Its confirmed - I'm a grumpy and pompous old man

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Lovely day today - following some lovely days on the water last week. The children drove over to have lunch with us on the boat and we motored up the Tamar and had an ambitious (for the boat) lunch of roast lamb, roast potatoes, broccoli with cheese sauce, carrots and peas etc.

Slightly marred by me attempting to wave at a boat load of children which we overtook as we went up the river. An Elan 333 with seven children on board. They were about 20 metres away as we overtook and I waved to the children. Nothing. Some turned their backs. One stared so I waved again. The parents took no notices and one child continued to stare with mouth wide open.

My mistake was waving again and shouting, "You are allowed to wave back you know!"

My own children then disowned me, shouted at me, and told me to behave myself. I got cross - partly with myself for allowing myself to get wound up by what I considered to be rude behaviour of the other children and with myself for matching it by my own rudeness in calling out to them.

We saw the same children later in the day - for some reason the parents (?) had parked the boat on our club pontoon for the afternoon while the children went crabbing. No problem with that - and I even like children and try to be forbearing - but they were rude and pushed passed us and were for the large part entirely without grace. They were heard to mutter, 'Is that him?'

Our own children would never have been allowed to behave in such a way... which just goes to show that I am now a confirmed grumpy and pompous old man.

My wife as headteacher of a primary school despairs at the rudeness of children. She insists that they reply to her when she says good morning. Sadly some parents stand there when the child says nothing and explains with a coy smile and a giggle that the child, "isn't talking today". As soon as the parents are gone, the child is reminded that they don't have a choice about answering to 'Good morning", and it costs nothing to be polite and answer when spoken to....

islandsailor

Visit site
Sorry to hear that.

Have to say (and realise I am biased) but I have bought my two children (5 & 8) up to be very polite and I am amazed sometimes at how rude adults are to them at times - so maybe society is changing or perhaps I am also turning into a grumpy old man!

john_morris_uk

Sorry to hear that.

Have to say (and realise I am biased) but I have bought my two children (5 & 8) up to be very polite and I am amazed sometimes at how rude adults are to them at times - so maybe society is changing or perhaps I am also turning into a grumpy old man!
Ironically, I am full of sympathy over children with tantrums - so long as the parents aren't trying to reason with them! When ours had tantrums, they very quickly realised that it was no fun having a tantrum on your own. Separation - back to the car - or out of the shop - or if we were home, we would walk out of the room and leave them to it. They soon learn that tantrums DID NOT produce attention, but I don't want to drift my own thread.

Mea culpa - it appears I am what my children call a GOM.

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Normally I read threads on this forum and end up thinking people should "lighten up". Other peoples stories about being cut-up by this or that or indulging in the deepest discussion of colregs, little hire boats etc. all do not feature on my more "laid back" boating approach. However I also had my "Grumpy Old Man" moment today as did my teenager at exactly the same time about exactly the same thing. As we were trying to recover the boat at Calshot slip we not only had to cope with the usual trials of recovering a boat with an audience but also had to deal with children swimming off the slip whilst other children raced around flat out on Jet-Skis between the boats. Quite simply someone is going to get seriously injured or even killed. Meanwhile the parents sat on the beach watching this going on.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
My mistake was waving again and shouting, "You are allowed to wave back you know!"

Maybe they weren't. Some people are absolutely paranoid about talking to strangers, and teach their children from an early age never to respond to people they don't know. It's rude, pointless and counterproductive, and I don't think your response was at all out of place.

john_morris_uk

Maybe they weren't. Some people are absolutely paranoid about talking to strangers, and teach their children from an early age never to respond to people they don't know. It's rude, pointless and counterproductive, and I don't think your response was at all out of place.
In the cold light of the next day, you may be right. Some of the parents at Gillian's school have an exactly similar paranoia and you can see the children refusing to speak to people because 'all strangers are potentially nasty people'.

fitlike

Visit site
We (my son and I) were out sailing last week. After we came in, I was busy tidying up the boat. My son went over to a small hill enjoying the nice weather. When 5 teenagers started to throw stones at him. He came back to the boat most upset, I told him to stay with me, anyway not ten minutes later they started to throw stones at us, missing us by inches. That was it, I was up the ladder and after them, but they just ran for it. Spoke to a few people then and it seems these kids had been throwing stones at quite a few people.

