZ flybridge about when we are in Italy .
I think I have mentioned DP previously and Sarnico and --Alfa marine - no body out side IT seems to have heard of them

Here's a another Interesting name --- Google this folks

Cantieri Navali Di Roma. --:) -:encouragement:

----- Boat yard of Rome ? ----

Still make boats on that site --to order under a different name ,but mostly refits these days

Is there or was there a Uk London equivalent name wise -- London motor boat Co ??

MapisM

Visit site
no body out side IT seems to have heard of them
LOL, fancy another few examples?

- Abbate Tullio
- Airon Marine
- Albatro
- Cadenazzi
- Colombo
- Cranchi
- Cramar
- Lillia
- Matteri
- Mattia
- Molinari Eugenio
- Mostes
- Navalia
- Primatist

All these folks are or have been boatbuilders...
...In Lake Como alone, would you believe that?! :eek:
And I'm probably forgetting others.

vas

Visit site
LOL, fancy another few examples?

- Abbate Tullio
- Airon Marine
- Albatro
- Cadenazzi
- Colombo
- Cranchi
- Cramar
- Lillia
- Matteri
- Mattia
- Molinari Eugenio
- Mostes
- Navalia
- Primatist

All these folks are or have been boatbuilders...
...In Lake Como alone, would you believe that?! :eek:
And I'm probably forgetting others.

wow, know Cranchi (have 2-3 in Volos) and have seen Airon somewhere, so 2 out of 14, I can now go to bed happy that I know my Italian yards :p

Would you also consider Versilcraft as among the unknown yards? Seem to be still around producing large custom yachts, right?

V.

MapisM

Visit site
Guess -- Bros ?
Yep, precisely.
Tullio always used his full name, while Bruno established the brand "Primatist", which he got better known for, and is the one I used in the above list.
Though you can also see Bruno's full name, on the boats he built.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Would you also consider Versilcraft as among the unknown yards? Seem to be still around producing large custom yachts, right?
No idea about what they are building nowadays (if anything), but I suspect that not much is left of the old heritage, brand aside.
But yes, Versilcraft definitely deserves a mention among the "Viareggio boys", together with others who shaped the industry in its infancy!
Not sure about when it was established, but I would guess in the early 60s...
When was yours built?

PS: I mean, when was she built for the first time, that is! :D

Last edited: