Just pictures

johnalison

Visit site
Will SLR cameras last another 10 years? I doubt it. The progress in phone cameras is so great even without a half-decent lens that it will not be too long before the lens issue will be solved. Add good waterproofing and we will all be able to make spectacular sailing pictures, that is if we go out in those circumstances. So far I have always put my camera away when it got wet and missed the best shots
Yes. Cameras have specific advantages, many of them to do with their size, such as almost limitless zoom, and their large sensors can cope with low light and the need to limit noise much better for critical applications. Until they can make a phone camera usable with one hand in bright sunlight, I will stick to my camera, as well as for the other reasons I mentioned. I have a smart phone, but it is very basic and I only use the camera very occasionally. I don't see it as any kind of competition, but see cameras as an addition to the camera repertoire, just as the box Brownie was in the days of plate cameras.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Will SLR cameras last another 10 years? I doubt it. The progress in phone cameras is so great even without a half-decent lens that it will not be too long before the lens issue will be solved. Add good waterproofing and we will all be able to make spectacular sailing pictures, that is if we go out in those circumstances. So far I have always put my camera away when it got wet and missed the best shots
Well, if you want a decent zoom or telephoto facility, you won't get it in the form-factor of a phone; the optics simply don't allow it.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I know, but wasn’t that what we said about resolution a couple of years ago?
Yes, but that was overcome by improvements in the fabrication of semiconductor devices. I was involved with aerial photography and we couldn't go for electronic cameras for a long time because of the lack of resolution, but we knew that the resolution would be available one day, and looked ahead for it (it was also getting increasingly difficult to get the large (8") negatives processed!). But Zoom and telephoto ability is down to optics, and the physics simply doesn't permit a smaller size with the same capability.

Concerto

Visit site
Despite using my iPhone I also have a Canon DSLR with a good telephone lens. Believe it or not but I still find the iPhone the easiest to grab and use. It also has the advantage of being much lighter to hold so can be used with one hand and is splashproof. The DSLR is used a lot for items I sell in my eBay, probably 300 to 500 photographs a week.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

My phone is a Nokia 9 Pureview - IMHO, one of the best phones around when it comes to photography.

For decent zoom (without losing resolution) I feel a good DSLR with an good lense is still superior.
I don't see DSLR cameras going the same way as Kodachrome quite just yet.

Re your post #223 and retirement: I may have mentioned it this Summer in Fecamp, but don't hang around. Go for it as soon as humanly possible. Was my best carreer move - bar none.
For the last two years, I have been sending X-mas cards to the FPD/SFP - best emplorer - ever.

Aquaboy

Visit site
my brother has been hunting around for a new camera to do his YouTube channel stuff. Was about to get the latest Gopro because of the slowmo and image stabilization. Went for a second hand Galaxy phone instead, half the price and does everything he needs.

johnalison

Visit site
my brother has been hunting around for a new camera to do his YouTube channel stuff. Was about to get the latest Gopro because of the slowmo and image stabilization. Went for a second hand Galaxy phone instead, half the price and does everything he needs.
Which goes to show that it is the nut behind the viewfinder that matters. There are few bad cameras, but some of them involve compromises that can make operation difficult. The shutter delay in earlier digital cameras is a case in point. What matters is that the camera suits the demands to be made on it. Last year I went to see the wildlife photographer of the year display in the Natural History museum and the photos were blown up to about 45”. The definition and sense of reality of the best ones were amazing, and quite out of the range of my advanced compact or a phone camera.

johnalison

Visit site
You can, but by the time you have got the kit out and fixed it in place your subject will be long gone, probably. It will have some applications but will not be helpful for those who like to take action photos. An eye-level viewfinder goes a long way towards steadying the camera, which can be critical with a telephoto lens, even with stabilistaion, as well as making it possible to aim the camera rifle-fashion at a moving subject instead of peering at a LCD screen, possibly in sunlight.

ThomasW

Visit site
The Rocks, 5 May 2018.
IMG-3279.jpg

Adnams! Good stuff. I recently visited their brewery when I was in Suffolk. Good times and so many delicious beers!

johnalison

Visit site
Adnams! Good stuff. I recently visited their brewery when I was in Suffolk. Good times and so many delicious beers!
I did my first job in Ipswich in 1963. The local served Watney’s but after a few weeks changed to Adnams, which didn’t do my liver any good at all.

Other threads that may be of interest