Anyway no one seemed to be doing anything, so I phoned the police, gave them all the details and waited, and waited. I was there a further 3 hours and no sign of the police. Someone could easily have been seriously hurt, yet they're too busy to show up.

Not very impressed with the local youth and the local police.

Greg2

Visit site
We brought our two up to be polite and I have always been mildly surprised that, throughout their lives, people (adults) have always commented on how pleasant and polite they are, often contrasting them to other children.
Now, of course, like most parents I am very proud of my kids and I don't want to take anything away from them, but it must say something when it is worthy of comment that a child has been polite.

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com
... whilst other children raced around flat out on Jet-Skis between the boats. Quite simply someone is going to get seriously injured or even killed. Meanwhile the parents sat on the beach watching this going on.

One of the joys of sailing in France the way the French rigorously enforce the rules on jet skis.

In my marina in South west France, three jet skiers were arrested for exceeding the 2 kph speed limit in the marina and one for endangering life as he skied (or whatever they do) towards the beach outside of the buoyed approach.

One of them was actually jailed!

The only thing that stops people breaking the rules of society is the chance of being caught. Penalties are no deterrent just watch people driving, where there is no camera everybody exceeds the speed limit, where there is one, hardly any one does. Same with children and jet skiers but when you do catch them enforce the penalty.

I speak after many years as a Magistrate.

Hey ho off to walk the dog in the rain

FistralG

Visit site
Slightly marred by me attempting to wave at a boat load of children which we overtook as we went up the river. An Elan 333 with seven children on board. They were about 20 metres away as we overtook and I waved to the children. Nothing. Some turned their backs. One stared so I waved again. The parents took no notices and one child continued to stare with mouth wide open.

My mistake was waving again and shouting, "You are allowed to wave back you know!"...

The boating world seems to be divided into wavers and non wavers. Same with the rest of life. I've had neighbours who i've hardly spoken to as they keep themselves to themselves, others who I've had long friendly conversations with as we meet going in and out.
I accept it as one of those differences that make the world an interesting place and appreciate it all the more when one gets a quick response to a cheery wave to a fellow boater.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
In the cold light of the next day, you may be right. Some of the parents at Gillian's school have an exactly similar paranoia and you can see the children refusing to speak to people because 'all strangers are potentially nasty people'.

It's sad for the children, because having cold hostility to strangers trained into them will not - to put it mildly - make their lives any easier, at school or beyond.

It also, I am sure, contributes to the brattishness under comment in another thread. It's not a huge logical step from seeing strangers as not worthy of conversation to seeing them as not worthy of consideration. Conversely, children who are used to thinking of strangers as potentially interesting and friendly people are more likely to treat them with courtesy.

D

Deleted member 36384

.... and I waved to the children. Nothing. Some turned their backs....

Motorcyclists used to wave to one another, not anymore, or at least its not that common, even among older motorcyclists. One of the things I do like about marinas and sailing, is that in general people are friendly and acknowledge presence by an appropriate salutation.

To me its important to keep being considerate and friendly despite the occasional rebuff as I believe that people are instinctively accommodating and this must be encouraged to the fore.

There are some awkward gits with their families around though.

jimmynoboat

Visit site
Waving to everyone you see in and around a place a busy as Plymouth Sound can be exhausting ... but I still do it! Further out I'll even enter the details in my log.

Soon I'll be waving bye-bye and I hope I get some responses. Those that don't return the wave but do stare can be unsettling. I'm sure that's why they do it.

Resolution

Visit site
The boating world seems to be divided into wavers and non wavers. Same with the rest of life. I've had neighbours who i've hardly spoken to as they keep themselves to themselves, others who I've had long friendly conversations with as we meet going in and out.
I accept it as one of those differences that make the world an interesting place and appreciate it all the more when one gets a quick response to a cheery wave to a fellow boater.

Let's keep on waving; it's one of life's little courtesies that costs nothing and gives pleasure.