Just pictures

Concerto

Visit site
A few more photos from yesterday. They show some changes in the weather.

IMG_2019 1000pix.jpg
Garrison Point, Sheerness

IMG_2020 1000pix.jpg
The RAM drilling rig currently stored at Sheerness

IMG_2023 1000pix.jpg
Heading towards Southend near Sea Reach

IMG_2024 horizontal 1000pix.jpg
It was choppy and you can see some spray and the deck is wet back to the shrouds.

IMG_2025 1000pix.jpg
Southend Pier

IMG_2027 1000pix.jpg
A rain shower was just passing through

IMG_2034 1000pix.jpg
Looking south west towards Chatham and looking very settled.

IMG_2036 1000pix.jpg
Now looking north and the light catching some clouds, but looked redder in reality.

Certainly a day with changeable weather with strong winds that abated later, rain and a reasonable sunset.

Concerto

Visit site
Nice pics Concerto, looks a grand day's sailing.
They were taken on my iPhone SE and I love the detail. The phone has a protective rubber cover besides now being splash proof. Whilst sailing I keep it under the sprayhood so I can quickly capture any moment that catches my eye .......................provided I am not busy tacking or similar. The videos are looking good, but I am working on several videos taken on my old iPhone 5s, one is finished of Concerto under spinnaker and is 5 minutes long, but before I load it to youtube I want to create several more. Just wait for a new thread with the links.

Concerto

Visit site

westhinder

Visit site
I like photos 3 and 4 best. Looks like photo 5 is cropped from photo 4 or on maximum zoom, hence it is slightly out of focus due to low resolution.
Nr 5 was taken just after 4, with my old iPhone 6 at maximum zoom, hence indeed the grainy picture. Like many of us, I do not any longer always carry around my camera, but settle for the convenience of the phone at the expense of quality. The next phone has a much improved camera, but I have promised myself that I will be using my camera much more intensively when I retire and will have much more time (says he naively)

Concerto

Visit site
Nr 5 was taken just after 4, with my old iPhone 6 at maximum zoom, hence indeed the grainy picture. Like many of us, I do not any longer always carry around my camera, but settle for the convenience of the phone at the expense of quality. The next phone has a much improved camera, but I have promised myself that I will be using my camera much more intensively when I retire and will have much more time (says he naively)
The photos I posted were taken on an iPhone SE 2020 and the camera is brilliant. The only problem is the resolution is so good I have to reduce the file image to post on here down to a maximum 1000 pixel wide from just over 4000 pixel. The view of Ramsgate harbour has been cropped at original resolution to show the clarity of the original photo. As the new iPhone 12 has just been released the SE model has just been reduced in price. It has the sme chip as the iPhone 11, so it is a very good phone with an excellent camera.

IMG_1956 cropped.jpg

johnalison

Visit site
The photos I posted were taken on an iPhone SE 2020 and the camera is brilliant. The only problem is the resolution is so good I have to reduce the file image to post on here down to a maximum 1000 pixel wide from just over 4000 pixel. The view of Ramsgate harbour has been cropped at original resolution to show the clarity of the original photo. As the new iPhone 12 has just been released the SE model has just been reduced in price. It has the sme chip as the iPhone 11, so it is a very good phone with an excellent camera.
There must be some trade-off for the lack of size, but I imagine that clever software makes up for much. My Panasonic TX100 cost around £700 and fits into a pocket, but I imagine that one of these clever phones would set you back even more. I do have the advantage of an eye-piece viewfinder and readily accessible menus through function buttons, allowing me instant choice of spot metering, 4K burst, macro mode, dynamic focussing or even mute should I need them, as well as touch-screen adjustment of focussing position, which I use a lot. I can also operate it without donning spectacles.

Concerto

Visit site
There must be some trade-off for the lack of size, but I imagine that clever software makes up for much. My Panasonic TX100 cost around £700 and fits into a pocket, but I imagine that one of these clever phones would set you back even more. I do have the advantage of an eye-piece viewfinder and readily accessible menus through function buttons, allowing me instant choice of spot metering, 4K burst, macro mode, dynamic focussing or even mute should I need them, as well as touch-screen adjustment of focussing position, which I use a lot. I can also operate it without donning spectacles.
The iPhone SE now starts at £399 for the smallest memory. Buy iPhone SE

westhinder

Visit site
Will SLR cameras last another 10 years? I doubt it. The progress in phone cameras is so great even without a half-decent lens that it will not be too long before the lens issue will be solved. Add good waterproofing and we will all be able to make spectacular sailing pictures, that is if we go out in those circumstances. So far I have always put my camera away when it got wet and missed the best shots

Other threads that may be of interest