Jackstays - Fitting of:

G

I am in the process of fitting jackstays to the boat and have a couple of queries regarding this. I have two strong points to connect them either side but it is the connection with these points. I can buy the strap off the roll as it were, but how do I create the loop and connect it to the secure point. Thoughts are to take the unfinished strap to a sail shop and ask them to sew the loop in?

Any thoughts, please!

Cheers,

Rich.

G

Re: Jackstays - Fitting of: measure..

the distance between your fitting points allowing for the largest run of the jackstays. Then ring up Jimmy Greens and get them to make them for you complete with loops and shackles. Excellent service and they came on the day I asked. I originally measured 6.47m but increased the order to 6.50m lengths, maybe could have done with slightly longer.

G

Re: Jackstays - Fitting of: measure..

I had mine made up by measuring the length between strong points - less the length of the shackles - and getting my local sailmakers to sew the loops into the tape I had already bought. It worked out cheaper than having them tailor made.

G

I had webbing straps already fitted when I bought my current boat. The first time I was single-handed and needed to get back to the cockpit fast, from the bows, the Gibb safety hook had so much friction as I was running that it brought me up rather short. I took them off that night and had proper stainless steel ones made from 8mm stainless steel wire with swaged end fittings tested to 1/2 tonne. IMHO Straps are useful for holding down batteries.

Ken