It's all a little fast this morning

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: It\'s all a little fast this morning

8 kilometers per hour (4.2knts) over ground upstream of Teddington.

I know, I know. We don't make the rules!

When the red boards are out, you can exceed that just floating with the stream with no steerage, and putting on an extra 4 knots won't make any wash and allow steerage but is technically illegal.

byron

RIP
Visit site

Strangely enough the speed limit is over the ground so when the river is running like this you could be going astern but still travelling forwards and exceeding the limit.
Their speed radar equipment cannot make adjustments for river flow as this can vary from place to place.
This is why the old and trusted method where an Inspector made his judgement based on wash coupled to common sense as to whether a craft was being driven dangerously was a far more sensible way of dealing with matters.

Gavi

Visit site

Welcome, vicar. True... but the speed of the water itself is what is fascinating me. Being new to this parish it is something of a novelty. Quite a scary one last night!

TrueBlue

Visit site
Re: Sgeir

No, it's speed over the ground probably because it's a might bit more difficult to measure speed through the water. It certainly was when they drafted the regulations back in the glorious days of the Thames Conservancy.

In any event to my imperfect knowledge there have been no recent prosecutions for speeding, and if there have it's most probably down to small speed boats with big engines.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com

Thanks for the answers folks.

I must admit, as one who knows hee-haw about river boating (some may say about anything...), the concept of being fined for speeding astern while trying to go ahead is, errrrmm, a strange one.

bradtarga34

Visit site

I am going to check on my little bay on the way home as river level looked pretty high when I headed over Walton Bridge this morning. Hopefully my trip should be a bit less dramatic and scary than Brendon's /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Gavi

Visit site

One thing I have learnt from this is that cats DO have a 6th sense

Yesterday:
Felixnothappy.jpg

Today:

Felixwasright.jpg

/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site

Don't forget when the water recedes you are banned from using a hose to wash all the mud off your jetty. There's a water shortage and a hosepipe ban you see /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome, vicar. True... but the speed of the water itself is what is fascinating me. Being new to this parish it is something of a novelty. Quite a scary one last night!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmm....meant to warn you about that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

petermills

Visit site

Those of who know the Thames well do believe that dredging would be the most sensible thing to do BUT the Environment Agency sold off its dredgers some years ago and they are now trying to kid us that the Thames is self-scouring (what a joke!) Millions of pounds after the JR was built and the project cannot deliver its design objectives (it's only tax payers money).

Chris_d

Visit site

Yes but you are allowed to connect it to a pressue washer and use that instead to clean a patio, just not allowed to wave it near the flowers or car /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif