Jet Ski's at Sheerness

Debennut

Visit site
Reported in the Kent Messenger yesterday, that a Peel Ports rib was "harrased" by jet skis, resulting in the RNLI having to go and assist them.
Any truth in the report? If so, are the perpetrators being identified with a view to prosecution?

Last edited:

Cantata

Visit site
Hadn’t heard that but I was on a mooring at Queenborough most of yesterday, there was a bunch of jet skis launched there and it was all pretty dreadful at times. I’ve raised it with the Medway Swale Boating Association and with the Harbour Trust.

oldgit

Visit site
The rib is on hire from small local company, do know both the likely crew and both of them have had been threatened verbally and physically in the past.
Would have thought this would have been a job for the police rib rather than the local RNLI crew. ?

Cantata

Visit site
Perhaps Peel Ports will take an interest in getting something done now. Getting local authorities to control the launch sites has been highly effective at Herne Bay, for instance. Swale Council could start with the Town Hard at Queenborough, where we witnessed dreadful behaviour by a load of these people on Monday. At Herne Bay they have to pay an annual launch fee, show proof of insurance and RYA training, and have proper silencers fitted. That did the trick!

Twyfordbridge

Visit site
RNLI Sheerness reported on their Facebook page that they were called to a Yacht being harassed by jet skis and that one person was in the water. On arrival found it was not a Yacht but the Harbour Masters RIB. No one had gone overboard but both were soaked during the event. ......... on the same post they report being called 2 hours later to assist jet skiers stuck in the mud near kingsferry. Rescued them from mud but left their jet skis for them to collect later.
..... I hope they took photos of the jet skis and showed them to the Harbour Master launch crew to see if they were their ‘harrassers’

oldgit

Visit site
Both the lads on the HM rib are experienced water users, their rib is a pretty substantial and fast piece of kit and not some toy inflatable.
This could have been a deliberate and possibly coordinated event and might suggest urgently needs further Police investigation , rather than being regarded by Peel Ports as just another bit of bad behavior from a small unrepresentitive group of PWC users ?
Could well understand if the company involved decided the job was not worth the hassle involved.

A lifting barrier and camera at the slip might help.
Locals could still put small dinghy and trolley under the barrier but it might deter PWC launches unless they were prepared to drag their
de-trailered vessels across the concrete and down to the water . Quite some distance at LW.
Perhaps the pub/ local shop might like to sell access tokens.

Last edited:

Twyfordbridge

Visit site
Both the lads on the HM rib are experienced water users, their rib is a pretty substantial and fast piece of kit and not some toy inflatable.
This could have been a deliberate and possibly coordinated event and might suggest urgently needs further Police investigation , rather than being regarded by Peel Ports as just another bit of bad behavior from a small unrepresentitive group of PWC users ?
Could well understand if the company involved decided the job was not worth the hassle involved.

Locals could still put small dinghy and trolley under the barrier but it might deter PWC launches unless they were prepared to drag their
de-trailered vessels across the concrete and down to the water . Quite some distance at LW.
Unfortunately I think any lifting barrier would be ripped off within days of being installed. Decent cameras would be a help. Perhaps Swale Borough Council could work with Peel Ports on these matters. The council should surely want to minimise anti social behaviour in their area by the waterside. Queenborough attracts quite a few visiting UK and non UK visitors. What impression of Queenborough do they go away with after visiting ?
A camera at the top of the slipway could easily record details vehicles towing jet skis and monitor there use in that area. A lot of the bad behaviour happens close to slipway where they can show off to onlookers.

tidclacy

Visit site
Jet Skis Ba
Was having a blissful run up the south of Northey with tide and wind with me.
6 of them came by to spoil my reverie. Not going to fast but had loud music blaring out.

Should be banned!

johnalison

Visit site
Jet Skis Ba
Was having a blissful run up the south of Northey with tide and wind with me.
6 of them came by to spoil my reverie. Not going to fast but had loud music blaring out.

Should be banned!
Although there are no doubt jet-ski users who obey the law and there may even be some who are happy to do so and have some consideration for others, but it appears to me at least that jet-skis have a far higher proportion of users varying from thoughtless to criminal than any other kind of water craft. It is because these 'boats' have such a potential for causing both nuisance and harm that so many of us (I presume) wish that they had never been invented or that some form of control were possible.

Bigplumbs

Visit site

You seem to think that all PWC users are bad and should be prevented from launching their craft. PWC users have a right to access the water the same as everyone else. Bad behaviour is wrong but so it taring all with the same brush

xyachtdave

Visit site
You seem to think that all PWC users are bad and should be prevented from launching their craft. PWC users have a right to access the water the same as everyone else. Bad behaviour is wrong but so it taring all with the same brush

Come to the Medway on a hot sunny weekend when the sun is out and the tide is up and you'll not spot any of the well behaved variety of jet ski owner.

They only appear to operate at high speed in the areas they shouldn't and any efforts to have a chat and educate them is pointless, as the harbour master found out.

Unfortunately their behaviour in this area isn't a couple of idiots giving them a bad name, I'd go as far to say I've never seen one used responsibly.

These responsible owners may exist elsewhere on the East Coast but I'd say when they are launching at a ramp the has signs saying 'No Jet Skis' and a map showing the speed limits etc, and they ignore all this, then go out of their way to cause aggro and misbehave etc etc...a ban seems like a good idea.

MoodySabre

Visit site
A friend sailing off West Mersea was recently asked by a jetskier for directions to Brightlingsea. Last year I was asked the way to Bradwell on Sea. The guy with a kid on the back clearly thought it would be a seaside resort! Says a lot about their responsible approach to being on the water.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
A friend sailing off West Mersea was recently asked by a jetskier for directions to Brightlingsea. Last year I was asked the way to Bradwell on Sea. The guy with a kid on the back clearly thought it would be a seaside resort! Says a lot about their responsible approach to being on the water.
I forget which country, but it requires a licence/ticket for anything that can do over 10 knots.
I'm not saying that the UK should adopt this, but at the moment it sends a message that there can't be too much to it . Fortunately, all water users don't come to much harm and soon realise what's involved. I don't know about other water users but I often cringe thinking about things I did in the early days. Not that they stop now but not so often. 😁

oldgit

Visit site
We have a wide selection of types of river users sharing the pristine crystal clear waters of the Merdeway including commercial craft and mostly we get along just fine.
Just upstream from our moorings we have the Kent Boat and Ski Club. Kent Boat and Ski Club and not that far away a popular PWC launch site at Kings Ferry Bridge.
As for thinking that all PWC users are beyond the pale , thats one of my grandsons on this particular pocket rocket, the skipper a member of my boat club.
1723881260910.jpeg

I chickened out regards an offer of quick spin due to cowardice , thanks all the same :)

ylop

Visit site
What a fabulous idea.

Apart from the perpetrators of antisocial nuisance behaviour on the water themselves of course, who could reasonably object to that?
Me (I’ve never been on one and don’t currently own a boat that can do >10knots).

Who is going to police such a rule?
Who is going to pay for policing it?
Do you believe the antisocial ones would comply?

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Me (I’ve never been on one and don’t currently own a boat that can do >10knots).

Who is going to police such a rule?
Who is going to pay for policing it?
Do you believe the antisocial ones would comply?
In a world where everybody is bound up in restriction, form filling and licensing, saltwater sailing and boating is pretty much under the radar. Perhaps we can tolerate the odd jet skier that gets bored quickly and makes a nuisance of himself.