Is there some trick to make wiper arms push harder?

Visit site
As one of my old wiper arms simply broke off due to extensive corrosion I got a new arm, and new wipers for both of my wheelhouse windows fitted with wipers. I was probably hoping for too much, cause I was realy disapointed seeing the result. The wipers only touch like 75% of the window. The new wiper, expensive parallell wiper arm is worse than the old one. Went and got a wiper with a flexible body. Didnt help. Is there some trick one can do to give the wiper arms more squeeze? Shims or something...

Perhaps I just have to polish the windows realy good, so the water just runs off :)

Anyone see any adjustment possibilities in this picture?
IMG_0042.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

Sunny day, dirty windows.

Plum

Visit site
As one of my old wiper arms simply broke off due to extensive corrosion I got a new arm, and new wipers for both of my wheelhouse windows fitted with wipers. I was probably hoping for too much, cause I was realy disapointed seeing the result. The wipers only touch like 75% of the window. The new wiper, expensive parallell wiper arm is worse than the old one. Went and got a wiper with a flexible body. Didnt help. Is there some trick one can do to give the wiper arms more squeeze? Shims or something...

Perhaps I just have to polish the windows realy good, so the water just runs off :)

Anyone see any adjustment possibilities in this picture?

Sunny day, dirty windows.
Can't help with the wiper but this stuff makes a significant improvement Rain-X 2in1 Glass Cleaner & Rain Repellent 500ml | Halfords UK

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Various thoughts. (5a is my currently favoured starting point.) -

1) Contact the supplier and manufacturer? What they've supplied doesn't seem to do the trick.

2) As harvey38 suggests, stronger springs. (Finding suitable length and strength springs might be challenging.)

3) Drilling a new hole in the wiper arm to put the pin for the lower end of the spring a little further from the pivot (i.e. stretching the spring further) should, I think, have the same effect as getting a stronger spring.

4) As would replacing the wire 'link' to which the top end of the spring is attached with something shorter. (If in doing so it can be arranged that the top of the spring is held further from the wiper arm and nearer the bulkhead (i.e. aft in this installation) this will increase the advantage of the spring.

5) I can't see whether the surface the wiper is mounted on is in line with, or even parallel to, the plane of the window but . . .
- a) there is some noticeable 'spare' length of the threaded collar of the wiper axle projecting above the securing nut - i.e. the wiper arm is mounted further from the mounting surface than it need be. Presumably the additional length is to facilitate mounting on a thicker bulkhead than you have. You could put a spacer (the thicknesss of the the length of currently exposed thread) on the inside of the bulkhead, moving the motor etc. back and bringing the wiper arm closer to the plane of the window.
- b) instead of, or in addition to the above, you could you perhaps pack under the upper side of the plate the wiper is mounted on to tilt it more towards the window.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
I can confirm that Rain-X is amazingly good if you can use it regularly. Once drove Dover to Austria in pouring rain all the way and never had to use the wipers, rain just blew off screen.

greeny

Visit site
AS said previously - stronger springs, or re drill the arm further down to relocate the spring locating pin thus stretching the existing spring a bit more may exert a bit more pressure on the blade.

Stemar

Visit site
As a first bodge, I'd just bend the flat bit of the arm in, so the spring works harder. It worked on some of my older cars whose "aerodynamics" were designed to lift the wiper off the screen when you got above about 40.

ianat182

Visit site
Can I make a guess that this problem is perhaps a common one and that adjustment may be via the hexagonal brass adjuster on one of the arms shown, so that bending is not required. I may be wrong though.!

ianat182

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Can I make a guess that this problem is perhaps a common one and that adjustment may be via the hexagonal brass adjuster on one of the arms shown, so that bending is not required. I may be wrong though.!

ianat182

That hex nut on the sliver are is to adjust the angle of the pantograph blade.

I have a paragraph wiper on my boat

I had to adjust the length of both arms as the arms were too long for my window