It's How You Use It

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
It\'s How You Use It

In the current PBO article entitled 'How Far Do You Want To Go' the author repeatedly states that a 28ft boat is no good for long distance cruising. Apparently 31ft is the minimum. (Strangely, this is the length of the author's own boat).

Also, in many threads on here posters constantly exhort newcomers to the sport to 'buy the biggest you can afford'.

Many safe, comfortable long passages have been made in yachts of 28ft LOA or less. A vessel of this size is not just cheaper to buy, it is also much cheaper to maintain. The overall cost per mile will be much less, and so you will be able to go further on your budget.

It's not the size, it's how you use it - although there is no doubt that many wives or partners may prefer a bigger one. (Boat, that is!)

- Nick

BlueMoment.Com
http://www.bluemoment.com

Eudorajab

Visit site
Re: It\'s How You Use It

Its not only that but the most important thing for me is what is the biggest I can comfortably handle on my own including berthing etc etc etc. For me the optimum size for distance and handling is 36' which is why I have one. However, I do remember reading somewhere that the average size of seasoned circumnavigaors boats is round the 28' mark as they offer both enough space as well as the ability to handle easily over long distances. No doubt the budgetary considerations come into force and no doubt the preference of the partners play a huge part. From my own experience, having owned a 26' Flyer (Mystere that is) which did just that but offered very little in the way of creature comforts, compared to my current 36' baby, certainly my wife and daughter are far more willing to undertake longer voyages. This in turn enables me to increase the size of the "budget" because it is something we all enjoy. Cant say I would necessarily be able to justify the increase otherwise. So I guess it sortof cuts both ways.

charles_reed

Visit site
Perhaps that\'s not the only factor

Any boat is a compromise answer to a load of conflicting requirements.

However the most valid advice, IMHO, that you can give to anyone purchasing a boat is "Go for the longest LWL you can afford..."

After all the LWL benefits:
Stowage capacity
Load-carrying capacity
Seakindliness
Speed
Comfort

Only the didatic bother with terms like "Always", "Never".
I'd make a very good case for a 31' being the ideal length for long-distance cruising - but many have said to me that the minimum they'd consider going to sea in is 34'.
I think the Atlantic has been crossed in a vessel of less than 5'.

In the final analysis you end up with the most adequate compromise your pocket can run to.

Whiskey2

Visit site

That is a great site Roger I am looking forward to reading all of it, I own a 27ft Moody which last week my wife and I sailed to St Malo via the Channel islands we intend to continue the trip to La Rochelle and maybe Spain this autumn.
This is our first year sailing and we are learning fast. Two things we have picked up from this forum that concern us in a small boat are; If you think you may need to put a reef in, then reef, and don't go out if there there is a 6 in the forecast. From my flying background I already know there is always another day to do the trip. Small boats are great! (any one want to buy a good Moody 27 next year) Mel.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

I guess it depends what is meant by long distance cruising. I understood that the deciding factor in the past was the amount of water that could be carried on a trans-Atlantic voyage, setting the figure at somewhere around 32 ft. If you don't wash too often, or use seawater, this could come down. If you take a chance on catching rainwater it comes down more. Fit a watermaker and lower again. If you are singlehanded the requirement is halved, of course. However, since the Atlantic has been crossed many times in vessels smaller than this, the figure can only be regarded as a guideline, taking certain assumptions into consideration.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com

yes it is a good site - it's nothing to do with me BTW, and I don't know the people involved - I came across it through a search engine I think.

There certainly are some advantages to a smaller boat - I can squeeze my First 27 into some really small gaps when bigger boats have to look elsewhere!

I've also taken my boat across the Channel but you do have to pick your weather window. The wind strength is really only part of the equation. I'm quite happy with a F6 behind me, especially if it's with tide. Put the F6 or even a good F4 on the nose with a steep sea and it's a nightmare!

The sea state seems to affect my boat more than anything else if going to windward. Yes you can reef but as it's quite light, like many boats, she won't cut through the waves comfortably. The Vancouver 28 for example might be slower in light winds but in a bigger sea will maintain momentum and be more comfortable.

I'd imagine your Moody is somewhere between the two.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif Roger Holden /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.first-magnitude.co.uk>First Magnitude</A>

G

Small boats go farther - PROVEN

A few years ago ... Yachting Wotrld did an article about this very matter and found that generally smaller boats were far more travelled / uused than the bigger boats often left tied up in marina berths.
They highlighted the two students on a Norman Motor boat about 20ft long, cruising their way along the south coast of UK, another boat was a small 24ft that regularly crossed to C.Isles ... etc.
When bigger boat owners were asked why they were still in marina and not out sailing ... answers ranged from ... its too much trouble to get the crew together, takes time to get out there, have'nt the time from work to spend ... the exceuses were 'feeble' to say the least ... but still added up to the undeniable fact that 'small boats go farther'. You only have to look through Book listings and see the Corribee's / Centaurs etc. etc. that have done some fantastic feats !!!!

RupertW

Visit site
Re: Small boats go farther - PROVEN

I wonder how if the reason that small boats go further is that they are often the first boat that people own, when responsibilites are less and enthusiasm is more.

I know that we sailed our second boat (a First 30E) less than our first boat (a GK24) partly because we'd done nearly all our exciting exploring in the 24 footer, building up from Cherbourg & C.I.s to South Brittany cruises down to Les Sables. Although we took our 31 footer to Spain once we found that the thrill of going past familiar coastlines was less than reaching new ones and with 3 weeks maximum return cruise length we couldn't go much further even in a larger boat.

G

Having spent literally all my life mucking about in boats - I still enjoy near and far destinations. The enjoyment doesn't seem to reduce.

The main point I was making ... was not actually distance, but amount of use ... You only have to stroll around a few marinas / harbours / clubs etc. and you find happier faces with lesser boats than you do with the bigger more expensive jobs ... why ? Because they use their investment more, do not worry so much about 'prestige / fender scrapes etc. etc.'

The quote about the 2 students was a great example of two guys on very limted budget, literally working their way along the coast ... barman here, barman there ... buy enough fuel and stores to make it to the next place etc.

My little alacrity 19ft'r literally wnet as far as present and other larger boats that I have been crew / guest on ... and with a bit more 'adrenaline' as it sailed like a dinghy etc. etc. AND was a darned sight cheaper at the marina destination or whatever !!

peterk

Visit site

hi,
my kind of thread!
I am all for small boats.
Of the six boats I have owned I had the most fun cruising
and 'just messing about' in the three shortest.

after my fine solo trip around the pumpkin on 34-ft 'Tehani'
I left her in Valdivia, Chile
and then bought '
'Spatz' an S&S 22-footer in Los Angeles, California to sail down to 'Tehani'.
I went via Mexico, Clipperton, Galapagos
and Robinson Crusoe Islands.

Please check my website

for details,
first on NEWS,

then
click on the FORUM

scroll down until you find:
'D&H 22 in the open ocean'
on HOW 'Spatz' behaved
in 11.000 miles of
sometimes difficult sailing.

The greatest advantage of smaller cruisers
apart from cheap and soon ready to go
is the reception you get from natives as well as fellow cruisers

Nobody ever mistook me for a fatcat yachtsman.
People didn't see Dollarsigns but a small,
functional long distance cruiser, and a guy in his
umpteenth youth enjoying himself.

I was invited for seafood dinners by dirtpoor Mexican fishermen
but also abord a 135 foot megayacht for cocktails

On Robinson Crusoe Island:
' your yate(yacht!) is SHORTER than our open day-fishing boats!'
Everybody smiled.
Ashore(500 inhabitants) I was physically dragged into almost
every house to be treated as a guest
and bombarded with questions.
I got a facial cramp from grinning while eating...

I did not always sail solo. My later wife and I cruised
the Sea of Cortez(Gulf of California, Mexico)
for a year in our 20'4' Al Mason designed Carinita sloop 'Lumpazi'
...wonderful stuff.

Nothing against big boats.
I believe though that that 'yacht' image (and the money
involved) scares many young people off.
So I am trying to show that it can be done...differently!

...peter, http://www.juprowa.com/kittel

Ohdrat

Visit site

I remember reading somewhere that there is a school of thought that reckons 26 -27 ft as the ideal length for ocean cruising due to the average wavelength or period between crests... It really depends how many people (and amount of kit/supplies) you intend to take on long cruises...

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site

Mel,

If your Moody 27 is so good, why are you selling it?
And why next Year?

??????

Whiskey2

Visit site

This year we are spending the winter (we have a seasonal business and our children are now in there 20's) in and around La Rochelle working on the boat and sailing when the weather is good, next year we would like to get to somewhere warmer for the winter, Canaries at least, which i think means getting at least a 35ft yacht.
It is a shame because we enjoy sailing our Moody and she has all the toy's including a new engine. Eventually the plan is to take a few years out and go and see a few places. Mel.

gtmoore

Visit site

Magician is indeed a nice yacht - viewed her at Haslar last year (assuming it's the same one of course!)

gtmoore

Visit site

It was early days for me and I hadn't decided exactly what I wanted - I went for a 29 in the end which while wasn't in such good condition, it gave me more space that I needed and. like Magician, also had a recent engine. It's not quite as modern looking as yours though.

It's currently being epoxied due to osmosis found in the survey and I have some pictures of what we've done in the meantime at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtmaster.org/Calypso1>http://www.yachtmaster.org/Calypso1</A> if you are interested.

What struck me about Magician was how unused everything looked down below - I think we would have definitely put in an offer had we gone for a 27!!

pugwash

Visit site

The Hiscocks sailed around the world twice in impeccable style in a 30-footer. Even baked their own bread in mid Pacific. They were much happier with this boat than the larger ketch in which they sailed subsequently, and later changed back to the smaller size. In my opinion the difference between 28ft and 31ft, or even 35, is immaterial. You just have to adapt yourself to it.

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com

In 1975 my Alacrity Weekender 18ft 6in took me and my girlfriend from Weymouth to Menorca via Biscay and Midi/Lateral , and back 6 months solid cruising on a budget of 400 quid and that included fuel berthing fees and food..

Mind you girlfriend (Anne) could play guitar and sing.. and used to top up the budget by busking and playing in bars .....sigh....life was so simple then....Nick

G

Check out PBO Reader to Reader ... guy there wants to buy Alacrity ... he'll be interested in your exploits !