Just pictures

johnalison

Visit site
There are a couple of huge oaks in the valley behind the RHYC, follow the footpath up to Woolverstone church.
I was told that often these trees were planted as marker trees at significant points such as a corner of someone’s property. The phrase marker tree seems to have an American meaning, so I found Mr Google unhelpful.

bluerm166

Visit site
https://youtu.be/nYZZDsomt8g

.............it had been a strenuous crossing but the wind had continued to ease since dawn to give a flat calm as we approached the shallows of the Island and feeling our way through the reefs we could first spot ..........................
......................... the cranes of Felixstowe.

14K478

Visit site
Someone must have SERIOUSLY fouled up there! It's all pilotage waters, and mostly fairly clear of hazards. On the boat trip where I took the photo, I was watching the buoyage, and there were plenty of cardinal marks to indicate hazards, too.
It’s a picture of a once famous event, introduced on HK Radio with the words (by an Australian announcer) “There’s been an improvement to the view of Lantau; it’s big, it’s blue, and it belongs to Mr Moller!”

In those days the pilots operated their own boats, in order to give the small motor boats in use some protection the pilot station was at Green Island, and it was quite the done thing for incoming container ships to race each other up the channel for the pilot, and therefore for the next berth at MTL.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Bracing winter walk, beside Oare Creek, today. I love it in there.....

10.JPG

1.JPG

4.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

Other threads that may be of interest